Read 174318 times

Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2011, 09:49:35 am »
mycombs

I'm interested in the poster.  Upload it if you can!

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2011, 10:15:49 am »
PLEASE UPLOAD THE POSTER!!! Some of us need all the help we can get, especially when we are competing against other camp programs. Thank you so much and thanks again to Whitespider. You are a lifesaver!

• KiddieCAT
  • Veteran

• October 02, 2010, 11:38:27 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2011, 10:00:30 am »
Hi SORRY can someone help me out? I'm trying to figure out how the GANG guess who and PEOPLE guess who works.

For the gang guess who, do the kids just ask me the questions until they figure out which 3 are the right ones?  Also, for the people, if it's played in pairs, do the kids just choose at random 'the killer' for their partner to guess?

Thanks~ any explanation/confirmation would be appreciated

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2011, 10:27:18 am »
I've got a few questions as I go through this thoroughly to prepare for camp next week.

First - the crime fighting points.  What exactly was your system in awarding these?  How did you keep track and was there a prize at the end of something?  I'm a little confused with those.

Day 7 - The footprint chase - what do the footprints lead to?  Anything?  Also, did you just choose a random name to be the killer?  The letters you speak of which spell the killer's name - these are on the fingerprints, correct?  I couldn't figure out which name you used, but I guess it doesn't matter and I can just change them.

Day 8/9 - Are there answers to the Top 5 mini mystery activity?

Thanks loads for all the materials and ideas!  You saved all of us!

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2011, 11:40:15 am »
KiddieCAT: The gang guess who is basically just to practice the whole 'guess who' thing as a class so the students understand what to do for the peole guess who. You should go through the slides showing them how to work out the gangs which will mean they have less trouble doing the people guess who. Go through the first example in the ppt together then do the other gangs one at a time, get everyone to try asking a question.

For the people guess you should print out the 'people guess who cards' (there are 4 different cards - give one set of 4, 2 cards each, to each pair) and each person should guess the 2 people on thier partner's cards.

mjjhiz27: the points thing is just a points thing. You can use it however you like. I gave a CFP to all the students who finished each activity with no big mistakes. I kept track on the class lists and gave them stickers for the front of thier folders so they could keep track too. There were prizes for 1st and 2nd at the end.

The footprints should lead back to the classroom eventually. The killer's name has to match one of the killers from day 6's guess who. The finderprints say 'the killer's name is eric'

the minimystery for day 8/9 is one of the things I can't track down. I know I got it off the interent somewhere (maybe esl classroom?) but I can't remember where.

• amandas
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2011, 12:42:15 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2011, 01:51:58 pm »
Hi
Ive been having trouble finding/downloading the PPT for Day 7.  I have downloaded the zip file, and for some reason, I dont have it on there.  So I tried to just download it separately and it's in a strange format.  I was wondering if im the only one with this problem or if I am just doing something wrong...
Thanks in advance for your help.

• expat2001
  • Waygookin

• November 30, 2009, 03:02:50 pm
    • korea
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2011, 08:53:34 am »
On day 4 . when thew students are smelling the foods / ingrediants in the paper cups , are the students suppose to be blind folded ?

Has anyone bought invisable ink and where can u buy it ?

• KiddieCAT
  • Veteran

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2011, 08:54:17 am »
hi,
   Thanks white spider for explaining!

I added another question to the Day 1 PPT and their class and skills worksheet.

• KiddieCAT
  • Veteran

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2011, 11:52:27 am »
Hello, in case there are any other elementary teachers doing this...

I changed the diary to have more entries for more camp days (took out the graphic) and changed the days to match a longer camp, (ie my camp is 15 days). Also made the 'how do you feel?' faces bigger/ changed the questions to match different days.

• expat2001
  • Waygookin

• November 30, 2009, 03:02:50 pm
    • korea
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2011, 12:14:45 pm »
In one of the lessons , students were suppose to shoot paper balls at one student.What did u mean by this?

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2011, 03:02:58 pm »
I don't remember that activity specifically (only vaguely), but I think it was probably something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_football

• arhwarang
  • Waygookin

• June 23, 2011, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2011, 08:15:21 am »
the minimystery for day 8/9 is one of the things I can't track down. I know I got it off the interent somewhere (maybe esl classroom?) but I can't remember where.

I believe this was the top 5 PPT you were referring to...

• mariag
  • Adventurer

• October 05, 2009, 08:08:10 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2011, 09:31:02 am »
hi,

whitespider thank you for the fantastic work. your ideas are really impressive. I'm going to use a lot of them in my camp, hopefully it'll go well.

just a quick question about the smelling-the-evidence day. it seems really easy. could the students see what was in the cups? I feel like they will just look and say "that's chocolate, that's coffee" etc. and there won't be much of a challenge. Or do they just get a kick out of the novelty of the whole thing? this really isn't a big deal. I'm just curious more than anything else. So if you have a minute, could you let me know how it worked out for you? thanks!!

« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2011, 03:00:34 pm »
arhwarang: Thank you!

mariag: I had my cups covered with post-its taped to one side so they opened like little doors and I made the students shut their eyes when they smelled things. You only need a little bit of whatever you're using to get the smell and that makes it harder to figure out if they sneak a peek in the cups. My kids had trouble with a few things (dirt, milk and surprisingly egg). You shouldn't let your kids look in the cups because you're right - that would make it way too easy.

• KiddieCAT
  • Veteran

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2011, 03:33:05 pm »
I don't know if it's been done yet, but here's a jazzed up version of the Camp Final Certificate.

Enjoy~

• KiddieCAT
  • Veteran

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2011, 03:37:41 pm »
2003 version if you need it

• mycombs
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2010, 06:39:03 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2011, 03:50:26 pm »
How do students score more "CFPs" and what do they do with them?
"Signature"

• stuman
  • Veteran

• May 13, 2011, 12:31:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »
re: Smells challenge

Put the smelly item in a cup.
Cover the cup with aluminum foil.
Take a small needle and put several holes into the aluminum foil.

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2011, 06:03:12 pm »
Thank you a million times!! I had no idea what I was going to do or how I was going to juggle my time with my own kids and preparing for three different camps at schools!!  ??? You are my hero!!

• mariag
  • Adventurer

• October 05, 2009, 08:08:10 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2011, 09:46:09 pm »
thanks whitespider and stuman. that was probably really obvious but I just didn't think the smells would be that strong if they were covered (should have just tried it out I guess), thanks again!!!