Read 174323 times

• huarachi
  • Waygookin

• March 08, 2011, 12:43:12 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2011, 12:52:37 pm »
Whitespider, thank you so much for this awesome camp! I'm actually looking forward to winter camp now ^^

I've modified the diary so it will read like a book if printed double-sided:

Page 3 should be printed on the back of page 1
Page 4 should be printed on the back of  page 2

Happy New Year~

• karenology
  • Veteran

• October 03, 2010, 06:00:08 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2012, 10:47:55 am »
Thank you so much to whitespider and to everyone else in this thread!  All the materials are really solid and have inspired me to put on an amazing camp! (hopefully, if the little knuckleheads cooperate)

I'm going to class extra early tomorrow to make a "crime scene" - basically a wig under a crumpled blanket, a purse with some mysterious letters and clues, and fake blood drizzled over everything.  Here's a recipe for fake blood in case anyone else wants to ruin their classroom: http://forum.indymogul.com/showthread.php?t=1706

« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2012, 02:20:41 pm »
I'm so excited to do this camp! Whitespider (and everyone else!) you have really gone above and beyond. Wowowowow. Thank you so much for all of your hard work!

Now, I have to ask a really dumb question about the smell cups. How do I know which smell goes in which cup? Why was Dawn killed in the PC bang? Ugh. I just totally did not understand that activity. I feel so stupid. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain that to me.
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke

• junkymia
  • Waygookin

• November 24, 2009, 08:56:15 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2012, 11:15:40 am »
First of all, props to the OP for this awesome camp.  I'm doing it now. 

I was kind of lazy to do the invisible ink thing on Day 5 so I threw together a kind of puzzle slide for the kids to figure out the same "We will use a gun to kill Dawn" message.  It took most of the teams about 5 to 10 minutes to get it. Here it is.
http://www.SeoulTeachers.com - ESL Songs, Videos, and Worksheet Links

• junkymia
  • Waygookin

• November 24, 2009, 08:56:15 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2012, 11:27:39 am »
Attached here is a crime CLOZE fill in the blank supplemental activity.  I think I got it from the Bogglesworld ESL site.

When I've had extra time, I've showed a couple episodes from the Detective Conan animation (English dubbed version).  The kids love that show.  It reinforces a lot of the vocabulary for the camp.

Also for one or two of the camp days, we are going to play the board game CLUE.  We ordered up a few CLUE boards.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:33:52 am by junkymia »
http://www.SeoulTeachers.com - ESL Songs, Videos, and Worksheet Links

« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2012, 08:41:51 am »
This is such an awesome camp. Many thanks to the original creator, whitespider, and all of the other waygookians who have contributed.

Since I'm totally using this for both my afterschool classes (10 classes x 90 mins) and my winter camp (5 classes x 90 mins) I thought I would contribute as well in the form of a workbook!

It will take 10 pages per kid. I fixed a couple of typos, changed one of the key-lock riddles on day 9 to be easier (the answer is the opposite, so if it's < the next one should be >, and if it's ^ the answer should be v, etc.). I also added a "Day 10" page with movie suggestions. The one my class is watching is the 2002 live action Scooby-Doo, and the other four movies are just suggestions for them if they want to watch more "mystery" type movies.

The first attachment is the workbook in chronological order; the second is the workbook in print order. If you use the print order, you have to print double-sided or it won't work.

If your school printer doesn't automatically print double-sided (most of ours won't) then this is what I did:
1. Print one copy of the first page, then draw a scribble somewhere on the page. Reinsert the page into the printer and print the second page to determine the printer's orientation. (For mine, you have to hold the paper horizontally with the side that is already printed facing you, then rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise.)
2. Print # copies of all the odd-numbered pages in chronological order first--1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19--then print all of the even-numbered pages in chronological order--2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20.
3. Fold each page in half, making sure the pages are ordered correctly.
*I also took some extra time to make a quick book-bind using a knitting needle and some yarn, since my kids like to destroy things, but you can just leave it as is.

I also scribbled page numbers on the bottom and had the kids do the same on the first day so you can just tell them "turn to page so-and-so".

• ACofOntario
  • Veteran

• September 27, 2011, 01:38:33 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2012, 11:26:55 am »
I totally just reworked this camp to have Mr. X be the gang boss leader.  We'll see if my kids can figure it out before the end.  Twist ending!! 

Actually, I thought that whitespider was going in this direction from the beginning... the clues are there (Dawn trying to poison mr. X, and then suddenly she disappears?).  Also, why the ominous anonymity of Mr. X?  Who the heck is he anyway?  Well... if you want to have a bit of fun with this camp, I suggest you re-work all the Mr. X files, throw in a couple of pieces of evidence that he is involved with the crime, and make it a twist ending. I'm having a lot of fun making my own Mr. X dialogues.

Once I'm finished with the camp, I'll contribute my version of things...

• Landis
  • Veteran

• August 27, 2011, 09:39:35 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2012, 01:29:46 pm »
Thank you Whitespider and others for your hard work. I am sure this camp will be successful for many teachers and students.

But it just didn't work for me.

My kids were not engaged with the detective theme. I really tried my best, but day 2 bombed horribly. After day 2 I realized I had to go a different direction.

On Day 3 I opened class by saying:

"Guys, I have something very sad to tell you.. Mr. X died."

As anticipated, this statement was met with a loud applause of approval.

I then proceeded to explain that the killer had cut up Mr. X's body into little pieces and hid them around the school. The killer was one of the students in the class. In order to find who the killer was they had to find the pieces of Mr. X's corpse. Then we just did a clue hunt where they had to find Mr. X's decapitated head, brain, eyeballs, tongue, severed feet, hands, lungs, etc.

One kid asked what happened to his "pee pee." I explained that the killer put it in a bowl of kimchi jiggae and ate it for lunch. For some reason they all found that very funny..

Of course the camp is good. Just be sure to adapt it to your teaching style and keep in mind your students' english ability.

Landis
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:32:21 pm by Landis »

• Antz
  • Explorer

• February 22, 2011, 05:36:19 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2012, 08:53:17 pm »
This lesson rocked!! I'll be showing the Simpsons episode of Who Shot Mr. Burns on the last day. Before the end of the video I'll have the students guess who shot Mr.Burns and why. Here's the link with Korean subs if interested.

http://tvpot.daum.net/my/ClipView.do?ownerid=UW__aIHcOLk0&clipid=23037060&page=9&q=&type=&order=date&from=Mypot_Mylist&lu=m_frm_cview_clip_8

« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:29 pm »
Day 9 - last day! OMG!

Nearly there!
First, the students must unlock the door to the base by solving the 4 sequence codes. Then they finish up by 'shooting' the bad guy with screwed up paper. The person that hits him first must answer a review question (I made them up on the spot). If they get it right their team gets a point. Make sure you use differnt coloured balls of paper for each group so you can tell who hit the guy.

I'm not to sure what the answers are for the door locks portion.. could you help me out on this one? :)

• hwana
  • Expert Waygook

• September 29, 2010, 09:19:04 pm
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2012, 02:30:59 pm »
I'm going through this camp now and I have to say it's probably the most fun I've had teaching in the last 6 months or so - I'm loving it and so are the kids!! Thanks so much for uploading this and taking the time to complete the official looking lesson plans too - I have no idea how many hours work you saved me. I also appreciate the bits of Britishism sprinkled throughout the text!!!

I've only got a 5 day camp so I'm doing it at twice the prescribed speed (with 90 mins per day) and it seems about right - luckily my kids were hand picked for camp so they're able to complete each activity pretty quickly.

Anyway, the only bit which I felt I had to change so far was the "I spy" activity on day 3 (my day 2) - I used some images from the site another poster mentioned and changed the hidden to code to "CHECK THE CD". I've uploaded my files in case anybody else wants to use them. IF you do, you'll need to edit the main PPT file to reflect there are only 10 items to find in total.

• JeffBridges
  • Explorer

• August 29, 2011, 09:30:34 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »
I thoroughly enjoyed the camp, it went extremely well.  Thank you for all of your hard work!
I do have one comment though.  The criminal for Day 9 (the guy with the two guns) is the VT killer Seung-Hui Cho.  Most middle school students, and definitely teachers (at least at my school) know who this is.  You might accidentally offend someone, so be cautious.

• ACofOntario
  • Veteran

• September 27, 2011, 01:38:33 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2012, 03:30:17 pm »
I second that request for the locks activity answers on the last day (day 9 activity).... there aren't any instructions for the activity except to figure out the sequence.  A sequence of animals?  Seems a bit arbitrary... Any help? At this point I'm thinking of doing an entirely different code break.

« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
I have 2 questions (my students are asking me these):

Dawn wanted to  poison Mr. X, so he had her killed, right?

Why did Dawn want to kill him?

• MyOhMy1213
  • Explorer

• January 16, 2012, 07:57:43 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school) Directions for all ages
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2012, 09:51:25 pm »
This is a ppt for directions. You can create worksheets using the same pictures or even printouts for a Directions Scavenger hunt!

• joepeger
  • Waygookin

• August 22, 2011, 05:08:36 pm
    • S Korea
Detective PREZI
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2012, 09:36:21 pm »

« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2012, 02:11:12 pm »
I second that request for the locks activity answers on the last day (day 9 activity).... there aren't any instructions for the activity except to figure out the sequence.  A sequence of animals?  Seems a bit arbitrary... Any help? At this point I'm thinking of doing an entirely different code break.

i don't know if it's too late for you, but whitespider explains the door lock sequences on page 5 of this thread.

• laxsftok1
  • Waygookin

• July 27, 2011, 03:18:02 pm
    • south korea
Detective Winter camp
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2012, 09:17:17 am »
Thank you Whitespider. My Mission with my students were successful! I used your materials and modified into into an elementary version. It was amazing.Here is a video I made:
http://vimeo.com/35358948
Bella

• laxsftok1
  • Waygookin

• July 27, 2011, 03:18:02 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2012, 09:18:53 am »
Thank you whitespider for sharing this:My Mission with my students were successful!Here is a video I made for the 10days:
http://vimeo.com/35358948
Bella

• kimjoohui
  • Veteran

• April 05, 2010, 09:22:43 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2012, 01:07:50 pm »
I came across this thread while trying to find a "Choose Your Own Adventure" ppt for my adult students as a warmup for a class about case studies and debate. (Get them into the mindframe for decision making.) Not only did I find a great ppt to use, but this made me feel bummed out that I don't teach younger kids anymore. I would have loved to teach this camp!