Read 1151 times

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
Home coffee roasting. Collective bean buying anyone?
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:41:46 am »
Just got started roasting my own coffee beans at home.  (Interested_ can get a simple machine on Gmarket fr 200 bucks or take your chances and get an air popcorn popper for about 50).

Bought some beans online but_ there's a one kilogram minimum per variety. I'm really interested in trying out different varieties but can only drink so much coffee and only so fast. Any other home roasters out there wanna buy beans together? We could get a broader variety that way.....

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Home coffee roasting. Collective bean buying anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:50:15 am »
Hey if you are interested in different coffee beans I have a great contact in Norther Sumatra where you can get the world famous Luwak Coffee from.  It is a great family who runs a small business in Takengon, Indonesia.  I have been to their home and roasted the beans that I brought back to Korea with me.  They can send you just the beans and you could roast them yourself.  I saw the roasted beans selling for $100/kilogram in Indonesia at tourist spots.  I was able to get them directly from this family (at their home) for about $50/kilogram (roasted beans).  I think you could have beans sent here to Korea from them (roasted or unroasted) for about $40-50 Kilo, and this price would include shipping.  This is a really great price for this coffee, so  PM me if interested.

BTW the coffee itself is amazing!!!

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:02:30 pm »
Here is the order form for the coffee and a few pics of what I got there.  Their email is: rholbala@gmail.com

Hope this helps.

• ktbffh
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2011, 11:39:59 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:56:57 pm »
You were able to find a roaster on Gmarket for 200k?? Can you post a link? I might be interested in purchasing one, as i really miss the one i left back home.

If you could also post a link to the green beans that you are interested in, I might be interested in sharing, but at the moment I am able to buy pretty decent coffee from a seller called "Bean Cent" on Gmarket for very reasonable prices and the coffee is surprisingly fresh too!

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:55:17 pm »
http://item.gmarket.co.kr/detailview/Item.asp?goodscode=244661368

Not a great roaster by any stretch. No variable temp. plus the chamber is non-separating so you have to tip over the whole machine to empty beans into cooling bowl. Still...makes a good cup and scares the cat.

As for the kind of beans I plan to buy.... The site I've been brousing is www.gtbeans.com.

I'm open to buying different varieties. So far I've ordered a kilo each of Vietnam Aribica,  Bali Kintamani, and Tansanian AA.  Also looking to get some Luwak via the link posted above by Shellib.

But... I don't have a preferred variety yet, I'm looking to try as many as possible hence the buddy search....