Read 1135 times

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
Has anyone found a good map (map book) of smaller roads/highways in Korea? I used to have one in Canada, and they're awesome for travelling on the path less crowded.

I'm starting to ride a motorbike again, and I love it, but without knowing my way around the small roads, I'm stuck riding on the highway, which
doesn't bother me in itself, but having drunken Koreans watching TV while they're tailgating me at 100 km/h sucks sometimes...plus, I enjoy the scenery afforded by smaller roads much more than big highways...

Any suggestions? Titles? SKU numbers? Stores? (Kyobo?)

Thanks,
Tamas
*click*

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
Re: Has anyone found a good backroads/small highways mapbook for Korea?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:49:46 pm »
Thanks, I shall!

Anyone else? :)
*click*

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »
Try the OpenStreetMap (OSM) project at www.osm.org

I am a contributor there, but we need more people to contribute data, and more people to verify what is there.  You need a GPS, but there might be one in your phone which you can tap into.

You can use Navit (free, open source Satnav software) to see the map:

http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Download_Navit#Portable_devices_.28_Porting_for_mobile_phone.2FPDA_.29

Then you can either follow the roads you can see on the map, and verify the accuracy of the data, or you can follow a road that you like, and add it to the data later (so the next guy can see it).  Set your GPS to recording mode, to get a trace of where you've been, then use OSM software to draw the real roads on top of the trace you made.

Even without satnav software you are free to browse the OSM maps and print them.  There are also some projects running that will take OSM data and make an atlas for you to print.  Of course, this relies on the existence of complete and accurate data...

• Sara
  • Featured Contributor

• September 01, 2010, 08:58:35 am
    • Chungcheongbukdo
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »
I found a good map in the strangest of all places....the bus station mini mart. I'm not sure if bus riders are really interested in maps but if not, more for us!