Read 7377 times

• Rosieee
  • Explorer

• October 21, 2010, 09:42:26 am
    • Osan, South Korea
KEB Global Check Card - Online?
« on: December 15, 2010, 12:45:21 pm »
Does anyone know if the KEB Global Check Card works for buying things online over here? It is a visa card so I'd assume so, but I wasn't sure if I had to register or do anything else so I can use it online!

• Koradian
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• October 08, 2010, 10:29:15 am
    • South Korea
Re: KEB Global Check Card - Online?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 12:47:08 pm »
I've used it many times on-line.

Happy shopping!

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:27:54 pm »
I also have that exact same card and I not allowed to buy online!!!

WEIRD

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »
According to KEB customer support (English) it only works on 'some' Korean sites...it won't work on any international sites...you need to have KEB credit card...it will work whilst shopping in Korea at most supermarkets and department stores...

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 02:18:00 pm »
I have an additional question: can you use your Korean debit card overseas? I'll be going home for a visit this winter and I'd like to access my Korean funds without having to transfer it all to my US acct....

• sheedi
  • Veteran

• March 17, 2010, 04:13:11 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:31:01 pm »
On the back it says valid for ATMs,  but not valid for overseas purchases.

• Rosieee
  • Explorer

• October 21, 2010, 09:42:26 am
    • Osan, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 02:41:23 pm »
I was only going to use it on a Korean site, well the English version anyway! Fingers crossed! :)

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 03:05:17 pm »
I have an additional question: can you use your Korean debit card overseas? I'll be going home for a visit this winter and I'd like to access my Korean funds without having to transfer it all to my US acct....

this is really a separate question.  with KEB, you can get a Global card.  this card lets you use ATMs all over the world to withdraw cash.  you cant use it in foreign countries to make purchases (i.e. check/debit card).  you can only use it at ATMs abroad.

I have a global card, and have used it in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, USA, and Portugal.  In Thailand, Cam. and Laos, it converted to US dollars first, and then to the local currency, but the conversion was done at the actual exchange rate, so it was really cheap.

As far as buying things online goes...  My Global card DOES NOT work on korail's site.  But it does work buying tickets with interpark, at EMART/homeplus, and with some private korean online stores that I have used.  It's just hit or miss.  Most notably it does not work with paypal at all.

But if it is a miss, I just use online banking to wire money, or in the case of Korail they have their own deposit system.