Read 2942 times

Darts lessons
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:48:01 am »
Hey y'all,

Need some help in the dart department stat. In my small town the way of the dart rules the roast and the hierarchy is judged upon how good you are at darts (I didn't write the rules) and I SUCK. On fridays and saturdays the bottom 2 losers from 501 or cricket have to buy the winners drinks and I'm bleeding money.

HELP ME!

I've tried looking at notes online but they're actually making me worse. Does anyone know about any possible darts lessons in Seoul? Or ANY way to get better? Normally I would just play for fun but this tyranny has been going on too long... TOO LONG I SAY!

nb ;)

• sbelleball
  • Adventurer

• February 18, 2011, 09:08:37 am
    • South Korea
Re: Darts lessons
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:30:15 pm »
Don't know of any lessons, but I can give you a few tips.

Throw the dart from your chest, don't throw it like you would a baseball or football. This helps you keep control over where it will hit the board.

Line your dominant foot up (if you're right handed, your right foot) with where you want the dart to hit the board.  Never take your eye off the dart board (especially the number you're trying to get).

Always aim for the inner most section of your number. This leaves you with a better chance to hit the bullseye!

There just beginner's tips, but hope they help!  Good luck 8)

• prazeboy
  • Waygookin

• September 28, 2010, 10:04:33 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:30:52 pm »
Practice! Unfortunately it is pretty much the only way to get better at darts. With cricket some strategy can help as well though.

• Loki001
  • Adventurer

• April 13, 2011, 08:09:47 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:34:27 am »
There is a dart hagwon next to my school but I don't think they teach adults.

• bullzai
  • Veteran

• June 04, 2011, 11:44:14 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »
I'm pretty decent at darts, have won a tournament or two here. I live in Incheon, if you are willing to come out here I would play with you for fun and give you pointers.

Other than that, keep in mind your grip, darts, and throw all matter. As beginner advice, pick up the dart as you would a pencil or pen. Make sure you are comfortable.

As said before, line your throwing shoulder up in a line with where you want to hit. Your elbow is the only thing that should move in your throw until you follow through with your wrist. Make sure you follow through! You should be pointing more or less where your dart was supposed to go/did go.

Also, don't pull your arm back and forth before you throw, like little mini practice throws. Just back, and forward release, one smooth motion. Otherwise, you misalign yourself.

Strategy is a whole 'nother ballgame...best explained over several games.

• wawawawonder
  • Adventurer

• November 30, 2010, 10:37:09 am
    • Sokcho, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:41:42 am »
Always aim for the inner most section of your number. This leaves you with a better chance to hit the bullseye!

Surely, that's not the best advice? Top players play mainly for triple twenties at the start of a game as they're worth 60. If that's blocked, they might head for triple 19s (57).

I'm not a great darts player but surely, the close to bull you aim, the greater the chance that you're going to veer off from your high-scoring target (e.g. 20s) and hit the low-scoring area either side (e.g. 5 and 1)?

• prazeboy
  • Waygookin

• September 28, 2010, 10:04:33 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:38:14 am »
yes usually but in Korea the whole bull counts for 50points which makes it a much bigger target than triple 20

• bullzai
  • Veteran

• June 04, 2011, 11:44:14 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »

Surely, that's not the best advice? Top players play mainly for triple twenties at the start of a game as they're worth 60. If that's blocked, they might head for triple 19s (57).

I'm not a great darts player but surely, the close to bull you aim, the greater the chance that you're going to veer off from your high-scoring target (e.g. 20s) and hit the low-scoring area either side (e.g. 5 and 1)?

This is only really how you play in steel darts. Reason being is in soft darts (not just Korea, everywhere) the bull is worth 50 points. You have more surface area to hit when comparing with triple 20 or 19. Sure you may hit one 60, but then get 2 ones following it. Unless you are incredibly good, bullseye is what to go for in soft tip. Even steel players throw for bull when they play soft tip.

That said, when you start playing cricket, you are of course going to need to hit the trebles, so you still need to practice it.

Muscle memory!

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 07:43:41 pm »
love these replies thanks a lot guys  ;)