Read 5657 times

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
Re: Can I be denied the extra vacation promised for re-signing?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 03:25:58 pm »
RachelTibai, this won't help your situation, but it might give an idea to others who read this thread looking for similar answers.

I asked my school for my bonus vacation days to be applied during last winter vacation (technically, sort of the overlap in between contracts).  My supervisor told me I technically wasn't supposed to be able to take the vacation then; it was supposed to be taken within the first 6 months after the new contract started.  But my supervisor is awesome and worked it out anyway.

Again, this won't help the OP, but maybe others will be able to negotiate such a break as they investigate contract renewals and when to use this bonus leave time in wake of the no-Saturday school/shortened vacation periods scenario.

Not that any precedent can really count for anything here... hehe.  ::)

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28:01 pm »
I showed them the contract as I was explaining myself. I was told that the first page of the contract states that everything in the contract is by the choice of the school and that they chose that I can't go to the US this summer and must teach camps. If everything in the contract is subject to change and preference of the school, then what is the point of having one?

I knew my school was strict, but I thought it appreciated me and would treat me fairly. I used to brag about how by-the-book things were... so much for that I guess:(

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 03:32:23 pm »
I showed them the contract as I was explaining myself. I was told that the first page of the contract states that everything in the contract is by the choice of the school and that they chose that I can't go to the US this summer and must teach camps. If everything in the contract is subject to change and preference of the school, then what is the point of having one?

I knew my school was strict, but I thought it appreciated me and would treat me fairly. I used to brag about how by-the-book things were... so much for that I guess:(

Write a letter explaining how much you miss your family, how much you like the school and how you are devastated that they have decided not to honour the contract. Let them know that you did not think Korean people would do that kind of thing but now you understand Korean people better.

Keep it super polite though. No direct aggression at all.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 03:34:52 pm »
Have you heard from GEPIK?
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 03:42:09 pm »

I am fairly sure that it doesn't say that in your contract! The current GEPIK contract online states in English that the contract prevails over school regulations - Article 1. My Korean is not good enough to check that the Korean is the same but I expect it is.

Tell the school that you will be taking the renewal vacation before your 6 months are up. If they want you to teach camp then they must give you alternative dates during term time to take this 2 weeks. Tell them that it is not up to the school but is part of your contract so they must stick to it.

They have choice over when you take the vacation but not if. Make that clear to them.

Stick to your guns. Ask your GEPIK coordinator for help.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 07:11:16 am »

Write a letter explaining how much you miss your family, how much you like the school and how you are devastated that they have decided not to honour the contract. Let them know that you did not think Korean people would do that kind of thing but now you understand Korean people better.

Keep it super polite though. No direct aggression at all.

Make sure to add a part about how you thought family was an important value in Korean culture, so you're confused about why the school thinks it's not important for you to see yours at least once a year and wants to take away your time with them. That is, after you ask one more time about when you CAN take the vacation instead. If they tell you outright that you just can't have the vacation time, full stop, and if applying further passive aggressive pressure doesn't make a difference, it may be time to get more directly aggressive. It doesn't sound like your relationship with this school is going to end up being fantastic one way or another.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:49 am »
My GEPIK coordinator is now in contact with the school. I hope the situation is resolved quickly. One of my co teachers really acted like she was going to watch out for me this year, but she is not backing me up at all in this. I think there is a lot of pressure from the higher ups to keep me here in Korea this summer. They just keep telling me, "Sorry, but I think it is impossible for you to go to your country."

When I came to the school for the first time to meet the principle, this by the way was the only time I have "spoken" to him, my husband came with me and the principle spoke only to my husband about my job not at all to female me. Also, he wanted to alter my contract so that he could fine me for "damage to the school" if I broke contract and went home early, he was upset when it was pointed out this would be illegal. He also told me that I can't get pregnant and that I need to learn Korean, he was pretty pissed that I couldn't (he has never spoken to me in English I might add). It was all very threatening, but since I didn't plan on midnight running, didn't want to have a baby, and planed on studying Korean anyway I just rolled with it and hoped for the best.

At my jobs I have always tried to keep my personal life out of it. So, I would really hate to show them how much it hurts me to not be able to see my family. I will write a letter though if it comes to that.

I will let you all know how it works out. Thanks again for the advice and support.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 08:13:01 am »
^^
I would have written the letter first because now that you've appealed to a "higher authority", as it were, and since it seems that you are entirely in the right, the principal is about to get b-slapped.

Either way, I reckon you would have had to contact GEPIK so it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. Good luck! I hope the school doesn't treat you worse as a result of this and I hope you get the vacation that you are entitled to.

@ Deanitsin  :laugh:
Something like: "As you know, family is very important to Americans. I thought that Korean people would understand that but I see now that family is not so important in Korea as it is in America."
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 11:43:35 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yup, that's a standard contract!  Here are a bunch of rules and outlines that we both agree to, except if I don't want to, in which case I can change it anytime I want.  Yup, that's it.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In any event, your contract is not with the school but with GEPIK.  Look for your principal's signature on it.  It won't be there.  Sounds like a bullheaded misogynistic ajoshi.  All about control.  You're in the right and as others have said, GEPIK is about to b-slap him back into his place. 

I play sports with my principal and he gardens on the school grounds in the afternoon.  Lovely, kind man.  I'm lucky!

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 01:24:02 pm »
Update on my struggle:

My GEPIK coordinator has been in contact with my school, but the P and VP are under the impression that I am asking them a giant favor in having them grant me what guaranteed in my contract. So, they might be willing to let me go for my 14day vacation this summer if I teach the equivalent of 3 weeks of camp in one week with out overtime pay. This is crazy and completely unfair because I teach 20 hours of camp a week so that would be a 60 hour (teaching time) week WITHOUT OVERTIME PAY!
So, I contacted my coordinator again ... the office of education is going to contact my school now I guess and explain to them more thoroughly about labor laws. GAH!   

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 01:47:02 pm »

In any event, your contract is not with the school but with GEPIK.  Look for your principal's signature on it.  It won't be there.  Sounds like a bullheaded misogynistic ajoshi.  All about control.  You're in the right and as others have said, GEPIK is about to b-slap him back into his place. 

I play sports with my principal and he gardens on the school grounds in the afternoon.  Lovely, kind man.  I'm lucky!

Our contracts are with the school/principal.  The principal's name is on it and he/she signs it.  We all work for our respective schools.  GEPIK can give directives to the principal by the nature of it being part of the higher up power in Gyeonggi-do/local Office of Education.

From the GEPIK 2012 contract:
대한민국 학교장(이하고용자라 한다)과 ___________국민이며 _______________에
주소를 둔 원어민보조교사(성명)___________________ ___ (이하피고용자라 한다)는
경기도교육청이 관할하는 학교에 GEPIK 원어민보조교사 초청활용 사업을 위하여 다음과
같이 고용 계약을 체결한다.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.