Read 2015 times

• gareit
  • Waygookin

• April 23, 2012, 11:34:58 am
Hair Length for men
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:33:50 am »
Hullo, I'm looking at TEFL jobs in South Korea right now (hopefully i'll be moving there by August, getting all my documentation in order now), and I was wondering if schools are particularly picky about the length of hair on guys?  I have curly hair that I let grow out fairly long now and then, and most of the pictures I've submitted with my applications have been with me having medium length hair.  Can schools be picky about this at all?  I've just gotten a new haircut, so retaking some photos and providing my current recruiter with them // using them from here on out will not be any trouble whatsoever, just wondering if that may perhaps create any sort of bias, or whether I will face any sort of reprimands for growing my hair out once I've arrived? 

Any male teachers have any issues with this currently or in the past?

Any helpful advice or relevant stories would be lovely to hear!

Thanks,
gareit

Re: Hair Length for men
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:00:15 am »
I can't see you have any problems. I have seen other male GETs here with longish hair. As long as you don't have loads of piercings or your body covered in tattoos then you should be fine.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:41 am »
Yeah, I got hired to a countryside high school with long hair. Might be more stringent in the city. Just tie your hair back into a pony-tail for the purposes of your photo and sort out the front (side-sweep/comb-over type do) - that's what I did.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:25:24 am »
Opinions aside, appearance does matter a whole lot here when it comes to first impressions.  Of course people understand that looks do not give information as to a person's character (or teaching abilities), but they still do not feel like judgments based upon looks do not matter.

I helped my former school find and interview a potential replacement for me.  Until that experience I had no idea just how much those photos recruiters ask for matter.

I would suggest submitting new photos to your recruiter (unless you have found a job already), keeping in mind a few style preferences that many people have here:

- short hair
- keep others out of the picture (yes, they may feel free to judge you based upon who else is there)
- wear a suit or shirt and tie
- make sure that there is not anything significant in the background (signs, legible product names)
- keep facial hair trimmed and shaped (also, full beards of a short, even length are more acceptable here in my experience than having only a mustache or goatee)

All of these details came up when staff at my previous school where choosing their next teacher.

• scottdk
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2010, 12:30:13 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:44:49 am »
For application purposes mentioned by 'teachermc' it is best to look on point, clean cut, more formal attire, and plain backgrounds.  I don't know how your hair looks like when it's long but I do remember some classmates through school that look scruby with long curly hair, but others look good.  But again, for application purposes keep it shorter and clean.  When you get here, growing it out won't be too big of a deal.  They may not like it when you grow it out, but after then you'll have had your job for a good amount of time.

In my experience, my hair hasn't hindered any relationship with my workplace.  I change my hair about every 2months, from short to long, colored to natural, permed to straight. The only one I noticed any slight distaste was when my hair was like bright kpopish red/orange but it won over the hearts of many of my students, haha. (that one was a mistake, and I changed it back to black).

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:32:01 am »
When you get here, growing it out won't be too big of a deal.  They may not like it when you grow it out, but after then you'll have had your job for a good amount of time.

That is a good point.  After arriving and getting to know some people at your school, they will have other information upon which to assess your teaching and suitability for their school.  At that point, many of these original appearance preferences will not matter too much. 

Since being here I have also had varying lengths of hair as well as a beard.  Besides a few informal questions about it, it has never been an issue. 

It is worth noting that schools would love to actually have good information upon which to base their hiring decisions rather than making hasty (and shallow) assessments.  Details given to schools by recruiters are often sketchy and asking for additional information is slow going.  If you change jobs after coming to Korea the process can be much more sensible - schools can call up your former employer and other references you provide within Korea.