Read 2088 times

• Fraulion
  • Veteran

• April 11, 2011, 09:07:42 am
    • Korea
Anyone quit a public school job?
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:54:16 am »
My boyfriend renewed at his public school for a second year. His first year was great, which is why he renewed, but this year he dreads going to work.

Anyone quit a public school job? How difficult was it to find a new job in Korea?

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Re: Anyone quit a public school job?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:55:15 am »
 No problem getting into a hogwan( private language Institute) or University.

• Fraulion
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:50 am »
No problem getting into a hogwan( private language Institute) or University.

But you get blacklisted from all public school jobs?

• fwilsie
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 03:34:20 pm
    • 창녕
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:07:15 am »
I worked at a public school for a year and renewed. I then resigned after 6 months of the second year. After a year and a half out of Korea I got a job at a different public school in Korea.

I did, though, get excellent references from my bosses and teachers at the first public school. And, my reason for leaving was to pursue further studies. I also left the school during summer vacation.

It's possible to get a different public school job. There are many factors a public school will look at when looking to hire someone other than if they quit at some point during a renewed contract.

Also, I got my second PS job not through a program but through an recruiter who was working for an individual school.

• macchiato
  • Adventurer

• October 25, 2011, 12:17:22 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:33:49 am »
It depends if he is working for SMOE/GEPIK etc... If you quit a SMOE school then yes, you will not be able to return or reapply. If he wasn't with SMOE then he could try to find another school outside of the district he was in, maybe? But to be honest, from what I have heard people should think very carefully about quitting a public school job. I don't know if a blacklist exists, but they may keep his details on record and make it hard for him to reapply somewhere else.

SMOE/GEPIK will also most likely not want to hire someone who has quit. And also, applying for a public school job in the same district will probably not work.

• Fraulion
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:52:53 am »
I worked at a public school for a year and renewed. I then resigned after 6 months of the second year. After a year and a half out of Korea I got a job at a different public school in Korea.

I did, though, get excellent references from my bosses and teachers at the first public school. And, my reason for leaving was to pursue further studies. I also left the school during summer vacation.

It's possible to get a different public school job. There are many factors a public school will look at when looking to hire someone other than if they quit at some point during a renewed contract.

Also, I got my second PS job not through a program but through an recruiter who was working for an individual school.

It's acceptable for someone to transfer to a new public school mid-contract?

• fwilsie
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 03:34:20 pm
    • 창녕
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:04:58 am »

It's acceptable for someone to transfer to a new public school mid-contract?

I didn't transfer schools mid-contract. I quit at the first PS, left Korea for a year and a half, and then came back to a different PS in Korea.