Read 1853 times

• kiwigirl
  • Veteran

• May 22, 2011, 02:16:38 am
    • Ilsan, South Korea
Extension of Visa Question (Kiwi)
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »
Hi

So I just did my first extension for my visa after being here for one year, this is where you go to the immigration office so they can take your fingerprints ect.  I did that all fine and after waiting about four hours I sat down for about three minutes with the immigration person.  She checked my documents (all fine), took my fingerprints and wrote a bit on the back of my arc card and then said ok all done.

This was great - really easy.  Then I was thinking, what about my Passport, when I did the visa application in New Zealand they take your passport and when it comes back it has a visa sticker on one of the pages which says how long you can stay for.  So my question is  - does this need to be updated and if so how is it done?

I want to go home for a vacation in July and I don't want there to be any issues with my passport. 

Can someone who has gone through the process please let me know if there is anything more I need to do.  My school is a bit hopeless at this sort of stuff, especially as they mainly deal with Americans so sometimes its a bit different.

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
Re: Extension of Visa Question (Kiwi)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:13:53 am »
No worries. On the back of your ARC at the bottom should be a new expiry date. You can legally stay in the country until this date.

When you go on holiday just take your ARC with you. Immigration will check it when you leave and when you come back.

You don't need anything in your passport.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:26:58 am »
I nearly missed a flight because of this foolishness. Back in 2009 I had renewed once and went back to Invercargill for the summer vacation. Coming back to Korea I got held up for 20 minutes at check in because I had no proof that I was actually allowed into the country, beyond an expired visa in my passport and a scribble on the back of my ARC (which means nothing to Air NZ).

I would have been kicked off the flight if I hadn't have persevered. Even the Korean rep for KAL said I wasn't legit. After a ton of ringing around (at my behest), they finally let me on the flight.

Korean immigration are totally unsympathetic to this as well. I asked them to issue me a brand new ARC with a legit date on it (at my expense), not just a scribble on the back and the guy wouldn't do it. He finally did after I persisted and some shouting (from him). It's a ridiculous situation, but last time I went home (on the same VISA as '09) I had no problems. So, in my experience, you have a 50/50 chance of being fine. Of course my problem could have been an isolated incident.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:15 am »
I did get a bit of hesitance flying out of Boston.  The agent checking me in doubted my card.  However, her manager came in and cleared it; she had seen it before.  The only other airport I've flown out of without a visa sticker in my passport is Dhaka, where they didn't check anything.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:01:39 am »

I hate leaving Auckland, same problem every time, they just dont know and they have the I'm right and your wrong mentality.

Happened to me in Auckland. I refused to get out of line. I basically just stood there and stared at the guy and he got uncomfortable and sorted it out. I don't know who he called, but it got sorted eventually. I fly out of Christchurch now anyway.

• kiwigirl
  • Veteran

• May 22, 2011, 02:16:38 am
    • Ilsan, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:13:43 pm »
Hey Everyone

Thanks for that, sounds like it's just going to be a hope for the best situation but that's good that I at least have everything I need.  I was also just looking at my arc card and she wrote 2014 on it instead of 2013 which I thought was a bit weird as it should be for one year.  Not sure whats going on there.

I will probably be flying in and out of Auckland as I have some friends to see there and then get a connecting flight in country.  I am going to cross my fingers that it all goes without a hitch and I get smart airline staff so I don't have any issues.  I'm not good with confrontation.