Read 2880 times

Any new EPIK teachers not paid on time?
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:21:12 am »
Hello,  I wanted to ask if anyone else had a problem getting paid on time?  We were supposed to get paid on the 25th and other people here were paid on the Friday preceding it.  I am being told that hopefully I will get paid by the end of this month because there is some budget problem.  Which "should" be Friday or next Monday.  I've been here for 6 weeks so its a little nerve wracking and I don't really know how to deal with it. 

Re: Any new EPIK teachers not paid on time?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:35:46 am »
I've noticed my pay has been coming a few days to a week or so late the last few months. I haven't really asked about it, because it doesn't really matter to me so long as it does show up eventually, but assumed it was possibly some kind of admin error at my school. Maybe it's not, though.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:03:15 am »
It's usually your school admin office's job to pay you. Just go say hello to them, they probably forgot because they have to do it separately from the main pay roll. There are no budget issues. The school has the money to pay you. Take whatever you CT says with a grain of salt. She probably used the "budget issue" as an excuse to fob you off. The "budget issue" isn't your problem nor an excuse for them to break contract.

• amoonbot
  • Veteran

• November 15, 2010, 08:59:54 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:28:47 am »
Generally, it's the MOE/District that sends money to your school. First, check with your school accountant and see that they are aware of your pay date. And if they are aware and have been just waiting on your money then it's the MOE/district's problem.

Working at a public school, you shouldn't have to worry about your pay date. There are few exceptions when the pay is late and seeing as you have only been here for 6 weeks, it could just be a one time thing. Wait it out a little more and if it's still an issue, contact the MOE/EPIK/District.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:08:39 pm »
Your school just broke the contract. This is he biggest part of it. They paid you late. You get less interest now. They get more. They broke the contract. Feel free to also break it now. But of course they will be angry if you do.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:26:24 pm »
Your school just broke the contract. This is he biggest part of it. They paid you late. You get less interest now. They get more. They broke the contract. Feel free to also break it now. But of course they will be angry if you do.

This is a joke, right?

• plchron
  • Super Waygook

• July 20, 2011, 10:24:04 am
    • Ulsan
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »

This is a joke, right?

He actually can take them to the labor board, but it would just get him his money and then he would probably be the first person dismissed by his MOE under the '6 month probationary employee' rule.

@ OP: The bureaucracy in korea sucks. There can be so many reasons for not being paid on time. I will list them for you (and my list won't even be complete):

IN YOUR ADMIN. OFFICE

1. they forgot

2. someone is new and doesn't know their ____ from their____.

3. they didn't receive the correct bank information from you or your co teacher.

4. They paid the last person accidentally and are scrambling to get the money back (yes I have read about it happening on here or on Dave's)

At your MOE

1. They haven't sent over your pay for the quarter. (MY MOE gives my school 4 months worth of my pay and they pay me out of that, as well as paying off my rent, etc.)

2. MOE hasn't received your banking information or some other random form that should have no effect on your pay but does because this is Korea.

3. Depending on your district, they really have gotten their funds that were earmarked for you not given to them. This has been happening in the GEPIK area apparently.

There can be so many reasons, but it seems like you have a viable solution. Tell them today, if you read this before everyone goes home or tomorrow that you will contact your EPIK and/or MOE/POE representative and tell them the school has not paid you. If the money isn't in your account a day later call the reps. tell the reps. that your school is very unprofessional, you haven't been paid, etc. and you thought this would happen in japan but not korea. If the money is not in your account the next day then..... post a message on this forum and get some advice for your next step. Make it very clear to these people that getting paid on time is important to foreigners. It could be a one time error, so don't flip out yet.

If there is something fishy going on, PM me and I can teach you how to become a 'toxic employee'.