Read 2467 times

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• December 05, 2011, 03:02:00 pm
    • Suncheon, S. Korea
When you were re-signing what did you do?
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:20:25 pm »
I work at 3 schools per my contract and when asked if I'd like to stay, there was no sense of impending doom. I like my schools and such. They have been paying my correct salary, rent and bonuses, good people, etc.

My question has to do with asking about a raise. I wasn't given a new contract to sign. If they do make up a new contract, how can I ask for a raise? How much more do people normally ask for during the 2ND year? My contract does state that 100,000 (at least) is able to be added to the pay. I would like a bit more than that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:35:27 pm by jamasian »

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
Re: When you were resigning what did you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:54:19 pm »
Which organization do you work for: EPIK, GEPIK, SMOE, college, university, hagwan???
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:11:53 pm »
The title of your message talks about resigning, but the content seems to refer to re-signing.

Which is it?  My answer will be different depending on what you are actually talking about.

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• Suncheon, S. Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:35:03 pm »
Sorry, It's re-signing. -_-  I don't work for any of those (Neither is mentioned in my contract). I'm on the JMOE (Jeollanam-do) contract. They are public schools.

• cassie
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 04:37:58 pm
    • Jeollanamdo
Re: When you were re-signing what did you do?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:40:07 pm »
I work in Jeollanamdo in JLP (Jeollanamdo Language Program) and each year of renewal constitutes a raise up to a certain point. I believe the levels are as follows:
2.7 - maxed out
2.0 - bottom level

I didn't have to sign a contract now, but was given one to preview as a reference. The salary levels aren't listed on there, though. Your payscale may be different than the above. You can check with your school about the terms for your next contract.

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• Suncheon, S. Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »
Thanks Cassie! That's actually the rate I'm looking for. We'll see when the actual renewal happens. My contract does say JLP...they should all be language programs or ministry of educations -_-

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:16:17 pm »
Cassie, do you have a source for that?

Jamasian, public school salaries are set.  You get what they tell you, no bargaining.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:11:25 am »

Jamasian, public school salaries are set.  You get what they tell you, no bargaining.

Yep, that's exactly what I would've said.

If you were employed directly by the school rather than by a provincial program, it might be different. But the OP seems to have indicated that's not the case.

TBH, if you were on a provincial program where the salaries are set, it mightn't be the best idea to demand a bigger pay rise if you really do want to be renewed and renewed again in future. Probably little or no harm in a polite enquiry to test the water. But there's not much point marking yourself out as "difficult" over something you had zero chance of getting.

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• Suncheon, S. Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:58:19 am »

If you were employed directly by the school rather than by a provincial program, it might be different. But the OP seems to have indicated that's not the case.

TBH, if you were on a provincial program where the salaries are set, it mightn't be the best idea to demand a bigger pay rise if you really do want to be renewed and renewed again in future. Probably little or no harm in a polite enquiry to test the water. But there's not much point marking yourself out as "difficult" over something you had zero chance of getting.

Yea I have no intention of demanding a raise. I like my position and environment so if they say no it's ok.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 12:25:13 pm »

Yea I have no intention of demanding a raise. I like my position and environment so if they say no it's ok.

I wouldn't even mention it, unless you know for sure salaries aren't set.

PS can you please change your font to the standard?  It's really hard to read.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Gordana
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• April 13, 2010, 10:42:48 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 01:07:17 pm »
I worked at the same school for 4 years. (Elem, Public, GEPIK), so I got those scaled pay raises with each year.  When asked if I would re-sign the first time, I said I would, however I wanted to be able to go home after camp finished during school holidays, rather than have to 'deskwarm'.  This wasn't a problem for them and meant I'd be home by lunch each day. 

I enjoyed having that extra time at home rather than thumb-twiddling at my desk. ;)