Read 8322 times

Re: What's your favourite climate? POLL
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 01:54:05 am »
I hate super humid weather and I hate super dry weather. Either one messes with my sinuses.

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »
Being from good ol' middle of nowhere Kansas, I have had the (dis)pleasure of growing up with all kinds of weather. Our favorite saying, "if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes", surprisingly is a very accurate description of Kansas weather. Of course, Kansas doesn't have monsoon season so I am looking forward to the summer a bit.
Doesn't mean I won't eventually start complaining about it, though...  :D
Kansas is grand, isn't it? How many times have I said, yes, it snows in Kansas; yes, it has torrential rains and killer t-storms; yes, it gets very hot; yes, very windy too.

I've lived all over the US, so I've done everything from upstate New York to South Carolina to the midwest to California. Weather-wise I think Korea is the most miserable for me.

I prefer sunny and no wind. It can be cold, snowy, hot, warm, cool... just sunny and no wind. Sadly, I really hate Korean weather. The lack of quality sunshine kills me.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »
I wonder who my other three friends are in the cold-humid crowd...  8)
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 02:44:10 pm »
Being from good ol' middle of nowhere Kansas, I have had the (dis)pleasure of growing up with all kinds of weather. Our favorite saying, "if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes", surprisingly is a very accurate description of Kansas weather. Of course, Kansas doesn't have monsoon season so I am looking forward to the summer a bit.
Doesn't mean I won't eventually start complaining about it, though...  :D
Kansas is grand, isn't it? How many times have I said, yes, it snows in Kansas; yes, it has torrential rains and killer t-storms; yes, it gets very hot; yes, very windy too.

I've lived all over the US, so I've done everything from upstate New York to South Carolina to the midwest to California. Weather-wise I think Korea is the most miserable for me.

I prefer sunny and no wind. It can be cold, snowy, hot, warm, cool... just sunny and no wind. Sadly, I really hate Korean weather. The lack of quality sunshine kills me.

Lack of quality sunshine? I think you're weather-spoiled ;) One of the very few things I love about Korea is how much sun there is. But then, I'm from New England and upstate NY.... :P

• theTazz
  • Veteran

• March 30, 2011, 08:33:51 am
    • Jeju Island
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »
I personally hate Korea's weather: the long freezing cold winter, the monsoon season, the face-melting humidity in summer and the fact that it's only nice for about 6 weeks a year! I guess I'm lucky in that I live on Jeju so I get to go to the beach when it's stinking hot.

That said my ideal climate would be warm/hot arid. Coming to Korea has really made me appreciate the weather back home in South Africa: long hot summer with thunderstorms, warm spring and autumn, short sharp winter, NEVER humid. Mmm...

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 03:37:12 pm »
I personally hate Korea's weather: the long freezing cold winter, the monsoon season, the face-melting humidity in summer and the fact that it's only nice for about 6 weeks a year!

I totally agree with your post but it reminds me of some cultural lesson I saw in a Korean English textbook I was using.  The topic was about how in English speaking countries we might talk about the weather when we meet strangers.  The explanation given in the book was that we get excited about the weather and talk about it a lot because we don't have such nice weather like Korea does.  Let's just say I refused to teach that lesson.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 04:00:06 pm »
That's hilarious, Jeff.

It's so interesting to see different perspectives based upon places we all call "home" or 'ideal weather'. I hate Korea's weather because it doesnt rain enough and it's not sunny enough or humid enough, or hot enough. Does anyone else get really angry in cold/dry weather? Not depressed, angry. I was so angry this winter, felt like all of the time, but now that it's warming up I'm feeling on top of the world and enjoying...
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 06:16:17 pm »
I tend to be nicer in the cold and cranky when it's hot.

Also, the lack of serious thunderstorms is almost a dealbreaker for me. There is nothing nicer than walking home during a massive thunderstorm.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

• dansk
  • Veteran

• March 13, 2012, 12:26:55 pm
    • Inje-gun, Gangwon-do
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 08:52:47 pm »
Unless it's a place where there are serious weather changes throughout the year, I'm not going to be satisfied.  I need blazing heat and freezing cold.  I could never live in a place like Southeast Asia, where the weather just varies from hot to hotter year round.

That said, I much prefer a drier climate, humidity sucks.

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »

Lack of quality sunshine? I think you're weather-spoiled ;) One of the very few things I love about Korea is how much sun there is. But then, I'm from New England and upstate NY.... :P

I lived in Rochester, NY for a year... yeah, that didn't last long. Grew up in sunny California, so I like my sun. I don't mind rain or humidity, but this endless gray yuck in Korea drives me crazy.

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 10:54:04 am »
I like it when it snows in the winter, but is not like 15 below zero, and tolerable in the summer or around 25-30 in the summer. No humidity, but i am originally from the west coast of America, so im not use to humidity.

• Warra
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 08:10:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 11:18:15 am »
The people who voted for hot and humid must surely be joking...

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 11:29:24 am »
No, I'm not.

I grew up in it and love it. Love the chill atmosphere it brings. Swinging your arms slowly walking down the street. Chilling in the shade talking with friends drinking some cold beers. My lungs love the humidity. Love "escaping it" by swimming in the river/pool. When it's hot, people have to slow down and life becomes better and more "real", none of this Balibali ultra-productive stuff you see over here.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 12:50:47 pm »
No, I'm not.

I grew up in it and love it. Love the chill atmosphere it brings. Swinging your arms slowly walking down the street. Chilling in the shade talking with friends drinking some cold beers. My lungs love the humidity. Love "escaping it" by swimming in the river/pool. When it's hot, people have to slow down and life becomes better and more "real", none of this Balibali ultra-productive stuff you see over here.

Yeah, I also sincerely enjoy it--I did vote for warm-arid because I love deserts/Mediterranean climates (and food!), but warm-humid is also pretty great.  There is this real freedom of movement to that type of weather, or something, that I really like.  And temporarily "escaping" certain types of weather are what makes them so enjoyable--I do like cold and snow sometimes, if I can stay indoors and drink coffee in front of a fire.  Having to wait for public transit in freezing temps, and hang out in poorly-heated buildings sort of zaps the fun out of it. 

Likewise, being able to pop into an air-conditioned convenience store for a cold drink feels great in hot, humid weather.  Maybe if I were living in a part of the world without ANY air conditioning, anywhere, I'd find it oppressive, but that's hardly the case in Korea--they do a much "better" job of air-conditioning than heating, IMO, even though I could personally do with a little less aircon in the summer and a little better central heating in winter. 

It's interesting how people seem to tolerate different temperature extremes so differently, though.  In Korea, you definitely get both extremes.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:59:06 pm by woman-king »

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 01:05:54 pm »
I have always found it interesting how, worldwide, there are many, many more snowbirds than there are... sunbirds (?). I wouldn't mind escaping to Alert or to northern Russia this summer.

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 01:08:41 pm »
I have always found it interesting how, worldwide, there are many, many more snowbirds than there are... sunbirds (?). I wouldn't mind escaping to Alert or to northern Russia this summer.

Really?  You mean of like the people you know personally, or what?  I feel like most people I know would prefer tropical to freezing; people who love snow usually love it for sports-related reasons and because it's beautiful, but don't really want to have to deal with it on a daily basis for several months at a time. 

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 02:45:31 pm »

Really?  You mean of like the people you know personally, or what?  I feel like most people I know would prefer tropical to freezing; people who love snow usually love it for sports-related reasons and because it's beautiful, but don't really want to have to deal with it on a daily basis for several months at a time.

Just in a general sense. People love to escape the cold and head  to the tropics (which is fine and dandy, I fancy it myself from time to time) during the winter months but I don't hear of many people escaping the heat and heading north during the summer. I suppose a lot less people prefer the cold (given the poll) but, every now and then I just think ~this is disgustingly hot~ and desire nothing more but to freeze my butt of in a snow fort.

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 03:41:38 pm »
I like summer but the mosquitoes are a little annoying!

• cowboy7
  • Super Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 01:47:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 01:08:27 pm »
San Diego weather FTW.