« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:41:30 am »
you gotta ask the locals

• Za
  • Adventurer

• June 29, 2010, 02:40:37 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Pepper spray
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:44:15 am »
I hear its illegal in Korea. I could be wrong. Sorry to hear about your family.

• w4z
  • Veteran

• November 30, 2010, 10:12:55 am
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:59:27 am »
Why does this thread come up every few month?
Get a whistle, they are legal.

If you were getting raped, would you rather blow a useless whistle or spray someone in the face with pepper spray?

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:25:18 am »
I don't know if you have already looked into this or not, but self-defense courses geared towards women are hugely valuable in terms of avoiding sexual violence. I used to volunteer with one program and it's amazing how much of the self-defense is preventing even getting into circumstances where you would need to use pepper spray.

Having said that, might be tricky finding something in Korea that caters to English speakers. Good luck!

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:45:37 am »
Why not get a tazer instead? Yeah they're all illegal but if you're being attacked, just use it and that guy will drop. Having to leave Korea b/c you broke a stupid law is much better than not having to leave and getting raped.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:39:53 am »
The spray bottles are legal the gas guns are not. You can get it online for 20,000-40,000won. Have your co-teacher (or korean speaking friend) help if you can't read Korean.

• klin062
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2011, 02:28:48 pm
    • Seongnam
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:51:12 am »
Yea I always just kinda ignored all the pepper spray talk, but the other night I was coming out of the subway and noticed someone was following me way too close.  As I went up the stairs he tried to put his hand up my skirt.  I yelled at him and moved to the other side of the stairway but he continued to follow me.  It really freaked me out and I was literally running up the stairs to get away from him.  Luckily there were people out on the street when I got out of the subway and my yelling at the creepy guy got their attention so he backed off.  But if they hadn't been there then I don't want to think about what might have happened.  I would have definately been glad of pepper spray right then. 
Don't make light of the issue going on about unrealistic things like getting a taser.  Who's going to carry that around.  How would you feel if your g/f or a female friend were violated.  It happens.

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:30:47 am »
where can i get pepper spray in Korea? My family has alre
ady had experience of rape....111///. not agian

I saw it on a Korean movie once. The guy sprayed it in his mouth because he thought it was breath spray.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 11:39:48 am »
How is a taser unrealistic? What? Please, you don't know what you're talking about. A lot of girls carry tasers in the US. One of my coworkers would bring one to work b/c we worked with another crazy b@# who would go insane sometimes. Maybe you always lived in the suburbs but life is different in other areas. A taser is, realistically, a very good choice. I'm getting one for my lady as soon as next paycheck comes in.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• plchron
  • Super Waygook

• July 20, 2011, 10:24:04 am
    • Ulsan
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:52:58 am »
go to your local home supply store. they usually have a wide array of knives, from combat to switch blades, to big folding pocket knives. Remember to stab the soft spots and twist (like in that movie 'face off') eyes, balls, throat, stomach, maybe thighs.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 12:15:27 pm »
go to your local home supply store. they usually have a wide array of knives, from combat to switch blades, to big folding pocket knives. Remember to stab the soft spots and twist (like in that movie 'face off') eyes, balls, throat, stomach, maybe thighs.
I can't really tell if you're joking or not but that isn't the best choice.  Sure, a would be rapist will definitely deserve it but it will just get you in heaps more trouble.  At least with pepper spray you'll be able to disable the attacker without leaving any serious injuries.  I guarantee if you stab someone you're gonna be in more trouble than the attacker.

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 12:26:24 pm »

I would seriously advise against using any kind of knives for self defense unless highly trained in doing so. Suddenly you have introduced a blade into the situation, which your attacker may end up being able to use on you.