• llolee
  • Adventurer

• December 20, 2010, 08:02:51 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
LASIK/LASEK eye center recommendations
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:18:43 pm »
I'm starting to look at different places to get vision correction surgery.  :o

I'd like somewhere in Busan, but I keep coming across the different Dream Eye Clinic offices in Seoul. I'd make the trip if it's the top notch place. Please wage in on your opinions/experiences...

Thanks!

• klin062
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2011, 02:28:48 pm
    • Seongnam
Re: LASIK/LASEK eye center recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:27:44 pm »
I had LASEK surgery done at St Mary's Eye Center in Gangnam which I would highly recommend.  They give you a free consultation and I think if memory serves I paid 1.5 mil with a lifetime guarantee for repeat surgery etc if anything happened to go wrong, although this is highly unlikely.
They have English speaking staff who are very attentive and always make sure I am looked after the second I step in the door.
This is their website:
http://www.perfectvision.co.kr/?c=1/6

However, if you do live in Busan then it might be a good idea to get your surgery done there as you do have to go back for a lot of check ups after surgery and it might be a pain for you to have to keep coming up to Seoul.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:07:40 am »
Would you mind telling me how they determine the price? I've heard of people back home that have had it done and it depended on how strong your prescription is. I'd love to have it done but I have pretty poor eyesight and worry that its going to cost way more than that?

• llolee
  • Adventurer

• December 20, 2010, 08:02:51 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:52:38 am »
klin, thanks for the link. I'll get in touch with them and see what they have to say. Maybe they can recommend someone in Busan.

How many times did you have  to go back for check ups?

• JPJ2010
  • Waygookin

• November 01, 2010, 09:31:40 am
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:51:18 am »
I went to ABC in Busan for mine. It's in Seomyeon by the train station. Mine was about 1.8 after taking meds into account. They're really helpful and well known. Lots of autographed photos of celebrities on the walls. My coteacher and a couple friends have had theirs done there, too. If you come on a recommendation from someone they will give you a discount.

http://clean-eye.co.kr/default.htm

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »
I just had my LASIK done at 밝은세상안과 in Busan   http://www.iloveeye.com/index.php#

It is located about a block away from Lotte Dept. Store in Seomyeon on the 8th(main) and 9th floors in the building with both the Angel-in-Us and Coffee Bean shops next to each other on the ground level (about 95% sure you can head up from subway Exit 7 and it will be on your immediate left).
The sign for the clinic has 밝은세상안과 and includes something else in English, probably "Bright-Tomorrow-For You" ...

They test thoroughly and have fluent English speakers. For sure one young woman works there on Saturdays, speaks excellent English, and seems to help many of the foreigners who come in (I will check her name if you want to ask for her specifically). They take appointments until 7:30pm on weekdays and are open for sure on Saturdays.

Mine was fast and easy. They have mandatory post-surgery checkups at 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, and you may come and go as needed. They will also give clear instructions for post-surgery eye care (eye drops, sleep goggles for 2 weeks, face washing/showering restrictions, etc)

Price ... not sure how they determine the huge discounts they throw out. I paid 1.3 for both eyes, but I also dropped names of other people who went there - one of the forms you fill out will have space to say who recommended you. Every Korean I know who had surgery went to this clinic, so ask around.

Any more specific questions, please post and/or PM me!

• klin062
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2011, 02:28:48 pm
    • Seongnam
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 02:10:06 pm »
Someone else already posted lots of information but just to clarify...

I had LASEK which is the one which takes longer to heal but is supposed to be safer in the long run.  You have to go back to have a check up the day after your surgery, then one week later so they can take out the contact lenses which are left in to help you heal after surgery.
After that you have to go back about 2 weeks later then 3 weeks later then it gradually declines to a month later, 3 months later etc. 
I had my surgery done over Chuseok last year (September), my last check up was in January and I don't need another one now till May.

There are quite a few check up's involved but I guess it is a good thing they are keeping track of how your eyes are doing.

Also after surgery you have quite a lot of eye drops you need to put in at various intervals throughout the day and it's important to remember to use them as it can affect your recovery.

Despite the initial check up/eye drop annoyance, it is definately worth it in the long run.

As for pricing, I got a deal with Dealicious.

http://dealiciouskorea.net/deals/lasek-gangnam-st-marys-eye-center

It looks like they still have the deal going so it is reasonably priced compared to a lot of other places.  LASEK was 1.5 million and LASIK 1.4 million I think.
The price was fixed and it didn't matter what prescription your eyes were, I don't know if other places determine price according to your eye prescription but that was not the case at St Mary's.

Anyway hope that helps!

• Yuriy
  • Newgookin

• November 08, 2010, 10:39:18 am
    • Jeju
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:02:36 pm »
In Jejudo Kim Gi Suk is very good and his English is adequate.  0647511516 is his number.  He has an office in Shi-chung and one near Tapdong.

• daygar
  • Waygookin

• February 22, 2012, 02:54:26 pm
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 02:41:16 pm »
So I was thinking of doing LASIK via the discount in Seoul (for about 600k won), but I live in Gyeongju (near Pohang). Are these checkups mandatory for each center? Because I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to travel back and forth to Seoul after a day/week/month/etc.

If so, it sounds like one of these Busan places will be for me! Suggestions are welcome!