Read 3151 times

• climber
  • Super Waygook

• January 02, 2011, 06:52:36 pm
    • Ilsan
Don't call back unknown phone numbers!
« on: April 04, 2012, 02:29:19 pm »
I was just told this today by my co-teacher, so if you have conflicting information, please let me know.

She said that there is a type of spam that calls you, then when you return the call it charges you money. I don't know how this works, but I guess it is fairly common.

• leejs
  • Veteran

• March 29, 2011, 07:28:55 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Don't call back unknown phone numbers!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 02:32:33 pm »
I have a pretty easy way to deal with any calls that might be spam. If I don't hear English, it's not important.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »
Yeah my wife showed me one specific number that the police have warned people about.  I guess if you answer the call you will be billed 40,000 won.  I don't know exactly how it works but she told me not to answer the phone if I don't know the number.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:15:02 pm »
Yeah my wife showed me one specific number that the police have warned people about.  I guess if you answer the call you will be billed 40,000 won.  I don't know exactly how it works but she told me not to answer the phone if I don't know the number.

Do you have a link for that?  If it's important there should be something about it on the web.  I'd hate to answer the phone this way and be billed.

• climber
  • Super Waygook

• Ilsan
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:17:52 pm »
I have a pretty easy way to deal with any calls that might be spam. If I don't hear English, it's not important.

I am talking about returning phone calls that I missed. If you happen to miss a call and call it back, they might charge you.

• climber
  • Super Waygook

• Ilsan
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:21:03 pm »

I was talking about returning phone calls that I missed, but I guess I should not answer them either.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:16:04 pm »

Do you have a link for that?  If it's important there should be something about it on the web.  I'd hate to answer the phone this way and be billed.
No I don't have a link.  She got a message through Kakao.  I questioned her as to how it's possible to be billed simply for answering the phone because I thought it was just a hoax.  She said the police actually sent a warning about it (in which case they people probably changed the number anyway) and she's sure it's legit.  If that's the case I'm also sure you'd be able to find a Korean site.  When she gets home from work I'll ask her what the number is and post it, I think it ended in 4060.  I have my doubts but just shared because this is pretty common here.  Certainly with calling the numbers back.  I never even bother now.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:18:03 pm »

No I don't have a link.  She got a message through Kakao.  I questioned her as to how it's possible to be billed simply for answering the phone because I thought it was just a hoax.  She said the police actually sent a warning about it (in which case they people probably changed the number anyway) and she's sure it's legit.  If that's the case I'm also sure you'd be able to find a Korean site.  When she gets home from work I'll ask her what the number is and post it, I think it ended in 4060.  I have my doubts but just shared because this is pretty common here.  Certainly with calling the numbers back.  I never even bother now.

It's BS.  It's a hoax, like chain letters used to be.  Sharing it perpetuates the hoax.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:10:34 pm »
Don't call 070 prefix numbers.  They can charge you for calling them like a charge/min pay call.

I get those 'one ring' calls often, and I just ignore them.

MC

• lotte world
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:32:43 pm »
Don't call 070 prefix numbers.  They can charge you for calling them like a charge/min pay call.

I get those 'one ring' calls often, and I just ignore them.

MC

070 are VoIP phones.  All of the phones in my school have an 070 number (which I see when they call me.)

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:08:53 pm »
Is this just for cellphones or landlines as well? 

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 08:59:54 am »

It's BS.  It's a hoax, like chain letters used to be.  Sharing it perpetuates the hoax.
Yeah my first thought was that it was a hoax.  I personally wouldn't worry about it too much but they are very creative here when it comes to scams.  Anything is possible.

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:37 am »
I read an article before about it, and the telecommunications watchdog trying to crack down on it. It uses some forwarding service to China or something...
Until next time, I will speak to you next time.