Read 6128 times

Just thought I would ask to see what you guys think is most appropriate.

I make sure to greet my principal every morning, but only that. I don't go out of my way to greet my VP (he has a different office), but if I see him I always make sure to greet formally and bow. I never usually go out of my way to say "good-bye" at the end of the day.

I was told by my coteachers that anything more wouldn't be necessary. Also, at our orientation, they only stressed greeting the principal, so I thought that I would follow their advice. However, I'm not 100% sure if this would be alright with the Principal and VP. Would they expect me to do more and secretly think I'm rude for not doing so?  When my principal sees me he always seems pleased and happy. Plus, I have never been told that I'm being rude...

So what do you guys think?

• ignatmc
  • Adventurer

• March 18, 2011, 08:16:26 am
    • Seoul
Re: How many of you greet and say good-bye to your principals / VPs?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:27 am »
at my previous school I had to check in and out everyday at the main office so I would always greet them but at my current school I just say hello when I meet them and that's quite rarely these days but they are always nice and smiling and they reply (unlike some other teachers).
I guess it depends on the person. I personally wouldn't want to bother them all the time but I recently read a post here about someone who was considered rude by the principal because he didn't greet him everyday.

• vw08
  • Super Waygook

• May 11, 2011, 01:26:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:47:27 am »
I greet them when I see them.  My English classrooms and office are in a different wing of the school than the administrative offices, so I do not see either my principal or vice principal regularly.  The VP speaks a little English so he asks me questions and greets me in English, which is quite nice.  The vibe I get from the principal is that he couldn't care less.  I do what is considered polite, but I do not go out of my way to do it.  At the beginning of the year, I was told by my CTs that this was the appropriate thing to do.

I guess it all boils down to your school culture and who your principal and VP are.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:51:06 am »
I don't greet the principal every day. I usually just slink in 5 minutes late. There are 50 teachers at my school so everybody greeting the principal every day would be absurd. Not sure why I would be the only one who would have to. Nobody ever told me I should but then I've never been invited to an orientation.

I definitely wouldn't say goodbye though. It would just highlight how early (I'm assuming here) you leave in comparison to many of the other teachers at your school.

It sounds like you had him at hello!
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:52:44 am »
I only go out of my way to greet and say goodbye to my VP actually.   From what i can tell, he is the one that actually matters.   All adminsitrative duties for me seem to go through him and I have been told that he is the one that will give me my evaluations that determine whether or not i get renewed.   Also, his office is much more convenient.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:01:00 pm »
Would they expect me to do more and secretly think I'm rude for not doing so?  When my principal sees me he always seems pleased and happy. Plus, I have never been told that I'm being rude...

Given your 2nd and 3rd sentences in the quote above, I'd say the answer to that question is that it's very, very unlikely they think you're rude.

In fact, it's possible that you might actually do some damage if you DID make a lot more of an effort to engage with either of them. In my experience, a lot of principals and vice-principals have English abilities that they are not very proud of at all, and understandably so. Many will be more than happy to greet you and for you to greet them, but really don't want you showing up how bad their English is.

So I'm sure your co-teachers (and they should know) are absolutely right that you don't need to do anything more than you already are.

• rach229
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 07:57:51 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:07:23 pm »
I don't go out of my way (run around the school looking for my VP) but I stop in the teacher's office every morning and say good morning to my VP and some teachers. I stop in at least once a week to say good morning to my principal. He doesn't really care, or at least appears not to. Every time I stop in he just says hello in Korean and waves me away. I don't say goodbye to them.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 12:22:39 pm »
I swing by the VP's office every morning and when I leave and make sure to nod and say "Hello" or "Good Morning" in Korean to other teachers I see. Currently, the Principal at my school is really mad at me because I cost our volleyball team two victories in a row yesterday. *collar pull*

• fwilsie
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 03:34:20 pm
    • 창녕
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 12:37:18 pm »
If your principal has a different office there is no need to go and greet her everyday. I've never known a PS teacher (Korean) who did that. If she is in your office, though, then you should greet her and say goodbye to her if she is around.

I've only worked at smallish pubic schools in which the VP is based in the teacher's office while the principal has her own office. So, I exchange greetings with the VP everyday and greet the principal whenever I happen to see her.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:10:32 pm by fwilsie »

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:28 pm »
I usually just give a quick hello good morning and good bye see you tomorrow to both my principal and vice principal.

• hunterst
  • Veteran

• December 03, 2010, 10:10:25 am
    • Ansan City
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 01:52:18 pm »
when I was at a public school, I had to say good bye to the Principal everyday during winter and summer break when I was allowed to leave after lunch, but never during the actual school year.  Not really sure why.

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• December 05, 2011, 03:02:00 pm
    • Suncheon, S. Korea
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 05:00:47 pm »
You should check with your co-teacher. I am able to just greet the VP of my middle school with the communal "annyonhaseyo" in the morning, but I don't need to say goodbye unless I'm leaving early and asking for approval.

In one elementary school, neither the P nor the VP really care about my greetings. Thus, I do it if I see them.

In the other elementary school, however, my VP loves me to greet him in English. He then tries to chat for about a minute or two. The P greets me when he sees me because for some reason he doesn't come in early enough...and again I only need to say goodbye when I'm leaving earlier than I'm supposed to.

• Lyn
  • Waygookin

• May 04, 2012, 01:03:37 am
    • Thailand
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 05:42:11 pm »
In Thailand you are expected to go out of your way to wai your superiors.   Things seem so different in South Korea

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 07:33:15 pm »
I greet them when I see them--with a slight bow and sometimes I will use English, sometimes Korean, either one seems okay.  In a year and a half of working there no one has suggested I pay them an individual visit every morning to say "annyong haseyo."

Neither of them speak English well--the VP still likes to practice his with me in passing conversation, but the conversations usually don't get very far.  I really don't think my principal speaks more than a word or two of English. 

I work on a different floor and obviously office than either my VP or the principal and they're not always in their offices at precisely 8:30am--not because they're always late but because they're usually sort of moving about the school.  They don't sit around waiting for everyone to come in and bow to them each morning--we have a large staff and since most teachers arrive at about the same time, what would they do, make a long line out the office door? 

We have a few sets of stairs, a sort of "main" staircase and a "back" staircase that goes directly to the office that I use.  The main staircase goes past the principal and VP's offices, the back one does not.  I know for a fact most of the teachers who work in my office run up the back staircases most mornings and certainly don't go in and bow to the principal before doing so.

I'm perplexed by this "formal morning greeting" custom I've heard about from other people.  How does this actually work in a large public school, if people do it where you work?  I guess if you had a school staff small enough to fit into one office, that might be different, but at my school and most of my friends' there seem to be several offices, organized by department and spread out between several different stories. 

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 07:47:11 pm »

I'm perplexed by this "formal morning greeting" custom I've heard about from other people.  How does this actually work in a large public school, if people do it where you work?  I guess if you had a school staff small enough to fit into one office, that might be different, but at my school and most of my friends' there seem to be several offices, organized by department and spread out between several different stories.

Yeah, when I worked at a large, private school, no one did that. You just greeted them when/if you saw them. I'd feel awkward to make a specific trip just to pop in for a hello/bow and walk out.
I doubt it is as ubiquitous as some people seem to think.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 07:58:46 am »
I have a great relationship with my Principal and VP, but I have never gone out of my way to go greet them in the morning or when I leave.
Hell, I think I get to school before them most days, anyways.

I greet them when I see them. Sometimes my principal comes to see me to chat for a bit.

• OogaBooga
  • Veteran

• September 15, 2011, 04:43:59 pm
    • Yeongi-Gun
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12:15 pm »
I greet my school's principal every morning and say 'have a good night/weekend' before I leave each day.
I don't have a very good relationship with principal though. Seems like she's always angry or annoyed with me about something. I'm trying to figure out why.

• JABU NXAU
  • Veteran

• June 03, 2011, 06:20:35 pm
    • KOREA
    more
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:36 am »
I do it every day , because it is just good manners!
do your best always!