Read 27244 times

Re: Misconceptions about Africa/ South Africa
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2013, 08:00:12 am »
Since I have been in Korea I have been shown how to:
1. Use a kettle
2. How to turn on the computer and
3. How to use a cam corder.

This all by different CTs. Each time I just look at them, ask if they joking and laugh about it.

I try my best to give everyone I meet here (including other foreigners) the most realistic view about South Africa. People forget that SA is a fairly new democratic country and still has a long way to go. I am proud of what we have to offer the world, proud of those who made the list that a previous waygookian posted. And I certainly agree that by having the opportunity to grow up surrounded by such diversity of  culture has allowed me to learn and accept more about the world. There are many Koreans that are currently living in South Africa. I tutored many Korean children before coming to Korea. It was through my exposure tutoring these children that I learnt about their culture and in the same way I hope by teaching in Korea I will provide the same opportunity to my students to learn about sunny South Africa.

I am proudly South African!

Hey Tamryn5

Where abouts were you teaching Korean kids in South Africa? Sounds like you had a real understanding before coming over. Just wondering about how many Koreans actually live in SA.

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2013, 09:11:24 am »
To be fair, most South Africans are just as ignorant about South Korea, maybe even more so. While I was preparing to come over, I got serious questions like, "Are you going to the north or the south?" and "South Korea... that's next to Thailand, right?" A few years ago, I had a Korean friend who had recently moved to SA and she asked me what South Africans thought of Koreans. I had to tell her, in the nicest way possible, that South Africans don't really think about South Korea much. The Korean consulate's website estimates there are only about 4000 Koreans in SA. I only knew the little I did because I have many friends who have taught in Korea. In comparison to news coverage North Korea gets, most South Africans probably only know about Hyundai, Samsung and the World Cup that South Korea hosted. Of course, Gangnam Style has changed that now. Although maybe not in the right way  :cheesy:

I've gotten a few of the usual questions about my skin colour etc, but nothing too bad. I addressed many of the students' perceptions on day 1 with a lesson on my life back home. They will be getting plenty more of it around Heritage Day. I like the idea that we are not just here to teach a language, but also to expose children to the wondrous world out there.

I like telling Koreans that South Africans also fought in the Korean War to help save them and this usually earns some respect. When my Korean friends post something on Facebook about feeling sorry for starving Africans, I half-jokingly ask if this means they will buy me dinner. I like telling Koreans that South Africa is number 3 in the world for mobile data usage, just behind the US and Korea, and that everyone in Africa is projected to have a smartphone by 2030. My colleagues here were amazed that I had eaten rice before I came to Korea and knew how to use chopsticks. I explained them about Cape Malay cuisine and Cape Town's love affair with sushi. All of our countries have stereotypes and we are doing a service by challenging them.

One thing this thread had demonstrated is that Koreans are certainly not the only people who are ignorant of the world beyond their borders  :wink:

Also, just so you know, there is more than one South African accent, just like there is more than one American or British accent. At least four distinct accents amongst English-speaking South Africans alone. Now add in regional accents from the other 10 official languages and you get the idea...

• Daantaat
  • Adventurer

• November 03, 2010, 11:28:38 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2013, 11:50:09 am »
This thread has really made me want to visit South Africa. It seems like an interesting and vibrant country. Growing up in Canada, I'd only ever heard of apartheid and Charlize Theron, and honestly, I can't ever recall meeting anyone from SA until I came to Korea.

• grajoker
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 09:02:27 am
    • yeoju korea
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2013, 02:32:39 pm »
Another misconception is that Houtbay is really a seperate republic from South Africa.

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2013, 11:22:31 am »
Another misconception is that Houtbay is really a seperate republic from South Africa.

;D

Yeah my best one was: "You have cities in South Africa?" (This was at middle school.)

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2016, 07:39:38 pm »
Korean people "Oh, ok. Southern Africa, but what country?"

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • The Legend

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2016, 08:04:10 pm »

I think you meant, "Oh okay, SOUTH AFRICA, but what country?"

Otherwise that is a fair enough question.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2016, 09:59:03 pm »

I think you meant, "Oh okay, SOUTH AFRICA, but what country?"

Otherwise that is a fair enough question.

The only time I've ever gotten the "But what country in South Africa" it was from an American teacher.  :rolleyes:

• Trishalin
  • Explorer

• July 13, 2016, 01:43:34 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2016, 07:47:57 am »
My co teacher asked if i was a "Negro" because I'm from South Africa, im classified as an Indian in South Africa. But what made this funnier is he referred to himself as "yellow".

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2016, 09:35:24 am »
My co teacher asked if i was a "Negro" because I'm from South Africa, im classified as an Indian in South Africa. But what made this funnier is he referred to himself as "yellow".

I'm not really bothered by the misconceptions.
What does annoy me is that no matter how many times I say 'South AFRICA'/남아프리카 most people think I'm talking about South America.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2016, 10:10:41 am »
What does annoy me is that no matter how many times I say 'South AFRICA'/남아프리카 most people think I'm talking about South America.

The majority of my students shorten the name to "남아공" (from "남아 프리 카 공화국") when they refer to S.A. Maybe it might help if you give 'em that translation first?

• Jaydonv
  • Waygookin

• March 29, 2016, 08:08:51 pm
    • Chungnam
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2016, 10:21:16 am »

The majority of my students shorten the name to "남아공" (from "남아 프리 카 공화국") when they refer to S.A. Maybe it might help if you give 'em that translation first?

I generally find that they catch on to 남아공 much faster than 남아프리카 - so I just default to the former when someone asks.

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2019, 10:01:50 pm »
All of the misconceptions of Africa/South Africa is to blame on the globalized American media. Koreans in particular have bowed down to that which fed their closed minded views of people from certain parts of the world. I am Canadian and I really love to travel to parts of Africa and South Africa. I have been to Zimbabwe but I went with a group of people. Next time I want to go alone and let it hang down.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2019, 03:29:17 am »
Misconceptions abound for MANY foreign countries.

I am from bloody Vancouver. It's warmer than Busan in winter, rain galore not snow. (Wow. Really.)

I am Canadian yeah, but most people in my province have never been to Niagara Falls (shock!).

I am a native English speaker but a scarf is not a "muffler" (American English auto part) and we use meters (not feet/miles).

And Vancouver is not the capital of Canada. It's not even the capital of the province.(Three times locals have refused to believe that.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:27:04 am by VanIslander »

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Gouda cheese Be Best cheese
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2019, 07:52:50 pm »
I've got relatives there, Boers, and they're pretty weird. :rolleyes:
Fiat voluntas tua- All that you want is allowed

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2019, 08:05:57 pm »
Misconceptions abound for MANY foreign countries.

I am from bloody Vancouver. It's warmer than Busan in winter, rain galore not snow. (Wow. Really.)

I am Canadian yeah, but most people in my province have never been to Niagara Falls (shock!).

I am a native English speaker but a scarf is not a "muffler" (American English auto part) and we use meters (not feet/miles).

And Vancouver is not the capital of Canada. It's not even the capital of the province.(Three times locals have refused to believe that.)

Was asked by a nurse what it was like in Vancouver in the winter.  I told her, ďI donít know; Iíve never been there. My home town is about 6000 km away!Ē She didnít believe me until I showed her a map.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • The Legend

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2019, 12:23:31 pm »
I've got relatives there, Boers, and they're pretty weird. :rolleyes:

Elaborate please !!
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2019, 04:07:52 pm »
Was asked by a nurse what it was like in Vancouver in the winter.  I told her, ďI donít know; Iíve never been there. My home town is about 6000 km away!Ē She didnít believe me until I showed her a map.

Next time this happens ask them what the weather is like in Cairns or Tehran, it's the same distance, I measured. haha
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2019, 04:21:09 pm »

Next time this happens ask them what the weather is like in Cairns or Tehran, it's the same distance, I measured. haha
I actually did that... donít remember which city I used, but there was a huge map on the wall.