Read 3236 times

Daegu Breakdown
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:22:43 am »
Hey,

Looking for someone that can breakdown Daegu for me. As in the different areas so I can get a sense of potential places to seek / avoid if I come to Daegu.

Thanks

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: Daegu Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:53 am »
Check out galbijim.com and search for Daegu.  It's a little out of date, but it's mostly useful information.  Daegu is a nice city to explore as most of the amenities are in the centre, not so spread out as in Seoul or Busan.

There are three subway stations in the centre.  Banwoldang is at the southern end, and is the intersection of the two subway lines, so it's easy to get to from anywhere on the subway system.  Jungangro is the next stop north on line 1, and is pretty much in the centre of the city.  After that there is Daegu Station, which is at the northern end of the city centre.  All of these stations are within walking distance of each other, so it doesn't really matter where you get off.

If there is something specific you are looking for then please say so.  Someone will know where to find it.

• Aventine
  • Adventurer

• March 26, 2011, 02:38:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:32:57 pm »
You'll probably be working in one of the major hagwon areas (Beomeo, Sangin, Siji) if you choose to go that route.  Beomeo is the most wealthy of them and closest to downtown. 

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:08:32 am »
Lonelyplanet.com is a good place to check too.

Here's a little on Daegu that I pulled from the site, hope this helps!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:16:20 am »
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/south-korea/gyeongsangbuk-do/daegu

Lol, sorry about that, forgot to post the link.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:30 am »
And if you have any interest in dancing bachata in daegu (just a fishy feeling I had), search for the group Salsa for Foreigners in Daegu!

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:10:13 am »
Daegu is the largest municipal prefecture in Korea geographically - larger even than Seoul. You can be "in Daegu" and yet be 30 minutes by bus from the city centre and and areas where foreigners tend to like to hang out. Just be sure to get the exact locations of where you'll be working and living. 

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »
Thanks guys.

If I decide to come to Korea around August Ill just take the best position I can find in either Daegu, Seoul, and Busan.

Although the number of military people around Daegu and its nightlife being fairly concentrated with few options is of slight concern! lol

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:23:41 am »
As it stands now, military has to be safely in bed by 1am, and while the central dt area is where people tend to meet up (it's in the center!), there are 2 thriving university areas and other places to hang out. Plus, if you're hagwon you will likely find a gig in one of the 2 or 3 areas chock full of foreigner hagwons, so those folks will have their own sneaky places.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:57:25 am »
As it stands now, military has to be safely in bed by 1am, and while the central dt area is where people tend to meet up (it's in the center!), there are 2 thriving university areas and other places to hang out. Plus, if you're hagwon you will likely find a gig in one of the 2 or 3 areas chock full of foreigner hagwons, so those folks will have their own sneaky places.

Thats awesome to hear!

Dealing with rude drunk obnoxious GI's is a pain.