Read 23445 times

• juskajo
  • Veteran

• October 02, 2010, 09:28:20 am
    • Asan
Re: A Christmas Story movie and subtitles
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 10:52:15 am »
people ask about korean subs to this movie every year.  they don't exist, or somebody would've found them by now.

if somebody were to WRITE subs for this movie, he/she would be a hero to the waygook community for generations to come and would never have to buy a drink again.

Re: A Christmas Story movie and subtitles
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 09:28:39 am »
bah yeah...just tried this the subs are all in ENGLISH...thanks for telling us >=(....

good thing i had back up lessons.

Had anyone tried showing "The Snowman" or "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"?
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 10:00:51 am »
If so, how did it go over with your students?

I'd like to show The Snowman because it is one of my favorite animations. However, I fear that the students might not have the attention spans to quiet down and appreciate its subtlety.

I'd be okay with showing the old Grinch cartoon too, except I wonder if the language would make it too difficult to understand the plot.

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, or experiences they'd like to share? Or, does anyone have any good relevant materials for these two short films?

• sambelina78
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 07:16:20 pm
    • Haenam-eup, Jeollanam-do
Re: Had anyone tried showing "The Snowman" or "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"?
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 11:48:39 am »
Hello actualstarfish

I showed The Snowman last year and a few times this year too - i also LOVE the movie. I have some questions and an activity to accompany it.... would love to hear any other ideas you have on it.
Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

For $5 off your first order use this code LEP805

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 11:56:03 am »
Burndog blogs on using "The Snowman" in class annually complete with lesson plan overviews. The man is a genius. He's got me well convinced that if I ever need to plan all three thirds of a kampeu, that it'd be incomplete without it. Plus, Bowie: you freaky man, you. I'd link Burndog's blog but as its NSFW its better you just Google it along with "The Snowman" or sift through his posts here.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• sambelina78
  • Veteran

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 11:59:06 am »
okay, so here are my comprehension questions and another activity - how to build a snowman
Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 01:22:06 pm »
I found some materials on the EFLclassroom website earlier today:

http://community.eflclassroom.com/video/the-snowman

But I wonder how well those activities would work with a class full of rowdy middle schoolers who just finished their finals.

When I taught Elementary last year, I showed it to my 4th grade after school class and they seemed generally interested in the movie and the activities I made. They even sang the "Walking in the Air" song with me. I'm just unsure of how my middle school students will react (especially the grade 2s from hell)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:25:51 pm by actualstarfish »

• sambelina78
  • Veteran

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 01:57:29 pm »
I tried to also get my second grade middle schoolers to sing Walking in the Air - I gave them all lyrics. told them how famous the song was in the UK when the movie first came out, how much of a cherished Christmas memory it was for me... and got nothing!! They just stared blankly at the screen!!

Haha!! However, apart from the song, they enjoyed the lesson and the movie. Even the boys!!!

• Jayne
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2011, 12:29:29 pm
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 02:10:19 pm »
Although I too love the movie, I could see The Snowman being risky with my students, especially after exams.

But I did the Grinch with my 1st grade MS this week. So far, it is going over pretty well! I first tell them the story of the Grinch (found on here posted by someone else, thank you ^^) Then we listen to the Grinch song, which they have loved so far! That leaves me with 5-10 minutes of class left in which I show them the new movie with Jim Carrey. I just show them a clip, around the 1 hour mark, where the song begins and he starts making his sleigh to steal Christmas, since this is the part we talked about in class.

But, if you wanna do the whole movie instead of the song, I'm sure you can pull it off. I would just present the story of the Grinch to them. Maybe read it on powerpoint or something and make sure they know Dr. Seuss is about rhyming and silly words so they understand that aspect. Then show them the original version! :)

good luck!

• jwnyy
  • Explorer

• December 15, 2011, 07:33:20 am
    • Gyeongju
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 08:06:50 am »
Thanks, actualstarfish! It will help alot! ^_^

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 08:07:23 am »
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think I'm gonna show The Snowman to my 1st graders on Monday and see how it goes. I will give a short speech before the movie telling them the importance of the movie and asking them to do their best to appreciate it. Or, if not, at least try not to bother the students who are interested in it.

If The Snowman bombs then I will throw together a Grinch lesson for the old 1966 cartoon. I'll let you all know how things went.

By the way, if any of you are also big fans of The Snowman, I'd highly recommend watching another short animated film by the same director (Dianne Jackson) called "Granpa."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:11:38 am by actualstarfish »

• auster
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2011, 06:05:42 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 09:03:06 am »
I showed it to MS 2nd grade boys, they seemed to like it. I think the animation style, the magic of the story and, of course, the famous song in the middle part interested them. I recommend showing the DVD or doing what a friend* did and download the version form P$rate Bay (other file sharing websites are available) because the visual quality of the YouTube version is poor. I'm disappointed my version as an intro by Santa voiced by Mel Smith rather then the version with the Thin White Duke at the beginning.

*I would 'never' advocate illegal file sharing, err, umm.

• ktrzm
  • Waygookin

• June 29, 2010, 09:30:35 am
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 11:36:04 am »
I was thinking of using the grinch this year, change it up a bit since I haven't taught it yet. But I forgot about the snowman. Good tip. Decisions decisions.

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 03:11:20 pm »
okay, so here are my comprehension questions and another activity - how to build a snowman

Hey sambelina. How did you run the "How to make a snowman" activity? Was it a speed game in groups? I'm trying to think of something to do related to The Snowman but I don't want to have my kids do worksheets the week before winter break. They would literally rip them apart. I think an activity like this would be the best substitute

Re: Christmas Movie Ideas?
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 05:54:51 pm »
I soooo wanted to show my kids National Lampoon's Christmas vacation, as it's a family tradition, but I can't find the Korean subtitles for it.

I'm starting to believe it doesn't exist, which is such a shame. Has anyone found it?

• K
  • Super Waygook

• November 03, 2010, 05:38:27 pm
    • SK
Re: Christmas Movie Ideas?
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 07:51:49 am »
I soooo wanted to show my kids National Lampoon's Christmas vacation, as it's a family tradition, but I can't find the Korean subtitles for it.

I'm starting to believe it doesn't exist, which is such a shame. Has anyone found it?

I don't think they exist. I spent SO much time searching in English and Korean. I tried so many sites. I don't think it exists. Sorry. I settled for English in the end. I guess you could always make your own subs if you have the time and patience.. haha. I was thinking of editing the movie (taking out some scenes that aren't appropriate and making it shorter for class) and then adding subtitles, but I'm running short on time. If I do, I'll PM you ASAP.

• scottab123
  • Adventurer

• December 20, 2011, 10:21:53 am
    • Republic of Korea
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 09:29:41 am »
See this thread for ideas and materials relating to the 1966 animated version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,16538.msg131277.html#msg131277

Enjoy!

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 01:27:04 pm »
I showed How the Grinch Sole Christmas... it was pretty hit or miss.

• scottab123
  • Adventurer

• December 20, 2011, 10:21:53 am
    • Republic of Korea
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 02:53:56 pm »
I showed How the Grinch Sole Christmas... it was pretty hit or miss.

Hm, I'd be interested to know how you used the film.

I spend about five minutes introducing the film and the characters, then watch the film.  It's short, about 25 minutes.  It's old, but it's zaney enough to interest most students.

After that, I play a quick trivia game for candy prizes.  And finally I play a game in which a few students are "The Grinch" and steal the other student's gifts.  Check my earlier post for a link to the lesson materials.

It's been going over pretty well for my middle school students.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:49:41 am by scottab123 »

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2011, 07:47:41 am »
I showed the Grinch, but to only my higher level classes. I couldn't find Korean subtitles, but the higher levels did really well with the English subs. I gave a Christmas introduction where I introduced the verbs; decorate and feast (also a noun) as well as other Xmas vocabulary; stocking, christmas tree, ornaments, a Grinch, etc.
  I made a Movie Scavenger hunt worksheet and told my students that they must find the answers during the video. I awarded completed worksheets with 3 stickers, so my students were pretty keen on finding those answers and following the movie. I helped a bit by writing the sentences they needed with the answer blanked out on the blackboard.
  The kids loved the dog Max, and the scenes of the Grinch stealing things and knocking down the ornaments like a pool shot!

I showed my lower levels 'Shrek the Halls' and also made a Scavenger Hunt worksheet. I will attach that as well.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and can spread the theme of Family and Love without presents to all your students!