Read 8881 times

• sdcmma
  • Newgookin

• December 04, 2011, 07:49:34 am
Paying Bills Through ATM
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:29:38 am »
Hi, I just paid my first two bills through the ATM at my bank (KB Bank) yesterday.  I was wondering how the company knows who sent the bill - I would imagine that they can see the name/account number, but my bills are not addressed to me specifically and I didn't have a Korean address when I got my bank account, so I don't think my account is linked to my address at all.  Will they be able to figure out who the payment is from?  If not, how should I correct the situation/pay bills in the future?

Thanks!!

Re: Paying Bills Through ATM
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:51 am »
I've used an ATM to pay my bill for about 2 years now and never had a problem. Just wait for next month's bill to arrive and you'll see that your transaction was successful.

If you have any doubt, just keep your ATM transaction slip and let your co-teacher contact the company. I'm sure you won't have a problem.

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:37:49 am »
Is it hard to pay a bill through your ATM? I always pay at the bank, but it's a pain in the ass...
*click*

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:31:48 am »
Is it hard to pay a bill through your ATM? I always pay at the bank, but it's a pain in the ass...

If you don't need to go to the bank, I do, then it's must easier to just pay at a local ATM.  I pay all my bills on payday and then send money home each month.  You can have your KT help you the first time but then it's easy.  Cheers
It's -ev to deal with some people.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:40:34 am »
Hi, I just paid my first two bills through the ATM at my bank (KB Bank) yesterday.  I was wondering how the company knows who sent the bill - I would imagine that they can see the name/account number, but my bills are not addressed to me specifically and I didn't have a Korean address when I got my bank account, so I don't think my account is linked to my address at all.  Will they be able to figure out who the payment is from?  If not, how should I correct the situation/pay bills in the future?

Thanks!!

That account number you transfer to- it is a unique number for you. So it doesn't matter who pays it (i've used my friends card when I haven't had the cash in electronic form). As long as that account number receives the amount on the bill (the ATM will reject the transaction if you enter the wrong amount of Won).

I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• crisbo
  • Waygookin

• March 15, 2012, 01:35:39 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:41:37 pm »
I was told by my co-t that it doesn't matter who pays the bill or how, as long as the account is paid it's all dandy. I'm still very confused about ATM's and bank books and just about everything else, but I am pretty sure I've been paying my bills.  ???

• vw08
  • Super Waygook

• May 11, 2011, 01:26:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:29 pm »
I was told by my co-t that it doesn't matter who pays the bill or how, as long as the account is paid it's all dandy. I'm still very confused about ATM's and bank books and just about everything else, but I am pretty sure I've been paying my bills.  ???

Basically, your bank book functions identically to your card at an ATM.  You can make transfers, withdrawals and check your balance by inserting your bank book instead of your card. 

I use it regularly to keep updated on where I have been spending my money since I am not the greatest at keeping receipts.  Each time I use my bankbook at an ATM, it automatically updates with all the transactions that went on for that account since the last time it was updated. I write in my bankbook what each deposit, withdrawal and card usage was for so I know how I am doing financially.  It's also an interesting way to practice reading Hangul! 

The problem I had when I was first using my bank book was that I did not know which way to put the bank book in so the ATM could read the magnetic strip.  After a few tries I got it. 

• curds
  • Veteran

• May 25, 2011, 01:48:57 pm
    • south africa
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 06:39:47 pm »
Hey guys,

I really need to figure out how to use the ATM to pay my bills, can anyone tell me where to look for the account number? Also how do I know which bank I need to transfer it to? I tried finding a bank name on the bill but no luck.

Thanks

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »
if you go to the bank where your account is located, doesnt matter what branch it is in the lobby you'll see a machine designed to pay bills, you insert your card then at the bottom you can insert the payment stub into the machine, keep doing it for each bill, then when finished you'll enter your pin and get a receipt.

first time you try and do it, just ask the security guard to help you. it will be the most productive thing he does all day.

• sdcmma
  • Newgookin

• December 04, 2011, 07:49:34 am
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:02:56 pm »

No, it's quite easy.  It was my first time paying bills in Korea, and it took about 5 minutes.  I don't know if it's different for other ATMs, but at this one I just put my card into the ATM, selected "transfer," picked one of the banks listed on the bill, entered the account number, entered the amount of money, and confirmed the transaction.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 07:12:37 am »
Hey guys,

I really need to figure out how to use the ATM to pay my bills, can anyone tell me where to look for the account number? Also how do I know which bank I need to transfer it to? I tried finding a bank name on the bill but no luck.

Thanks

On your bill, there will be a box (usually) that has a few things in it. The main thing is an amount of won ...then under it will be either different bank symbols (or their names), each followed by an account number (so 8 or so digits, i forget now....but they have dashes (-) interspersed as well).

Look for that.

When you go to the atm, choose a bank you want to use (usually choose your bank if you are at your bank's atm, as it saves transaction fees), and use the account transfer option- transfer to the account number (no dashes) and then the amount of won, written above the account numbers.

Sorry if this is confusing, I would take a photo of a bill for you if I was at home.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• sivadakire
  • Waygookin

• December 26, 2011, 03:40:44 pm
    • Seattle, USA
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:31:44 pm »
This worked for me. Thanks  ;D

• rahfh
  • Adventurer

• April 05, 2012, 02:57:17 pm
    • Uijeonbu, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 02:48:21 pm »
Im totally going to try this! Thanks
 :D

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:45:25 pm »
Hey guys,

Thanks

Banks do have a special machine for paying bills, but its not so user friendly as I've always found theres no English option.

YOu CAN pay your bills at the ATM where you do your other regular banking.
On each bill there should be a section with a bunch of different account numbers you can transfer $ to.  1 for each bank.  Reason being, you can choose the same bank as yours to avoid paying the bank machine transfer fee.

Some bills show a little logo for each bank, but some spell out the bank names in Korean, so you may have to ask someone to show you your bank name if you can't read Korean.

Then you simply do an ATM bank account transfer. The bank wlil help you if you haven't done one yet. Super quick and super easy.
much more preferable than using the actual bill paying machine.  That way you can pay after hours too :)  also, each account number is unique to you, so they know who is paying the bill^^