Read 1671 times

• wtoddm
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2011, 02:09:18 pm
    • Jinju, Gyeongsamnam-do South Korea
The site is much more cumbersome to navigate when I want to find interesting or fun conversations to join.
Sure "off topic" works... but well, I don't particularly see that as any sort of improvement. Anyone want to justify the dismissal of the General Discussion thread?
"Our doubts are traitors,
And makes us lose the good we oft might win,
By fearing to attempt." - Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
Re: What's the point of removing the General Discussion thread?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:30:11 am »
It wasn't removed, just renamed: General became Off-Topic, and Korea-related posts went to Life in Korea.  The way I see it, it was done to help keep things in proper forums, and we're actively trying to move and merge threads so they're in logical places.  Korea-related stuff goes in Life In Korea now, and everything else that doesn't fit one of the forums (travel, Korean life, Korean language, teaching, lesson plans, etc.) goes in Off-Topic.  I don't see how it makes it harder to find interesting conversations . . . you'd just have to check two boards (LiK and Off-Topic) instead of just General Discussion. 
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/

• wtoddm
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2011, 02:09:18 pm
    • Jinju, Gyeongsamnam-do South Korea
Re: What's the point of removing the General Discussion thread?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:57:31 am »
Yeah, I was thinking about this a bit more after I wrote that, and I guess my only qualm is the negative connotation of the word off-topic. I guess if it was "general discussions" in the same organizational pattern, I wouldn't think much about it.  :)
All in all, waygook.org is a great community and forum, and I just was resistant to change before the morning coffee kicked in.
"Our doubts are traitors,
And makes us lose the good we oft might win,
By fearing to attempt." - Shakespeare, Measure for Measure