Read 1804 times

Winter Camp Contracts
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:57:18 am »
I have been instructed I am to teach a winter camp and to prepare 27 hours of material. I am the main teacher and the co-teacher is the "assistant". Further I will not be paid extra for this camp as it is part of my main duties.   I knew about the camp and have been preparing for it, however I did not realize it was 27 hours and there would be no "extra" pay. I need to review my contract, but am curious if this is the case for anyone else?

• Koradian
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• October 08, 2010, 10:29:15 am
    • South Korea
Re: Winter Camp Contracts
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:07 am »
FYI: I am doing two hours a day for two weeks over the first two weeks (for a total of 20 hours) of the winter vacation period. I am teaching alone but I'm am being compensated with an hourly wage (30 000won) even though they are during regular school hours.

• dchrzano
  • Veteran

• September 12, 2010, 06:41:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:05:14 am »
Anything over 22 hours a week is overtime. For SMOE/ EPIK, check your contract. If this is the case just show your principle/ school this and you should receive the extra pay. I will be teaching about 20 hours a week, which is similar to what other teachers have (4 Periods a day/ 5 days a week).
De

• shhowse
  • Featured Contributor

• August 25, 2009, 08:49:24 am
    • Mokpo
    more
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:16:54 am »
Most contracts now state that if you are not taking your vacation days you must be working or deskwarming. Since your contract, I assume, is something like 20 hours per week, that includes school breaks in the summer and winter, you will not be paid extra for that time unless you go over your weekly hours. So should be paid for about 5 hours of overtime in that case.

It is unfortunate, to be sure. Jeollanamdo used to have a great set up where everything in the break time was paid, but no longer.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:41:02 am »
I'm doing 40 hours over two weeks, so I am not getting paid extra. This is within the regularly scheduled time they pay my salary, so it's all good IMO. Nothing unfair about it.

I have never signed a special contract for my before/after school classes, or the winter camp I am doing.

If the 27 hours is in one week, they are required to pay you 5 hours of overtime 5*20,000= 100,000 won extra. If it is not in one week, you shouldn't be paid any extra.

Hopefully you get to leave early after you finish teaching your camp. That's my hope!