Read 1952 times

• Loki001
  • Adventurer

• April 13, 2011, 08:09:47 am
    • Bucheon
Where do you practice your Korean?
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:46:14 pm »
Hello,

I have been here for just under two years now. I am getting married soon and really need to get myself on a more serious path to gaining fluency. I have mostly studied alone and through language exchanges. I'm not a terrible but I have a long way to go.

Like most people I am most fluent when shopping or ordering food. Because, in these situations you're required and expected to speak Korean. At work in in my social groups I'm surrounded by English. Everyone's English is much higher than my Korean so it's just not practical to use it very much.

How do you go out an practice your Korean in real life?

• vw08
  • Super Waygook

• May 11, 2011, 01:26:31 am
    • South Korea
Re: Where do you practice your Korean?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:09:06 pm »
Have you considered a language exchange either with a local university student or professional in your area?  Yes, it would be partly in English, but it might be a good opportunity to discuss a variety of topics/issues.

• Loki001
  • Adventurer

• April 13, 2011, 08:09:47 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 02:39:55 pm »
Yes, I have done exactly that. It's helpful. I'm looking for other ideas though.

Like maybe people have volunteered for community service groups, or joined some sport where they could get by with their limited language ability.

• chasmmi
  • Veteran

• January 21, 2012, 02:30:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:41:16 pm »
Try to make some friends who speak little to no Korean whatsover and have no desire to learn.

Talking Bars can be good for this as the people behind the counters often speak no English and are happy to speak Korean (although your fiance make not like you frequenting them even though the right ones are perfectly harmless.)

May (assuming your fiance is Korea), she can arrange meeting or dinner parties with her non-English speaking friends. Maintain that even if it feels awkward at first you want to get accustomed to an English-free enviroment.

Language exchanges can be good but it is easy to fall into a trap of speaking mostly English all the time as it is the easier option.

THe Best way is to put yourself in situations where speaking English is not an option.

• furtakk
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 08:42:26 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 11:33:25 am »
Oddly enough, the most/best practice I get is with other foreigners (who don't speak English or at least not well enough). Our Korean abilities are usually quite similar so there is never really a difficulty understanding each other and we usually stick to similar grammar, vocab, etc. The only downside of this is you're more prone to pick up bad habits, but I feel that if you're actively studying you can spot your bad habits yourself and correct them. I met nearly all of them through classes. If you're just studying on your own, it may be a bit difficult to meet such people. There's a big language exchange in Hongdae/Gangnam (language cast) that includes other languages besides English/Korean. I've only been a couple times, but there are always a handful of Japanese speakers looking to practice Korean.