Read 4917 times

• Andy84
  • Veteran

• April 13, 2012, 01:12:11 am
    • Dublin, Ireland
A few noobie questions.
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:58:55 am »
Hi. :) Just joined the forum, hoping to head over to S.K. in a month to teach. Naturally I have a million questions, and have found answers to most of them but I'm wondering about some things.

Japan has a month long tourist rail pass that's a lot cheaper for tourists, so they can get around and see the whole country. It has to be bought outside of Japan of course. Does Korea have something similar to this? And can I buy this Japanese pass from Korea (i.e. is it considered far enough away?)

Also is this a real IMAX screen in Busan? http://www.bigmoviezone.com/txshows/....html?uniq=915
The Dark Knight Rises is coming out this summer ;) I'd probably be willing to travel to Seoul or somewhere in Japan to see it in IMAX, make a holiday out of it. Are there screenings in Korean cinemas that don't have the Hangul subtitles, screenings for English speaking foreigners?

Thanks in Advance.

• plchron
  • Super Waygook

• July 20, 2011, 10:24:04 am
    • Ulsan
Re: A few noobie questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:53:31 am »
They advertise Imax in BUsan, never went inside though.

• Andy84
  • Veteran

• Dublin, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:27:07 am »
Thanks. Anyone know about the railpass?

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:57:57 am »
Thanks. Anyone know about the railpass?

http://info.korail.com/2007/eng/eng_index.jsp

Check under the heading "Traveling."
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• raziel
  • Veteran

• June 15, 2011, 08:04:12 pm
    • Yangsan, South Korea
    more
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:24 am »
I would say that even if there is some kind of rail pass in Korea, I wouldn't bother buying it. Unlike Japan, transportation in Korea is insanely cheap. For example, if I buy a one-way ticket from one side of Seoul to the other, I'd pay 1700 won ($1.50), and then when I get there I can turn in my ticket and get 500 won back. So basically, its free. A train from Seoul to Busan will run 30,000 won to 50,000 won (about $40), whereas the same distance in Japan is a couple hundred dollars.

Just buy a T-money card at a station in Seoul for a couple bucks, and put money on that and use it like everyone else. All the machines have an English button so it's not too hard! :)

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:52:22 am »
welcome to korea mate, the country with one of the best public transportation system (me thinks).
its so cheap as someone already mentioned, that a railpass would not be necessary (also note that this country is real small). I think its the only developed country where tickets can be this cheap
There are several IMAX screens in Seoul and few others in the big cities, though I doubt that there are screenings for foreigners only.

and just a random advice- if you're coming soon, don't forget to bring deodrants of your choice!

• Andy84
  • Veteran

• Dublin, Ireland
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:00:00 am »
Oh, I didn't know that. Great!  ;D I'll just buy one of the Japanese ones for when I holiday there then. They work out at pretty good value if you go for a whole month.

And noted, I'll bring lots of deoderant! :D Do the Koreans use that powder stuff that the Japanese use?

• saemna12
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 01:20:11 pm
    • korea
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:50:22 am »
Actually, here in Korea we use both the spray and the stick. Personally, I haven't seen the powder sold here.

• Andy84
  • Veteran

• Dublin, Ireland
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:31:30 am »
Hmm ok! :D Not sure why it was recommended I bring some with me then. Thanks though.

• JazzRat
  • Adventurer

• December 10, 2010, 07:42:37 am
    • hanam city
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »
Because it's super expensive and you only have the choice of two brands- nivea or dove- if you're a girl that is- not sure about the man stuff

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 03:07:28 pm »
Deodorant for men:

In most supermarkets like Home Plus you can find the Nivea for men. It is the antiperspirant not deodorant in many cases.  However it is made for guys. You can find western products in some of the online stores but I would still bring a butt-load with me if you are picky about brands

The rail passes for Japan can be bought from travel agents. Places like Kangsan Travel (google them) speak English and have got me them in the past. For Korea, if you are looking for deals... well the system is already cheap as is. Alternatively you can use the Korail card that can be picked up at Large train stations that will give you mileage point that can be used to get deductions from your train fare.

• Reghardt
  • Explorer

• February 29, 2012, 12:00:16 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
    more
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 09:28:04 am »
Hey there,

I've been in Korea for two months and now I'm starting to plan my summer holiday. I'm planning to go to Japan and was told by someone that it is great to take a boat/ferry from Busan, over to Japan. She also said that it's great to stop over at some islands with hot springs just off the coast of Japan. Can anyone recommend what the best/cheapest way is to get tickets tickets for one of these ferries?

Also, would anyone recommend that I get the Japanese rail card if I'm only going for two weeks? Still cheaper?

Thanks

• wawawawonder
  • Adventurer

• November 30, 2010, 10:37:09 am
    • Sokcho, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 10:38:20 am »
It's worth mentioning that rail won't get you to a lot of worthwhile places in Korea, e.g. Sokcho and Seoraksan. Buses are a more viable option than trains in a lot of cases. They are affordable and (in general) very comfortable.

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:06:01 am »
Hi. :) Just joined the forum, hoping to head over to S.K. in a month to teach. Naturally I have a million questions, and have found answers to most of them but I'm wondering about some things.

Japan has a month long tourist rail pass that's a lot cheaper for tourists, so they can get around and see the whole country. It has to be bought outside of Japan of course. Does Korea have something similar to this? And can I buy this Japanese pass from Korea (i.e. is it considered far enough away?)

Also is this a real IMAX screen in Busan? http://www.bigmoviezone.com/txshows/....html?uniq=915
The Dark Knight Rises is coming out this summer ;) I'd probably be willing to travel to Seoul or somewhere in Japan to see it in IMAX, make a holiday out of it. Are there screenings in Korean cinemas that don't have the Hangul subtitles, screenings for English speaking foreigners?

Thanks in Advance.

As to your IMAX question, I saw the Avengers here on Tuesday. It wasn't an IMAX-brand screen, but it was pretty durned big.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 01:27:04 pm »
I made sure to bring an armfull of deoderant as I'd heard about the deodorant situation, and I don't recall seeing much here yet...

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 03:44:26 pm »
I made sure to bring an armfull of deoderant as I'd heard about the deodorant situation, and I don't recall seeing much here yet...

I buy my deodorant at the Body Shop, but it's triple the price here as it is in the US. If I'm not in a hurry, I'll order it online and have my mom ship it to me.

• ndrwwlltts
  • Explorer

• May 08, 2012, 08:35:55 am
    • girin-myeon, gangwon-do
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 06:55:12 pm »
Deodorant is also available relativel;y reasonably at Daiso.

• tails
  • Veteran

• November 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm
    • Cambridge, England
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 07:59:48 pm »
Why is deodorant so expensive, do Koreans not traditionally use it?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.