Read 6741 times

Re: How to deal with smoking students
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 11:02:53 am »
It's hard to really do anything if the school isn't willing.  My supervisor knows that some of the students smoke in the bathroom but refuses to bust them over it.  Hopefully you'll find a solution to your problem.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »
They're not allowed to smoke on school property (they do anyways), so if I catch them doing that I'll tell someone... but other than that I just discourage them without pressing the issue.  At my school they've actually put no smoking signs on the doors of the second year male bathroom... but if you go down at a certain time of day that whole area reeks.

Smoking is a much bigger part of the culture here and for my school a lot of the kids who are into it now have made their decision and the ones who aren't will probably never smoke... if it was a really good student who was doing it then I'd probably be upset but it always seems to be the problem kids from broken/poor households and I can't even get them to tell the difference between an n and an r so it's pretty unlikely that I'll be able to give them an articulate speech on why they shouldn't smoke... and they already get a speech in Korean anyways.

In some cases their parents don't care so that's a pretty big hurdle and I'm in no position to overcome it.

• cowboy7
  • Super Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 01:47:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 12:31:21 pm »
I don't smoke but I know that the smoke detectors in the dorm rooms at my university didn't go off when people smoked. 

Also, I guess I was the only one so far to think this but hiding in the room in wait to catch the kids in the act, hilarious.  You really are a true ideal-Westerner as your put it.

My elementary school had a few sixth graders last year that puffed sometimes.  I never caught them but I smelled it on them.  Some other teachers caught them a  few times. 

If you don't have that much power and your school seems apathetic, I'd say don't waste your time.  They want to be cool, just like kids in other countries.  To give you some perspective, almost all the boys will all be smokers once they get into the army. 

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 07:58:36 am »
Yes, cowboy, and then some day after they leave the military and become Adjoshi's they'll be smoking in their apartment with windows closed thinking life is pristine when suddenly some crazy half-naked waygookin comes pounding at their door demanding in simple English that they open their windows b/c it's filtering into his apartment and they'll be like: "wtf did he say?".
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »
If you catch them doing it, tell them off for smoking at school. If the smell bothers you, report it to a head teacher and maybe a notice will be put in that area. But at the end of the day, kids like to rebel. They succumb to peer pressure. If they want to smoke, they can smoke. They should just be very aware that it's actually illegal to smoke at school and they can get a hefty fine. But I wouldn't put an overt effort into finding out who is doing it. They are just being kids and breaking rules. Let them have their fun and deal with any consequences that may result from that. You cannot convince a bunch of teenagers to stop smoking, because peer pressure wins over the fear of punishment.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »
They should just be very aware that it's actually illegal to smoke at school and they can get a hefty fine.

Really? I've *never* heard of this happening or even being threatened in Korea, and I've been around the PS system for quite a while.

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 03:15:08 pm »
Apparently down in Daegu from March to May the Department of Education is inspecting schools for smoking students/teachers. Old co teacher who smoked liked a chimney told me he is being pretty careful for 2 months.

They might actually be getting serious about it.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 03:31:32 pm »
Apparently down in Daegu from March to May the Department of Education is inspecting schools for smoking students/teachers. Old co teacher who smoked liked a chimney told me he is being pretty careful for 2 months.

They might actually be getting serious about it.

That's interesting. All they'd have to do is put hidden cameras on the roofs to which access isn't blocked. What are they going to do with the students they catch? Instruct the teachers to give them "counselling"? According to this poll I started on this site: http://waygook.org/index.php?topic=22975.0 it shouldn't be very hard for them to catch a number, especially at technical and vocational HSs.

There are also breathalysers that can detect recent smoking. All they'd have to do is show up around 4PM start making the kids with coloured hair and short skirts blow. However, I'm sure they'll do no such thing because this is all a show to make it look like they're doing something. They'll fine a couple teachers and give citations to a few unlucky students and then things can go back to normal until the next "clampdown", rather like what happens with prostitution.

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 05:04:26 pm »
But at the end of the day, kids like to rebel.

That's just it, isn't it? If you come down hard on them then they're just going to learn how to hide it better… it's one of the things that makes them cool and builds bonds between them and their friends. If they've started already, then they're not going to be the type to quit just because you told them to… none of the lectures about long-term health effects or such will have much impact either because kids aren't exactly renowned for thinking long-term… and Korea doesn't really seem like the kind of country where people turn their lives around or escape their former selves very easily.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 09:57:17 am »
With all due respect, why do you care? Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else is going to make a noticeable change.

I have a male co-teacher who has to start his army stint in June and his biggest concern is that they're going to make him start smoking!
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 10:18:08 am »
With all due respect, why do you care? Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else is going to make a noticeable change.

I guess when I've known some of my students for up to five years I feel a stronger sense of responsibility. From time to time I'll see a group of students "getting it", often for smoking, and what I've noticed is that while it doesn't have a huge effect on most of them there are often one or two who straighten up afterwards. Of the three I caught the other week there are two I'm sure lit up again the next chance they got (once they got their hands on more ciggies and a lighter), but there's one I'm holding out hope for. She has a circle of both good and bad friends and if she gravitates to the former I'm pretty sure she'll stay out of trouble. The friends she makes now and attitude she leaves school with will likely make a big difference in the rest of her life. She's 17 and I started teaching her when she was 12 and her (trouble making) sister when she was 15, and I've seen their ups and downs. The younger one could really go either way, and following the troublemakers would be a good way to screw up her future.