Read 6645 times

• debranm
  • Newgookin

• April 09, 2012, 02:18:02 pm
    • Seoul
Is credit card Carl legit?
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:09 pm »
I read a post about a guy named Carl (010-4073-7253 / carlrhee@naver.com) that you contact to get a credit card in Korea.

Anyone use him before? Is he legit and good?

Post in question -> http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,8813.msg186908.html#msg186908

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: Is credit card Carl legit?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:53:11 pm »
Just go to a bank, that is the safest. Too many dodgy characters around, not saying he is because I have never heard of him, but play safe.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• debranm
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:56:52 pm »
Just go to a bank, that is the safest. Too many dodgy characters around, not saying he is because I have never heard of him, but play safe.

Does it really matter what credit card you get? I could care less about the "rewards".

• thedsr
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 07:19:43 pm
    • Gimpo
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 03:23:43 pm »

Does it really matter what credit card you get? I could care less about the "rewards".

I don't think they mentioned anything about rewards in that statement.  I think they are simply saying, you would have to be an idiot to give all your banking information to someone named "Carl" that you know nothing about. 

Furthermore, you have two posts on Waygook, might you be trolling?  Or could you actually be this "Carl" character trying to stir up some business?

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 03:25:51 pm »

In which case, walk into your bank, take a ticket, watch for your number, walk up to the appropriate teller and, with a steady gaze, say the words, "I'd like a credit card please."
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• gangwon
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 24, 2011, 08:07:24 am
    • Gangwon Do
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 03:30:17 pm »

In which case, walk into your bank, take a ticket, watch for your number, walk up to the appropriate teller and, with a steady gaze, say the words, "I'd like a credit card please."

And watch them say they don't give credit cards to foreigners. If the OP only has two posts, it's quite likely they're new here and banks are very unlikely to give you a credit card in Korea without any history. Someone here once posted about their husband who worked for KB, I called him and he helped me get one, but I had to put the equivalent of my limit in a savings account as deposit.

• debranm
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 03:36:28 pm »

And watch them say they don't give credit cards to foreigners. If the OP only has two posts, it's quite likely they're new here and banks are very unlikely to give you a credit card in Korea without any history. Someone here once posted about their husband who worked for KB, I called him and he helped me get one, but I had to put the equivalent of my limit in a savings account as deposit.

Yes. I have an E2 visa, and my bank doesn't give credit cards to people with an E2 visa. I don't speak Korean, and I don't want to bug my co-teacher anymore, so I want a solution that I can accomplish on my own.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:49:31 pm »

Yeah, the equivalent of your limit in a savings account is a new one for me. Generally, it's just people (tellers) who don't know what they're doing as they have never sorted a credit card out for a foreigner before. The first reaction is usually, "No," or, "That's impossible," in Korea when someone doesn't know what they're doing - like the time I asked if I could cancel my after school classes based on the fact that only 5 out of 20 students ever turned up. "That's impossible," my co-teacher tells me and after I speak to the right guy, they are cancelled the following week.

Insist and play the waiting game. If you want a credit card in Korea, you can get one. It might be a little more hassle than in your home country but then it would be the same for an immigrant in your country on a one year visa too so that should be no surprise.

I'd be a bit suspicious of Carl and what he gets out of the exchange. Especially when it's something that you can sort out for yourself with varying degrees of ease - depending on the experience/knowledge of your bankers.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:56:11 pm »
Go to KEB, they give foreigners credit cards, I have one.

They have a great English service. It may be because you are new that you will have to make some sort of deposit (fair enough) but you can get one for sure.  They used to be a lot more sticky than they are now, I know I had to be here a year before they would give me one, but if you have your ducks in a row then there is not reason why you cannot get one.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Aventine
  • Adventurer

• March 26, 2011, 02:38:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 07:49:02 pm »
Carl is legit. He helped me get an unsecured KEB card back in 2008.  That was relatively unheard then and still is now.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 10:35:39 pm »
I'm wondering why people have such a need/desire for a credit card.

• korr
  • Expert Waygook

• July 16, 2009, 12:35:46 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 07:04:23 am »
OP, if you want a credit card and you're worried about going through someone you don't know, maybe try to get a check card instead? It works like a debit card back in the US and it's very easy to get. I got one with Nonghyup after only being here a couple months.

If you get a BC card (a card with the red circle and "BC" on it), you can buy things online. You have to jump through a couple hoops, but honestly, in Korea you have to jump through hoops to buy ANYTHING over the internet.

If you really want a credit card, I'd go through KEB like someone else suggested. I don't have any personal experience with them, but my friends have used them and really like them.

• jpaek
  • Adventurer

• September 03, 2010, 08:37:49 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 07:44:05 am »
Not sure if getting a credit card is feasible for any foreigner who has been here for only 1-3 years. Recent changes at KEB and Shinhan have made the standards for foreign applicants much higher: Salary must be substantially higher (I think 3mil won per month), Property Ownership, or substantial savings (1 year of half my paychecks from a middle school did not cut it). The changes were apparently finalized in March. I applied and was denied.

International Cheque Card is your best bet if you're just looking for online purchases at foreign merchants. For a true credit card, you're better off trying to get one from back home.

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 07:49:27 am »

The only reason I have one is because I can use it online... something that's virtually impossible with korean check cards.  Some people know how to use a credit card properly  ;)  As soon as I purchase something online with my card I clear the transaction on my internet banking. 

• p33k
  • Veteran

• April 28, 2010, 01:57:59 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 07:56:52 am »
About 5 years ago when I was at a hagwon nobody would give me a credit card.  2 years ago I changed to a public school but then KEB said I need to be at the school for 2 years.  So last year I went in after signing my second contract and had a credit card by the end of the week.  It is handy for making purchases online! 

Never heard of credit card Carl... sounds shady!

• amoonbot
  • Veteran

• November 15, 2010, 08:59:54 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:14 am »
If you have worked at least one year at a public school, you can get a Lotte Credit Card without any deposit. I know sometimes if the people are nice, they'll let you get one as long as you work at a public school.

• jpaek
  • Adventurer

• September 03, 2010, 08:37:49 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:54:58 am »
If you have worked at least one year at a public school, you can get a Lotte Credit Card without any deposit. I know sometimes if the people are nice, they'll let you get one as long as you work at a public school.

When was this? I'm pretty sure this has been changed.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 10:19:28 am »
My mate started March 1st and has his credit card with NH Bank already, no security deposit required. I got mine a year ago when I first started, same story.

Perhaps banks in small rural areas are more trusting.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• schuettl
  • Adventurer

• October 27, 2010, 08:51:09 am
    • Wonju, Gangwon-do
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 11:46:59 am »
I have gotten a credit card from Carl.  I heard about him from someone who worked in the same area as me and others in the area had used him to get a credit card as well.  I met him in Seoul and he helped me fill out a very legitimate looking credit card application and gave me a ton of brochures and info to take with me about my card.  Maybe 10 days later I got the card in the mail.  It's a really fancy visa travel card and I can use it on practically anything.  Though in Korea, credit cards work differently.  Unless you work out a deal with the vendor, everything you charge to the card needs to be paid when the bill is due at the end of the month (though I use a bank account only for the credit card and just put money in when I have it).  You can't pay things off over many months unless you buy lots of stuff at like Shinsegae and ask the sales clerk there to have them charge your card in installments.  He still writes me emails and lets me know where he's at so I can contact him and he's not shady at all.  That being said, I'd probably have no idea if he was like selling my identity or something - but I've had the card for about a year now with no sign of anything bad at all.  I'd say go for it with Carl. 

• Sticks
  • Veteran

• May 11, 2011, 03:27:45 pm
    • Cheonan/Ansan, Korea
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 12:04:22 pm »
Online shopping. Korean check cards will not work on non-Korean shopping websites, credit cards will. It's also easier to just do every transaction with a credit card and pay it off every month, which is how Korean credit cards seem to work anyway.

Not sure if getting a credit card is feasible for any foreigner who has been here for only 1-3 years. Recent changes at KEB and Shinhan have made the standards for foreign applicants much higher: Salary must be substantially higher (I think 3mil won per month), Property Ownership, or substantial savings (1 year of half my paychecks from a middle school did not cut it). The changes were apparently finalized in March. I applied and was denied.

International Cheque Card is your best bet if you're just looking for online purchases at foreign merchants. For a true credit card, you're better off trying to get one from back home.
Find another branch (possibly one that caters to expats) and apply again. I applied and got my KEB global card in March. They just needed a minimum 1,000,000 won security deposit before they'd issue me one. Any balance on the card is paid off from your savings account, if there's nothing in your savings account i'd assume it'll draw the funds from the deposit. I can also use mine as a transit card, although I don't see any transit card transactions on my online statements yet, i'm assuming they'll all aggregate into a large sum at the end of the billing period.