Read 2172 times

Do you think they talk behind your back?
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:24:07 pm »
Just my paranoia or maybe some truth but I sort of get this feeling my school (staff) are all in on some information about me that I'm not aware of yet, mainly, that I won't be getting renewed in September.  Now it's not confirmed yet, but a lot of my students keep asking me if I'm going back to my country in September.  I told them I don't know, but kids from all different grades keep asking me "if" I'm leaving at the end of the semester.  It's as if though they got news from maybe their teachers that I am leaving or I am not gonna be here come September.

Now I have a pretty good relationship with my school and have no problems (that I'm aware of) and most of the students tell me they want me to stay longer and stuff like that, but I was aware a year ago that due to budget cuts, I might not get renewed for a 3rd year.

Now, is it quite common in Korean schools or korean culture to openly discuss a fellow co-worker/staff members employment status or do you think a korean school and korean teachers would find that unprofessional and not even go there (therefore I'm just paranoid) or is it actually quite common for them to already throw around sensitive and personal information like this to all the staff (except me) and then even to their homeroom class students.

Once again, I love my school, the students and staff, and they all seem to like me a lot too, but I was already thinking of possibly going back home anyways after this contract, but I never told anyone.  It just seems odd to me that so many students all of a sudden in the past 2-3 weeks (we just started the new school semester so odd they are asking so soon?) have been asking me this specific and direct question as if they "heard" I was getting replaced OR I was leaving.

What do you think?                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:26:50 pm by calvin0416 »
In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Do you think they talk behind your back?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:31:35 pm »
Could be that they are used to having their NETs leave and that's why the kids are asking. Some of them may never have had the same NET for longer than 2 years.

This is something that you just have to ignore because you don't know either way what's been/being said.

Make some contingency plan outlines and decide whether, if offered to re-sign tomorrow, or not you would actually re-sign. If you want to re-sign, make it known to students and teachers alike, all over the school. Try to let the principal or VP know during a school outing/dinner too. Write it in a letter to your managing co-teacher.

Let the paranoia slide though. You might be right and you might be wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if there has been a miscommunication somewhere so just make sure that, if you want to re-sign, everybody knows it!
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:32:44 pm »
Great advice! Thanks.
In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:53:04 pm »
I've said in another thread, the thing I hate most is when they "talk behind my back" right infront of my face. They're talking about me, thinking I can't understand, while they are standing right infront of me.
That's the worst.
I think that's from a Seinfeld episode. "They're talking behind your back right infront of your face!"

• BBetz1985
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2010, 02:07:45 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »
If you are curious or unsure, definitely ask your school. They will probably have no problem letting you know about your situation if they know. Let them know that if you will not be returning to your school that you want to look for more options and that the more notice you have the better it is for you.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27:12 pm »
Anybody who has been in Korea for awhile knows that they are always talking about us. And it is usually right in front of you, not behind your back. Hell, your wardrobe gets critiqued here on a daily basis.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:37:19 pm »
You know how the kids are. Sometimes they form theories and get talking amongst themselves. It's nearly every month there's one or another subject it seems like every single class is asking me about all in a row. Do I really live alone, or did my family come here with me? Am I married? Some kid saw me reading something in Korean -- do I speak Korean or not? It could've started as a small conversation between the kids, and spread from there. One of them may have said foreign teachers have to leave after a certain amount of time, and another may have said, nuh uh I had one for X years, and there you have it: a debate. They don't have a lot to gossip about during the day, so they get going on all kinds of stuff.

I doubt your coworkers would have said anything to the kids (to each other, slightly more likely), but as flasyb said, you have no way of knowing, so it's probably not worth stressing over. Plan for the worst; hope for the best. Right?

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:20:05 am »
I've said in another thread, the thing I hate most is when they "talk behind my back" right infront of my face. They're talking about me, thinking I can't understand, while they are standing right infront of me.
That's the worst.

Well, why not just make it clear to them that you DO understand every word they're saying? No need to be rude or confrontational about it, but just simply join in the conversation they're having in Korean.

By doing this, you'd be doing them a favour, because they'd realise you understand what they're saying and would seek to avoid embarrassing themselves in the future. And more importantly, you'd be doing yourself a favour, because something that's irritated you intensely will be less likely to happen again.