Read 1764 times

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
Does your school know when you enter/leave Korea?
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:50:01 pm »
Hi guys,

I was once told that the school knows (info gets sent to the ministry or something) every time you leave or enter Korea. Is this true?

Basically, a friend of a friend (obviously not I, that would be bad!) is thinking of calling in sick for a day or two to extend a weekend and go to Japan or Hong Kong or something...will his entry/exit info be forwarded to the school or would it be the same as calling in sick and remaining in the country?

Thanks,
T
*click*

• steven1080
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 08:57:52 am
    • South Korea
Re: Does your school know when you enter/leave Korea?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:51:01 pm »
Of course not!
 Korean immigration and customs has many more important things to do!

• giselle
  • Veteran

• December 07, 2010, 10:02:25 am
    • Yangsan
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:35 pm »
Can you (Americans) imagine a US employer &/or visa sponsor actually demanding to see the employee's passport OR giving a crap enough to actually phone immigration upon their return from a sick day?!  It's preposterous.   But alas, here we are...
This is off topic for sure, but another example of how we are basically 'owned' here...
Last year, my roommate & coworker took a sick day (she was actually quite sick) & went to the hospital, where the doctor supplied her with a 'note' to stay home that day & return to work the following day.  She called the boss & informed her, saying she'd show the 'note' when she came back to work.  The boss took a guess as to which hospital she went to, called them up & spoke to the doctor, who actually told the boss all about her illness & health problems.  The boss objected to the doctor's order, and demanded the doctor call my friend back & revoke his 'note', saying she should work that day after all.  Of course, she refused & tried to raise hell about her personal life being violated, but SURPRISE, the doctor miraculously no longer spoke English, except to say "You must work today.  Sick-uh no!"  She didn't get fired for refusing to work that day, but her last 3 months at that school were pure hell.  We thought about it & were willing to bet the boss had paid the doctor off. 

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:47:21 pm »
sejongthefabulous is spot on. The school can find out easily enough. If the relationship between the person and the school is not rosy, they may just confirm their doubts. It's only a phone call away.

My school told me (true or not) that immigration informs the schools of E2 visa holders when they exit/enter Korea beyond what would be considered holiday times. I don't believe them, but a school could certainly find out if they wanted to.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 11:28:04 am »
Can you (Americans) imagine a US employer &/or visa sponsor actually demanding to see the employee's passport OR giving a crap enough to actually phone immigration upon their return from a sick day?!  It's preposterous.   But alas, here we are...
This is off topic for sure, but another example of how we are basically 'owned' here...
Last year, my roommate & coworker took a sick day (she was actually quite sick) & went to the hospital, where the doctor supplied her with a 'note' to stay home that day & return to work the following day.  She called the boss & informed her, saying she'd show the 'note' when she came back to work.  The boss took a guess as to which hospital she went to, called them up & spoke to the doctor, who actually told the boss all about her illness & health problems.  The boss objected to the doctor's order, and demanded the doctor call my friend back & revoke his 'note', saying she should work that day after all.  Of course, she refused & tried to raise hell about her personal life being violated, but SURPRISE, the doctor miraculously no longer spoke English, except to say "You must work today.  Sick-uh no!"  She didn't get fired for refusing to work that day, but her last 3 months at that school were pure hell.  We thought about it & were willing to bet the boss had paid the doctor off.

That is just sick.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »

That is just sick.

Yep, and completely believable. A "same pie different slice" thing happened to a friend when he changed schools. A doctor he knew was very willing to supply a reference and after a chat with his old boss suddenly wouldn't supply the reference!
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin