Read 1954 times

• Warra
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 08:10:27 am
    • South Korea
Xbox vs. PS3
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:21:05 am »
I just want to know if I buy an Xbox here will it work in South Africa? I think our region is PAL and Korea's region is NTSC, so I heard Xbox won't work but PS3 might? Does anyone know for sure?

• ktbffh
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2011, 11:39:59 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
Re: Xbox vs. PS3
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:51 am »
not sure about xbox, but from what i know, you will be able to play PAL and NTSC games on a PS3, but might have some difficulties with watching Blu-ray movies.

• Warra
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 08:10:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:16:32 am »
Ok cool, thanks! I usually prefer Xbox but I guess PS3 might just be the better option this time

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:34:48 am »
The Xbox has restricted region compatibility, making returning it back to SA and trying to buy games problematic.

The PS3 I bought here will definitely work with SA games (already tried), as its games are completely region free. Blu-rays are the exception, as pointed out above.

In short: PS3 FTW.

• ovid
  • Veteran

• July 26, 2010, 11:42:52 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:44:23 am »
what about buying games?  Can i use my foreign credit card to buy games on the PS3 network if the PS3 is korean?

• Chadwickhhs
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:29:45 pm »
what about buying games?  Can i use my foreign credit card to buy games on the PS3 network if the PS3 is korean?
I don't have a definitive answer here but I don't think so. I have an American PS3 and even though I can buy games on the American network all the way out in Korea, I can't seem to get my Korean visa to work. Though I'm not sure if that's a card problem, a bank problem, or the PS3.

• konayuki
  • Adventurer

• March 07, 2011, 09:22:09 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 12:39:20 am »
I don't have a definitive answer here but I don't think so. I have an American PS3 and even though I can buy games on the American network all the way out in Korea, I can't seem to get my Korean visa to work. Though I'm not sure if that's a card problem, a bank problem, or the PS3.

It's a PSN problem. I tried to buy games as well, but when you're logged into the American PSN it will only allow Credit Cards with addresses in the United States: the country slot is already filled and you can't even change it to the ROK.

Definitely bring the PS3 for the aforementioned reasons (region-free games, access to home country PSN, etc.) Also know that you only need an adapter plug, no need for a full blown transformer to change voltages. :)

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:59:29 am »
IIRC the PSN deal works like this:
You can use a PSN account from anywhere in any country.  So if you live in Europe or wherever, you can just pick a random US address and have a US PSN account, which you can, in turn access from, for instance, asia just fine.  The two conditions are:
1) if you buy things on the account with a credit card, the card address/country has to match the account address/country.  So if you want to buy DLC for a US PSN account, you need a US credit card.
2) While games from any region will play on PS3's from any region, many (not all, but many) multiplayer games are locked to servers (or DLC) from the country they are bought from.   So if you buy a Korean game to play online, while  the odds are good the game will be in English, the odds are also good that you'll be playing with Koreans online, or that you'll need a Korean PSN account (with a Korean credit card to match) if you wanted to buy DLC online for it.

Note that this is still SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 360 situation in terms of region locking.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 01:18:30 am »
PS3 is better on the region issue. I opted for a PS3 when coming abroad for that reason. A better solution, get a decent PC.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:34:01 am »
If you want to buy games in Korea on PSN (at least with an American account) you can buy the prepaid cards and put money on your account. Best Buy has a deal where you pay with your credit card and they email you the code. Done it a couple of times and it has worked with no problems. Good for the classic games where online play isn't an issue.