Read 2625 times

Demo classes
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:08:00 am »
Does anyone know if there are any demo classes coming up this term for high schools in the area? I'd be interested to attend one...

In October I'll be attending my first ever demo class in Hwasoon. Whoever you are... hi! Exciting stuff after teaching so many myself I've completely lost count.

Re: Demo classes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:49:32 am »
High school demo classes are a great idea; who is organising it and what area are you talking about?

The elementary teachers in Mokpo are trying to organise classroom visits.  I don't know if it's the same thing, but it's where one teacher teaches their classes in front of a flock of foreigners.  If nothing else it really puts your school life into perspective.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 03:04:13 pm »
Yea, I high school demos would be great. especially since i'm considering moving to high school (maybe) after this term. but the high school teachers work under a different program than us, hence why i don't know the schedule...

The demo classes I'm talking about - and have had to do a sh*t load of in the past - are when the native teacher (with co-teacher) has to teach a special (super fancy) class in front of a load of korean (with the occasional foreigner) teachers. sometimes they're fun...

you don't get those?!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:55:48 am by Dayle »

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 09:59:45 am »
I found that high schools do have demo classes but since the Native Speakers are exposing the students to culture and not actually teaching the English language, they are exempt.

If anybody is in Mokpo and would like to see a high school you are welcome to drop by.   If you're not Korean they'll just assume that you're my friend.

Stalkers not welcomed.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:58:46 am by jellomando »

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 02:37:28 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm teaching the English language or not... I seem to be here to keep up the mysterious foreigner vibe. anyhoo, would love to drop by but without an official invite i probably couldn't escape classes. who's your supervisor? maybe i could get them to hook up.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:54:24 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm teaching the English language or not...

Depends on your contract with the public education system; most high school native speakers are on the JCP contract while the middle and elementary native speakers are on the JLP; the C is for culture and the L is for language.  They're same same but different, especially when it comes to curriculum.

Send me a p.m. with your contact information and I'll hook you up.