Read 175732 times

Detective Camp!
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:51:44 am »
See the bottom of this page for  Zip files of the whole camp!

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TWO ZIP FILES - don't download all the other files I have uploaded. There are no/less mistakes in the zipped stuff and it will save you downloading a million individual files.

Good luck with your camp  ;)

This is the first day of my winter camp.
If you think you might want to use this camp (or bits of it) let me know and I'll put the rest up  :)

Intro day.
You need to do a fair amount of printing:

Print and make up one 'Detective Diary' per student (.doc on the 4th page of this thread)
Print the 'class and skills' worksheet as well as the logo, ID and Mr. X stuff. (these all need cutting up too)
I made little folder things out of A4 coloured paper for my students to keep all their stuff in so I taped the ID cards to the front of the folders. On the back of folders I had a kind of leveling up points chart where they could earn points to add to their detective skill level (see class and skills worksheet). They could get points for answering questions (bravery) finishing first (speed) and so on.

I planned the lesson to go like this:
1. Say hi, go over rules, points and whatnot.
2. Listen to the first 'Mr X' talk. Have studnets fill in the blanks on the first Mr  worksheet. Check they understand that they will be detectives during camp and must solve a mystery.
3. Tell the students they must first find out what class of detective they are. Go through the ppt while students work on the first part of the 'class and skills' worksheet. When they're done you can get them to draw a picture of their class or print out some pics to glue on.
4. Have the students find out what skills they have (2nd part of the 'class and skills' worksheet) using the questions in the ppt. Make up a story/situation for each picture and get the students to pick what they would do (A B C or D) This gets them their base skill level which you can add to with points for answering questions and whatnot if you want to.
5.  Then the students should make a logo and a name for their group/detective agency. This is the group they will stay in for the rest of camp

All this took my kids about an hour, then I let them have a break for 10 mins.

6. After they'd had a rest the students wrote in their diary (see the 4th page of this thread)
7. Then we listened to the 2nd part of the Mr. X talk and filled in the blanks on the Mr. X worksheet
8. Finally there is a 'mini mystery' that you can do if you have time. A worksheet to go with the pixar short 'Lifted' (youtube it)

In total this took an hour and 40 mins but you could really easily stretch it out if you wanted to. If you're running short on time then you can take out the mini mystery on any day and you wont muck up the story line of the camp.

[mod edit - modified title]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:16:33 pm by complex303 »

Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »
Thanks, I'm really looking for engaging activities and I may use this.  However, I think there is a mistake somewhere.  When I click on the sound icon to hear Mr. X, I don't get any sound.  Am I doing something wrong?

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:13:38 pm »
I'm not sure why they wont work.
Here are Mr. X's sound files though so if you want to use that bit you could add them back into the powerpoint.

Note: You can make your own Mr. X talks here:  http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
Also I've added a raw text file of all of the talks later in this thead incase you need it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:59:36 pm by whitespider »

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:15:58 pm »
This seems great!!  I would be very interested in using this for my students, any way of seeing the other days as well?

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 03:58:17 pm »
Day 2!

It might take me a few days to finish off and uploaded all 10 days. There are still a few bits and pieces to finish...

Research Day!

Before class cut one set of missing people faces per group - don't make the bits too small because then it's way too hard for the students to put them back together. Mix the pieces together. Print out the missing people templates, info and clues.

1. Listen to Mr. X  2.1 (if this didn't play form the powerpoint you can add it back in (just download it and insert it onto the slide) - sorry, I'm quite the powerpoint n00b)
2. Explain that someone has sabotaged the police files. Give out the cut up faces and the template. the students must put them together.
3. DO NOT show them the faces on the ppt yet. Give out the clues worksheet and have them match the faces with the info. I changed the worksheet a bit to make it easier (took out the fill in the blanks bits). The students should be able to match the info with a picture. THEN show them the faces on the ppt. Check that they matched everyone up correctly.
4. Tell the students that they must talk to the other people in the town to get some more info. Give out the 'missing person clues' paper, (one per group) the students can read these clues to find out who Mr X's secretarty (the missing person) is. Read them yourself before class so you know who it is and why. While the students do this they must fill in the 'who's not the secretary' part of the info worksheet.
5.  Check that they figured out who the missing secretary is. Almost all of mine did and were super proud of themselves because it's pretty damn hard.

6. After the break we only had time for Mr.X 2.2 and the diary because the earlier stuff took ages.

The choose your own adventure thing didn't work for some people and I'm not that happy with it even though it took about a million years to make. There are way better choose your own adventures on this site so if you wanted to you could use one of those.

This day is HARD. You should probably only try this if you've looked at the material and got it properly sorted in your own head before class.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:19:34 pm by whitespider »

• JamBird
  • Waygookin

• December 21, 2010, 07:54:51 am
    • Jinju, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:43:35 am »
This is awesome where did u get this? I can download the rest myself and save you the trouble, if you don't mind  :D

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:45 am »
I made it :D
I'll try to be speedy and put the rest of it up before Thursday

• macsauce
  • Waygookin

• November 05, 2010, 09:13:51 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 01:14:29 pm »
I would also love to download the rest of this. It looks amazing.

• jdniii
  • Veteran

• April 25, 2010, 08:21:52 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 09:14:43 am »
I really like this one!  I was going to do the Harry Potter camp, but I think the more advanced level of this lesson is better suited for my kids!  Thanks.  Hope to see the other days too :)

• gilly
  • Explorer

• April 23, 2010, 09:57:29 am
    • Dunnae, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:57 am »
This camp looks amazing thanks so much!! For day one what is the video? I can't get anything to work could you upload the video you used or put up the link to find it? thanks, great work, please upload the rest it looks amazing!!

• master6
  • Explorer

• October 07, 2010, 07:59:13 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 11:59:39 am »
GREAT~!!! Thanks for sharing~~
Could you upload the video like Mr. X's sound files???

• jh64487
  • Adventurer

• September 16, 2010, 01:40:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 12:28:49 pm »
I really appreciate this as i had no idea what to do for camp.

Thank you and happy holidays :)

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 12:59:30 pm »
Day 3

There are a few things missing from this lesson. I've put the pictures for the I spy game are on page 3 of this thread and, unfortunately, from here on you have to make your own Mr. X sound files. They seem to have vanished form my computer :(. It's easy though, just cut and paste the raw Mr. X text (page 4 of this thread) into the thing on this website: http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

You also have change the clue hunt to suit your school and set it up.

1. Listen to Mr. X 3.1, students fill in the blanks.
2. Do the clue hunt!
This involves the students following clues around the school. You give them the first clue (from Dawn's neighbour) saying to go to talk to old Gregor who hangs out where the teachers eat (ie, the teachers cafeteria). The students go there and find another clue, from old Gregor, saying to go and ask Joey outside the girls bathrooms and so on until they finish back at your classroom. To start the clue hunt each group must win a quiz (see ppt) this splits them into groups about 5 mins apart and stops your whole class doing the hunt together. I timed each group to see who could do it the fastest.
3. When the students get back they find Dawn, mortally wounded in your classroom. It's mad cool if you can get another teacher to be Dawn all covered in blood, especially if she flops out from somewhere. They then have to rush to find a call phone (hidden round the classroom) to call an ambulance and Dawn is rushed to hospital.
4. The students should have writen down a letter for each clue on the clue hunt (its the big letter above the text). Unscrambled, these letters read 'DAWN IS DEAD'. Sadly, she never made it to the hospital.
5. Listen to Mr. X 3.2. Fill in the blanks.
6. Give the detectives photos from 'Dawn's house' taken before the evidence was bagged up. Some of the evidence has gone missing. The police have made a list of the things they've lost and the detectives must find it in the pictures. (you can find these pictures on page 3 of this thread). There is also a clever code in the first letter of each missing thing if you read down the list spelling 'The next clue is on the CD'

7. Break, diary and maze mini mystery if you have time.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:41:42 pm by whitespider »

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 02:35:33 pm »
Day 4

You'll need to make some cups with smells in them for this lesson.

I used:
chocolate, coffee, hamster bedding, milk, jam, soju, cheese, toothpaste, dog food, throat lollies and dirt.
The evidence cups (taken from Dawns body) must have the same smells as the PC bang cups (the place where she was attacked).

1. Give the students a CD, tell them it was dropped off by a tall man in a black coat. Play the sound (follow your nose - slow) see if they can guess what it's saying. If they can't (this is highly likely) hangman it.
2. listen to Mr. X 4.1
3. Do the smell search. Students must sniff each cup and guess what is in it. They can also pick a word to describe the smell on the worksheet. Start with the evidence cups and progress through the places. When they've sniffed everything the students should be able to match the evidence with a place.

4. Break, diary and memory game mini mystery If you have time.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:39:08 pm by whitespider »

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 03:19:25 pm »
Duuuuude you are AMAZING! Thank you SO much!

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 03:40:37 pm »
Day 5

This lesson also requires some setting up. You need to write "We will use a gun to kill Dawn" (each word on a different slip of paper) in invisible ink. Invisible ink is easy to make. You can just use lemon juice. To make it visible you have to heat it up. I' used candles for this (thankfully the boys don't burn the school down) but you could use a lamp with a hot bulb or a hair dryer or something.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/invisibleink3.htm

1. Listen to Mr. X  5.1
2. Give out the coded notes. This takes the students ages and gets quite brain-tiring so if you have low levels or young kids you'll probably want to change this.
3. Do the invisible ink thing. You need to use A LOT of lemon juice. Also use thick paper otherwise it wrinkles up. You can buy invisible ink too, that would probably be easier...

4. Break, diary, song mini mystery.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:00:01 pm by whitespider »

• tannerkeith
  • Explorer

• December 22, 2009, 02:30:13 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 07:46:55 am »
So far this lesson looks awesome...More to come I hope :)

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 10:51:25 am »
this loooks amazing!! you are awesome! do you think you can post up the rest?
Also, how long do you this each day will take?? I don't have a camp but I have winter classes with my students and it's for two hours per day  ;D

• eirrehs
  • Explorer

• December 21, 2010, 09:28:55 am
    • korea
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 12:53:14 pm »
These lessons are amazing!!!!! Can't wait for the rest~ Thanx so much for sharing ^^ My students are gonna love it~

• eirrehs
  • Explorer

• December 21, 2010, 09:28:55 am
    • korea
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 01:59:26 pm »
As I've been looking through and preparing to use your lessons I realized that lesson 3 might be missing a file.
Mr X said...
some of the evidence is missing, there are 20 things to find, there are 4 photos, there is a code hidden in the clues   
1. Find the things on the list and circle them in the picture.
2. Try to work out the missing evidence code.

Could you please send the picture with which the students can find the missing evidence??

Shanx a zillion~ ^^

Than