Read 25953 times

• twak24
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2011, 08:01:42 pm
"The Hot Seat" Filler Game: Big picture-packed PPT
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:08:39 am »
Here is my Hot Seat PPT to use as a filler game or whatever. The instructions are on the 1st slide.
The words are just general nouns like different animals, feelings, food, sports, everyday items, countries and people.
I put a lot of love and hours into finding clear and aesthetically pleasing pictures, so it looks good and keeps attention much longer than just writing the words on the board behind them.
 :-*

• pinny
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2011, 11:06:46 am
    • daegu - south korea
Re: "The Hot Seat" Filler Game: Big picture-packed PPT
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:09:28 pm »
nice. kind of like my tabboo game.

• dansk
  • Veteran

• March 13, 2012, 12:26:55 pm
    • Inje-gun, Gangwon-do
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:39:09 pm »
Awesome!  I'm going to use this tomorrow in all three of my middle school classes!

• wango
  • Waygookin

• September 05, 2011, 03:47:16 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:31:15 pm »
nice pictures, thanks great work!

• sonya
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2009, 08:54:59 am
    • Wonju
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:49:03 am »
Twak24,

I had some spare time at the end of my class and decided to give your game a try...I usually use flashcards for this but this format was so much better.  Students who rarely participate were in it to win it.  I just did it with individuals.  If they got the answer, I gave them a prize and the cluegiver replaced them in the hotseat.  Brilliant!

Beautiful pics!  Where did you get them?

Sonya

• meaghan
  • Waygookin

• March 05, 2012, 11:50:54 am
    • Bundang
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:57:21 pm »
this is awesome, thanks!
English theatre in Korea! www.seoulplayers.co m

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:35:14 pm »
Thanks.  Great pictures!

• twak24
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:48:28 am »
Twak24,

I had some spare time at the end of my class and decided to give your game a try...I usually use flashcards for this but this format was so much better.  Students who rarely participate were in it to win it.  I just did it with individuals.  If they got the answer, I gave them a prize and the cluegiver replaced them in the hotseat.  Brilliant!

Beautiful pics!  Where did you get them?

Sonya

Neh, AKA "Y'all are welcome"  ;)

That's a good idea too, Sonya. Thanks for the tip.
I got some of the pictures from Google Images, some of them are from other people's "Hot Seat" PPTs, but the majority of my pictures that I use for the quizzes and my other PPTs I get off a site called "weheartit.com" (We Heart It) I am ever so slightly ashamed of that because it's a rather pretentious site, mainly kept afloat by teenage tumblr girls, but meh, it works really well, especially appealing to the contemporary adolescent Korean aesthetic. There are also a few thousand images of Korean celebrities, fashion, food, stuff etc, so it's a good resource for that too. I often find the images to be more clear, colourful and interesting than the ubiquitous stock photo of "smiling person with apple".
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:53:56 am by twak24 »

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:01 am »
There are quite a few versions of Taboo on here.

Works great when you add a 'Pictionary' or 'Miming' round.  Roll a dice to see which it will be.

Give more points per clue when the students describe in the 'Speaking' round.

Another option is to show the picture and let each team write a description using the chalk board or white board.  If any of the teams answers are the same, then they get no points.

• pinny
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2011, 11:06:46 am
    • daegu - south korea
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »
interesting idea to have a pictionary round...but I remember my Epik orientation, and being told that Korea spends most time and money getting their students to speak English, but their level of speaking was one of the worst in the world (?) and therefore, as a G.E.T. our job is to get them to speak?

• sonya
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2009, 08:54:59 am
    • Wonju
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 03:27:42 pm »
Twak24...thanks for the link I''ll check it out!

Pictionary rounds are interesting and gives students with less ability a chance to participate...I've also done this game with flashcards where one student sees the pic an must describe it to the class.  He has 3 options...if he mimes he only gets 1 point for his team...if he draws then 2 points and if he uses only English then his team is rewarded with 3 points.  With the competition level where it is in this country, the only time I've had students mime is when it is by accident.  I have this game and some others posted here

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,957.msg218324.html#msg218324

that you can use as fillers or for a whole class.

Sonya

• Kaht
  • Explorer

• April 29, 2012, 07:38:18 am
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:41:32 am »
I can't wait to download this.  Thanks for all your hard work in compiling and creating this!

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:41 am »
This is one of my favorite games for filling in time.  Thank you for putting in the hard work to compile the pictures and create the PPT.

• me
  • Waygookin

• July 06, 2010, 07:10:18 pm
    • Korea-ah ah
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 08:59:40 am »
WOW, this is amazing! My H.S'ers will love this! They love taboo and I always make flashcards, but this would be perrrrfect~~~  ;)

• JT080
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2012, 07:46:19 am
    • Suwon
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 08:15:47 am »
The pictures in this are the best I've seen in any hot seat game. You are very correct in that the students are fully engaged due to the attraction of the photos.

Bravo!

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 09:03:19 am »
I've made hot seat games in the past and this one is better than mine! Thanks!

• Liz Song
  • Newgookin

• January 29, 2013, 08:16:25 am
    • CA
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 02:03:36 pm »
Thanks for the beautiful pictures! You are amazing!

• twak24
  • Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 10:06:59 pm »
Awe, thanks y'all for the positive feedback. I've been out of Korea for almost 6 months now and I came on here for the first time since I was there to look for a PPT for someone and I saw my user name on the second lesson down on the middle school lesson section. I'm glad that people still find this helpful and I just want to encourage those who make stuff to do it well and post it for others. You dunno whose butt you are saving or helping to have a more pleasant and anxiety free Korean experience. 대한민국 파이팅!

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 01:34:11 pm »
I work at an academic high school and the students completely lost it with this game! Got them super hyped up!!! Thanks!!! ;D ;D ;D

• Lawrence
  • Super Waygook

• March 06, 2013, 10:59:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 11:29:30 am »
Awe, thanks y'all for the positive feedback. I've been out of Korea for almost 6 months now and I came on here for the first time since I was there to look for a PPT for someone and I saw my user name on the second lesson down on the middle school lesson section. I'm glad that people still find this helpful and I just want to encourage those who make stuff to do it well and post it for others. You dunno whose butt you are saving or helping to have a more pleasant and anxiety free Korean experience. 대한민국 파이팅!

Thank you so much for this. Yesterday I was working on this a bit. Reading about how to play and I have a couple of images that I got. Hopefully many people will benefit from this and hopefully others and myself will upload more material like this. I have some material from a warm up that I will upload later. It is not from this game but the game "a four letter word" "a three letter word". Thanks a million.  :-*