Read 2094 times

• Lyn
  • Waygookin

• May 04, 2012, 01:03:37 am
    • Thailand
Thinking about moving to South Korea
« on: May 07, 2012, 05:49:08 pm »
Can I process my visa and all the paperwork while in Thailand or must I return back to America, my home country, and process everything there?   

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: Thinking about moving to South Korea
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:54:59 pm »
Since you aren't in Korea you can't call immigration 1345, but maybe there is an international number.  You could try their website: http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/main_en.pt

Or you could call the Korean embassy/consulate in Thailand.  It is most likely they who would process your visa for initial entry into Korea.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:03:24 pm »
Unless the visa rules changed recently, if this is your first Korean work visa then you have to do it in your home country.  It used to be that you could, for example, come here on a tourist visa, find a job, do a visa run to Japan and then work.  But since the new revamp of E2 rules c. 2008 you need to do it for the first time in your home country (you need to get all the paper work done there, i.e. degree and police check, etc.).  They also required interviews at the Korean Consulate at the time, but I haven't heard much of those recently so I wonder if they've been dropped.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »
You can do it from Guam...it's, after all, a US territory.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:42:46 am »
I had all of my paperwork done in Laos. There is no Canadian Embassy there, the Australian Embassy takes care of Canadians and British. I had everything signed and stamped by the Aussies, then signed and stamped by the Koreans. Then sent it along to my recruiter who then explained to the POE and EPIK why a Canadian who is living in Laos had all of his documentation confirmed by Australia!

It went very smoothly! Honestly, it was no problem and I got exactly what I wanted, where I wanted.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:05:37 am »
Can I process my visa and all the paperwork while in Thailand or must I return back to America, my home country, and process everything there?

It depends on many variables; not the least of which is - have you ever held the same K visa for which you will be applying?
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• Lyn
  • Waygookin

• May 04, 2012, 01:03:37 am
    • Thailand
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:51:06 pm »
I've never been to SK so I guess that would be a no.   

• lesigh
  • Adventurer

• April 02, 2012, 06:29:09 pm
    • Paris, France
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:13:02 pm »
I've never been to SK so I guess that would be a no.   

Actually you can process all your documents from Thailand, it's just a pain in the ass. I did it away from my home country as well, which means having someone who can help you in your country to be the middleman for your docs. Also, you can get your first E-2 visa away from your home country. Japan/Guam runs are an option.