Read 1698 times

• weso1
  • Adventurer

• January 17, 2012, 10:45:24 pm
    • Seoul
Kindergarten ages you.
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:31 am »
This weekend, my gf was at my house. We were just being lazy, watching some tv, eating pizza, and I was flipping through some old facebook photos I haven't looked at in a while. She looked over my shoulder and commented on one "wow, you look so young there."

I was a bit taken back and remarked that that picture was just taken less than 2 years ago. I couldn't have changed that much. Then I flipped through a few more and she said "ah, in that one you look the same as now."

Here's the funny thing. That first picture was taken about a week before I started teaching kindergarten for the first time. The second one, was taken on my last day at kindergarten. That wasn't even a year long contract. Because of some timing issues, I had to leave after only 9 months.

Kindergarten was rough for me. I just don't have the patience to be the lone guardian for 10 kids under the age of 5 and manage all that crying, screaming, fighting, yelling, etc.. I guess it took a bigger toll on me than I thought. After she left I went back to look at the pictures again. She was right. In 9 months my hairline receded a bit more. My face looked tired. A few lines on the forehead and around my eyes. If you didn't know any better, you'd say those pictures were maybe 5 years apart, not 9 months!

Just a word of caution to others who might be considering a kindy gig. They're like little soul sucking demons, that stay young and cute by robbing years of life from you.

Re: Kindergarten ages you.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:07 am »
Then why do Kindie at all? You do have a choice in the matter. Besides, it might not have anything to do with it...it could be that you are just getting older.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:23 am »
This weekend, my gf was at my house. We were just being lazy, watching some tv, eating pizza, and I was flipping through some old facebook photos I haven't looked at in a while. She looked over my shoulder and commented on one "wow, you look so young there."

I was a bit taken back and remarked that that picture was just taken less than 2 years ago. I couldn't have changed that much. Then I flipped through a few more and she said "ah, in that one you look the same as now."

Here's the funny thing. That first picture was taken about a week before I started teaching kindergarten for the first time. The second one, was taken on my last day at kindergarten. That wasn't even a year long contract. Because of some timing issues, I had to leave after only 9 months.

Kindergarten was rough for me. I just don't have the patience to be the lone guardian for 10 kids under the age of 5 and manage all that crying, screaming, fighting, yelling, etc.. I guess it took a bigger toll on me than I thought. After she left I went back to look at the pictures again. She was right. In 9 months my hairline receded a bit more. My face looked tired. A few lines on the forehead and around my eyes. If you didn't know any better, you'd say those pictures were maybe 5 years apart, not 9 months!

Just a word of caution to others who might be considering a kindy gig. They're like little soul sucking demons, that stay young and cute by robbing years of life from you.

What you are describing is what happens to people in a high stress environment coupled with a diet lacking proper nutrition with the proper vitamins and minerals you need.

You can pretty much reverse what you've done to yourself (except the hair...unless you're going for rogaine) by removing stress in your life and being generally happier. 

That pretty much means doing something that is within your comfort level and ignore all other advice from apologists.

MC

• weso1
  • Adventurer

• January 17, 2012, 10:45:24 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:00 am »
Then why do Kindie at all? You do have a choice in the matter. Besides, it might not have anything to do with it...it could be that you are just getting older.

I had never taught kindy before then. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I was blinded by that fat salary, lol.

I don't teach kindy now and never will again. It would take an obscene amount of money to get back in a classroom like that again.

• chrys
  • Newgookin

• February 05, 2011, 01:09:30 pm
    • osan
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 01:32:14 pm »
LMAO.
I agree. The same thing happened to me. One year of a kindy hagwon and I went from "Oh, I thought you were much younger" to silence when I mention my age.   :'(