Read 1503 times

Hagwon Teachers - how much comes off each paycheck?
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:43:00 pm »
Dear Fellow Hagwon Teachers,

I come to you for advice. I have had ongoing issues with my director - which has led me to yet another post. Each month my director prints off a pay stub, which he makes himself on his computer. I am questioning some of the fees and wondering if other teachers out there are having the same types of deductions taken of their paychecks. The following is a breakdown of my last few paychecks (no need to be shy here we're all making relatively the same amount of money right?):

Pay 2.2 Million Won
Deductions:
Insurance: 77, 000 won
Gas: 97, 000 won
Water: 4500 won
Internet: 40, 000 won
Electric: 3100 won
Apt. Maintenance: 45, 000 won

Apparently none of my health insurance deductions have been taken off - even though I've been here for three months already. My boss advised me today that they will start next month and he "hopes" they will be less than 80,000 won each month.

Does this mean I don't have health insurance right now? I'm totally feeling lost here and don't trust one thing my boss has to say.

Please help !!!!

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: Hagwon Teachers - how much comes off each paycheck?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:48:22 pm »
If they weren't deducting for insurance then you didn't have insurance.
What about pension?  :o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:50:55 pm by JahRhythm »
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:55:30 pm »
Gas/water/Internet/electric/apartment maintenance fees are kind of besides the point here.
Most people pay this on their own, rather than having them deducted from their paycheck.

You should have deductions for income tax, residence tax, national health insurance, and national pension plan.
If you don't then your boss is up to no good.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:58:15 pm »
In addition to what jahrythm said, you should demand receipts for the gas, water, electric, internet and maintenance. 
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.