Read 1896 times

Wiring money to Korea?
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:46:10 am »
Does anyway know the best/quickest way to send money to Korea. My family is going to send me a bit, but since I don't have an ARC or bank account yet, I'm stuck with western union or money-grams, right?

Anyone have any experience? Also, how does one inquire about banking hours. I know many banks have Saturday hours, it would be great to be able to pick up the wire ASAP. I couldn't, however, get English branch information when I called.

The bank in particular is WOORI-Bank NAMYANG-DONG  GYEONGGI HWASEONG-SI NAMYANG-DONG 1203
HWASEONG-SI, 445-010m but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

• dansk
  • Veteran

• March 13, 2012, 12:26:55 pm
    • Inje-gun, Gangwon-do
Re: Wiring money to Korea?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:52 pm »
How much?  If it's under a thousand dollars or so, just go to any bank with an international ATM and use your debit card from home to withdraw it.  There was a $5 fee the last time I did it, but it's pretty damn easy.  Don't bother with things like Western Union unless you're sending thousands of dollars.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:20:58 pm »
Yes, if it's pocket money you need until you get paid just use your ATM card from home.  Take out a decent chunk- if you take many small amounts you pay a fee on each one.  One big amount, one fee.

Most of the ATMs in convenience stores, such as GS25, Family Mart and 7-11 will accept foreign cards.  You don't need to go to a bank.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:58:00 pm »
Thanks! I (wrongly) assumed that since the atm card didn't work at a normal Korean atm that I was out of luck.