Read 5659 times

Can I be denied the extra vacation promised for re-signing?
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:34:24 pm »
It is not a sure thing yet, but I have been told that if the vice principle wants me to teach camp for the 3.5 weeks of summer vacation then I will have to and will not be allowed to the USA as I had planned. I know this issue has come up with other teachers on here from time to time because of the funny wording of the contract (GEPIK).
I haven't seen my family in over a year and I really want to spend a few days with them this summer. Is it legal for them do deny me this? They are not offering me another time to take the vaca time they are just saying that I might not get it. The contract clearly states that it must be taken with in 6 months of the new contract and my contract began in March. So if I can't take it during summer vacation it is gone...
I am crushed that this has even become an issue. I am not asking for anything extra, just what was promised me. Also, I don't take sick days and I gave up almost all my free periods to teach the 12 after school lessons requested of me... I work so hard for them, never complain or take advantage and now they are telling me that I might not get to see my family for another year.
Has anyone been through this? What happened? Is it legal?

Re: Can I be denied the extra vacation promised for re-signing?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:58:10 pm »
They are obligated to set aside time for your home leave. The have from March until September to choose when they would like you to take it, but they do not get to just not give you your contracted vacation time. I suggest playing as dumb as possible and repeatedly asking your co-teacher when you CAN have your days off, if not during summer vacation, because you have to take them before September, like your contract says. If she gives you some vague response (and she probably will), pretend not to understand and just repeat, "Okay.... sorry.... I'm still not really sure I understand. So when can I take my contracted bonus vacation days from re-signing? I'm sorry to keep repeating it but it's not really clear, and I need to plan a flight...."

Keep at it until they either give you a direct yes or no. Don't allow them to waffle in between until your six month window passes.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:06:26 pm »
Thank you for responding! You have given me some hope. I have also contacted my GEPIK coordinator asking if I can legally be denied this extra time off. She has yet to respond, but I really hope she says the same thing as you.

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:07:48 pm »
They are obligated to set aside time for your home leave. The have from March until September to choose when they would like you to take it, but they do not get to just not give you your contracted vacation time. I suggest playing as dumb as possible and repeatedly asking your co-teacher when you CAN have your days off, if not during summer vacation, because you have to take them before September, like your contract says. If she gives you some vague response (and she probably will), pretend not to understand and just repeat, "Okay.... sorry.... I'm still not really sure I understand. So when can I take my contracted bonus vacation days from re-signing? I'm sorry to keep repeating it but it's not really clear, and I need to plan a flight...."

Keep at it until they either give you a direct yes or no. Don't allow them to waffle in between until your six month window passes.

Agreed.  This year is going to be tough for all teachers with re-signing bonus vacation days.  The vacation periods have been shortened this year due to the Saturday school days being removed.  Schools will all have to deal with balancing typical English camp plans and the contractual requirements for giving vacation time. 

Press on, diplomatically.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:08:04 pm »
Don't think the vacation has to be consecutive.   They can give you 2 weeks winter vacation and then 10 random days off (testing, field trip days...etc throughout the next 6 months i believe.

• gangwon
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 24, 2011, 08:07:24 am
    • Gangwon Do
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 03:11:38 pm »
It is agreed that you get an extra 2 weeks vacation for re-signing and that is what you should get. It is up to the school when you can take it, although it should be within 6 months, but they cannot take it away from you entirely. Contact your EPIK coordinator if they resist it.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »
2. In the case of renewal of this contract pursuant to the foregoing 1, the
Employee shall be given a fourteen (14) day (weekend and national holidays
inclusive) renewal leave which is additional, beyond the yearly paid leave.
Renewal leave must be taken during the vacation periods not conflicting with
school schedules within six (6) months from the first date of the renewal
contract.

Contract says "Employee shall be given a fourteen (14) day (weekend and national holidays
inclusive) renewal leave which is additional, beyond the yearly paid leave."  Sounds like consecutive time to me.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 03:27:07 pm »
2. In the case of renewal of this contract pursuant to the foregoing 1, the
Employee shall be given a fourteen (14) day (weekend and national holidays
inclusive) renewal leave which is additional, beyond the yearly paid leave.
Renewal leave must be taken during the vacation periods not conflicting with
school schedules within six (6) months from the first date of the renewal
contract.

Contract says "Employee shall be given a fourteen (14) day (weekend and national holidays
inclusive) renewal leave which is additional, beyond the yearly paid leave."  Sounds like consecutive time to me.

I think the other poster meant that you also have an additional summer vacation as per your contract but that this vacation and the re-signing vacation do not have to be consecutive. The two weeks of course, do.

I'd go down to the admin office with it (copy of contract and calender in hand for pointing). Then I'd go to the head of English. Then I'd go to the VP. Just move around the school trying to get it sorted. Eventually they'll crack. They just want to leave it to the last minute so that they can change their plans. They always do. They just want you there as an option when last minute changes happen so they don't want it down on paper. It's the Korean organisational way - organise nothing for a long time and then when you have it organised, change it at the last minute.

So you've got 6 months to take that vacation. Don't forget about your regular summer vacation too. Doesn't seem like they'll let you have them consecutively though (the separate vacations not the 14 days).

Good luck. Just be persistent!
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 03:34:40 pm »
Ok, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
 Well, I am pretty sure that the rest of my vacation time will all be taken in the Winter and during school holidays. I am not greedy just really want my two weeks to go home.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »
You should have (about) a month off with your paid vacation - I'm not sure what the GEPIK contract sates re: paid vacation - and your two weeks 'home leave'.

You tell them, you don't ask. If they say you can't go because you have to do English Camp, you make a loud sucking noise by inhaling through your top teeth and say "I think not possible... because I'm going on my holidays and home leave."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:47:23 pm by cruisemonkey »
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 04:47:37 pm »
...you make a loud sucking noise by inhaling through your top teeth and say "I think not possible... because I'm going on my holidays and home leave."

This is the right answer.

I re-signed (EPIK) earlier this year and negotiated to take my 2 weeks' renewal vacation and 8 days of summer vacation consecutively in July.  The summer break is so short this year that I will be away for the whole time.  My school wants to do a camp, but they know I am not available.  I feel a bit bad about it, but I'm not going to give up my vacation.

To the OP, yes, they can deny it, but only if you roll over and accept it.  No need to get angry, but you really have to be firm and insist on your entitlements.  You may have to negotiate, so be clear (in your mind) about what you will accept, i.e. you might want to split some vacation into the winter break.  The contract doesn't allow this, but anything can be arranged by mutual agreement.  If you do this *get it in writing*.

• Leez
  • Adventurer

• May 11, 2011, 11:08:58 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:28:24 am »
You must get your 2 weeks renewal leave. That is part of your contractual agreement when you resign.

This year the vacation is 3 and a half weeks if you are with GEPIK public school. So basically you can tell your school that you are able to do summer camp for one a half weeks weeks and that then (point at your contract) you have vacation that you must take.

The only difference to the regular vacation days is this:" in the previous GEPIK contract it stated that you must take 10 days in summer and 10 days in winter. The new contract just says the days must divided between the two so technically your school can say well then take 1 day in summer and all 19 in winter.

But I suppose it all depends what you can work out with your school. I've renewed and had planned a month home only to discover that we only have a three and a half vacation. I have managed to negotiate to do double winter camp instead of doing summer camp. More work in winter but it means I'm getting to go home for 3 weeks.

Best of luck with what you might be able to organise. But the 2 weeks you must get. As a previous poster said: just keep pointing at your contract! FIGHTING!

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:46:12 am »
Get what you've been promised.
Be diplomatic but not apologetic.
Don't let then make you feel like they're doing you a favor by sticking to the contractual obligations.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:34 am »
...you make a loud sucking noise by inhaling through your top teeth and say "I think not possible... because I'm going on my holidays and home leave."

I re-signed (EPIK) earlier this year and negotiated to take my 2 weeks' renewal vacation and 8 days of summer vacation consecutively in July.  The summer break is so short this year that I will be away for the whole time.  My school wants to do a camp, but they know I am not available.  I feel a bit bad about it, but I'm not going to give up my vacation.

To the OP, yes, they can deny it, but only if you roll over and accept it.  No need to get angry, but you really have to be firm and insist on your entitlements.  You may have to negotiate, so be clear (in your mind) about what you will accept, i.e. you might want to split some vacation into the winter break.  The contract doesn't allow this, but anything can be arranged by mutual agreement.  If you do this *get it in writing*.

Great post!

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 10:16:34 am »

Yes, I agree. IF you either have no intention of renewing your contract again next time or wouldn't be concerned in the slightest about not being able to renew again, then you should definitely put your foot firmly down and say, very nicely, 'sorry, my 2 week renewal vacation plus my contractually allowed regular vacation means there ain't no time for no summer camp, end of.'  ;D

However, if you really do want to renew with your school again, then you might possibly have to play it a bit more carefully. Of course, you'd be a fool to miss out on time off you are contractually entitled to for the sake of renewing with the very same employer not allowing you to take that time off. But if your previously good relationship with the school was likely to be ruined by you insisting on effectively having the whole summer vacation off, you could compromise a little and still get what you're owed. For example, you could take just your 2 renewal weeks in the summer if they will agree to letting you take the regular days you'd normally have to take in the summer in the winter instead. That'd still mean you having almost a month off, but a lot of schools would find that less disruptive in Jan/Feb than in August.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:06:28 am by ironopolis »

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 12:14:13 pm »
You have all been helpful, thank you so much for your input. I will not be signing again, 2 years here is enough for me. I want to keep a good relationship with my school for the rest of the year though. So, my plan is to gently demand my two weeks in the Summer, happily teach a week and a half of camp, then save all the rest of my vaca time for winter break.

Wish me luck!

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 12:43:12 pm »
You have all been helpful, thank you so much for your input. I will not be signing again, 2 years here is enough for me. I want to keep a good relationship with my school for the rest of the year though. So, my plan is to gently demand my two weeks in the Summer, happily teach a week and a half of camp, then save all the rest of my vaca time for winter break.

Wish me luck!

I know of a couple of people who did exactly what you planned, who found that it worked out ok and they got all the time off they were entitled to. I expect you'll be fine too.

One word of warning though - make sure that your 2 bonus weeks for contract renewal are entered on the paperwork or on the NEIS computer system as something OTHER than regular vacation days. A situation you'd want to avoid is that come January or February, your school says, 'sorry, but you already used 10 days of your vacation last August.' You say 'no, that was my renewal bonus 2 weeks', but they reply that those days are recorded on the system as regular vacation days and therefore come off your regular vacation entitlement.

I very much doubt your school would deliberately pull that trick to cheat you out of the renewal bonus 2 weeks. But I could foresee someone unthinkingly recording your summer time off wrongly as 'regular vacation' and then it being difficult to rectify that later. Quite often Korean teachers don't completely understand aspects of our contracts and conditions that have no equivalent in their own and as a result they make these kinds of mistakes.

• annekat
  • Veteran

• April 26, 2011, 07:56:08 am
    • Osan, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 12:48:41 pm »
Yah, as others said. They have to give it to  you.

My friend's school was trying to do the same to her, but she took it to the GEPIK coordinator who said they had to. So you should be good as long as you fight for it.

My school is giving me 13 days, as I have to be back and at school for Fri the 17th of August when school starts, even though I won't have any classes that day. Ugh.

They are saying if I want to leave on the Fri the 3rd of August AFTER I finish teaching summer camp, it will count as 14 days.....
I'm just going to roll with it and take 20 days vacation in January/February. (which is so far OK with my CT)

Good luck! I hope you hear positive news from the coordinator soon.
__You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt__
and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time???

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 03:16:49 pm »
Yeah, they really don't want to give it to me. Also, I think they have a huge problem with me leaving the country. It isn't like I am not coming back. I am leaving my husband and dog here while I go visit for goodness sake. They are turning it into a huge deal when it really doesn't need to be. I am sad because I have really enjoyed my school thus far:( I shouldn't have to fight for what is due to me. It is a depressing situation.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 03:22:41 pm »
That's really a bum deal OP.  I can't really offer any advice other than encouraging you to push on diplomatically.  Have they directly addressed the fact that it's in your contract but they're not giving it to you anyways, or are they skirting the issue?
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.