Read 2349 times

The head of the computer department told me that all teachers have to upgrade their computers to Windows 8 and also install some security programs on their computer. The problem is that the OS will be in Korean only. I've been able to use Office XP in Korean, but I'm worried about solving any issues I have with my PC if it is in Korean. I won't be able to solve any issues myself anymore.

How many of you are forced to do this? I was told that this is a city wide thing, and all other native English teachers have to do this. I live in Namyangju City, just northeast of Seoul.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Do You Use the Korean Version of Windows on Your School Computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:26:02 am »
Yeah, we got a new school building and tons of money so the school upgraded all the computers except mine. One day I came to work and I had a brand new computer at my desk but it turned out that, somehow, they'd transferred my old computer across to it (it was the same in every way) and I still have XP in English on my office computer.  :D
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:28:26 am »
Yes, I do.  Because this is Korea.  I also use the Korean version of Office without complaint (even though I don't speak Korean).

You can figure out where most things are, since the menu options are all in the same place as the English version.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:18 am »
I use a completely Korean OS, but I've found that I seem to know more about it than my Korean Co-teachers. So if I have a problem I can't figure out by fooling around with it, I just research the problem on Google and look at the images. If I can't find the images, I give the directions to my Co-teacher in English and she figures out what the Korean says. I've yet to be stumped by this dumb machine!

Hope this is helpful!

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:45:51 am »
My school computer ran XP Korean. But it was probably a decade old and incredibly slow. It would take 5 minutes to boot up and that was after a fresh formatting.

After 2 years of waiting I decided to just buy my own laptop. 400,000 won. Core i3-2350M, 4 GB DDR3, 500gb HD. Boots up fast. I put Windows 7 on there, in English. Now I have everything in English and I can easily fix any problems that arise.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:05:42 am »
Yeah, XP and office in English have been great. Especially considering that I actually had to learn how to use powerpoint again - I would have really struggled with the Korean version and would have had difficulty working out how to use the program myself in a language that I don't really know.

Now, the English room computer has Windows 7 in Korean and as I've never used Windows 7 before, it's a little bit annoying at times. Of course, it's a very similar animal to XP but every now and then one of the slight changes in location of things throws me off. It's not too bad though. I use my office computer for making lessons and English room computer for giving them so there's minimal time-consuming trial and error clicking and working out of things involved.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:58:11 am »
Yes, I do.  Because this is Korea.  I also use the Korean version of Office without complaint (even though I don't speak Korean).

You can figure out where most things are, since the menu options are all in the same place as the English version.

This isn't the case if you're used to using a Mac.

It's also not the case if you are used to using OpenOffice under Linux.  Fortunately I'm smart enough to figure it out.  How about you?

• gareit
  • Waygookin

• April 23, 2012, 11:34:58 am
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:23:28 am »
Follow these steps if you're using a Korean version of Windows XP :

http://jekkilekki.wordpress.com/2009/01/05/changing-os-languages-in-windows-xp/

That should work at least until October when Windows 8 releases.  Cross that bridge when you come to it?

• rach229
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 07:57:51 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »
I used to have Windows on my school computer but then my computer crashed! They were able to save all my files and and what not but I no longer have Windows, don't know why! I am trying to figure out this other program they have. My only problem is that it screws up all my files that were saved as docs or docx. It is really annoying but not that big of a deal. I just have to figure out the new program. It just takes some playing around during free time and you will figure it out. Good luck!