Read 12226 times

Fishing in Korea
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:17:35 pm »
I love fishing, and this year I finally broke down and got myself a fairly decent rod and reel. Where do you fish? Have you had any luck this year?
I've been testing the local river that runs through Asan (in Chungnam) for the past couple weekends using spinners and plastics. Had a couple tenative bites but wasn't able to land anything save a smallish bass.
The thing that annoys me about fishing in Korea is the lack of a license. While you can fish on rivers and creeks for free, if you want to try your luck on a lake it's a uniform 10,000 won per trip. So you can't really get an hour of evening fishing in after work without emptying your pockets.
There are also seems to be a stigma in some places against casting and retrieving. I visited a lake last weekend and was asked to leave because I wasn't using the 12 foot bamboo rod the Koreans use to catch 6 inch fish.

• Aqvm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2012, 06:55:24 am
Re: Fishing in Korea
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:25 am »
I like to fly fish and I will definitely be going out to the rivers around Jirisan this summer. I'll probably end up buying one of the bamboo rods with no reel that Koreans use and tying my own flies.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:05:33 am »
I went fishing once outside of Suwon.  I know this sounds like the old fishing story but it's true.  The guy I was with caught close to 60 fish in an hour.  I caught about 20, but I'm a horrible fisherman.  They were pretty small fish and I can't remember the name but my friend said they taste really nice.  The plan was to have a huge dinner for all of our coworkers.  It turned out to be a disaster, though.  The Koreans refused to eat the fish because they said the river we got them from was too polluted, though it looked fine to me.  After hearing that I decided not to eat any, either.  My friend kept on eating fish from there and never got sick but I'd trust the Koreans over the foreigner about which places are safe to fish.

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:37:03 pm »
A lot of Koreans go "camping" when they decide to fish. Basically they will park their car by a man-made lake set up a tent in a space that they rented out. Then there will be docks with small blue, red, green and yellow tents liked up. You pay around 10,000 won a day and you get a space to go fishing. They breed fish in the lake specifically for this sort of thing. Makes fishing real easy. I wouldn't mind knocking back some soju and beers and going fishing either.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:14:39 pm »
Turns out bass is an evasive species here, that was haphazardly released into some dams in the 70s. In the Spring they release water from the dams in preparation for monsoon season, which released fish into the waterways. Basically they have taken over nearly every major river in Korea.
Some of the private lake owners stock their lakes with bass; others don't. Koreans are slowly warming up to bass fishing. I was fishing last Friday and found a spawning spot on the local river with HUMONGOUS bass. Pulled out two 20 inch+ monsters and most of the others were around 10-15 inch radius.

• ninohan
  • Adventurer

• June 02, 2012, 06:06:00 pm
    • seoul
    more
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:19:08 pm »
Hi,

Here is a real good information about fishing and angling in Korea.

http://seoul.angloinfo.com/information/87/fishing.asp
seoul.angloinfo.com
Everything you want to know about living in Seoul. More than 7,000 English speaking business directory. http://www.expatguidekorea.com

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• July 04, 2012, 12:00:38 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 12:58:57 pm »
I looked at the korean sport fisherman ass. but itwas all in Korean. I would like to do some fishing and I live near Bupyeong and heard that Muido has fishing but the water is dirty? What other places would have clean carp or bass? A place that can be reached by bus or train in one day? Thanks, Taewon
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield