Read 30047 times

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: obesity in Korea
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2012, 03:38:55 pm »
You don't have to be fat to be unhealthy. Don't be fooled into thinking that skinny Koreans are super healthy.

and don't be fooled into thinking you can justify someone being overweight by trying to claim that there are some skinny people who are also unhealthy. A skinny person (so long as they aren't dangerously underweight) has a much higher chance of being healthy than a fat person.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2012, 04:39:49 pm »
The elderly who are underweight have higher mortality rates than the elderly who are a bit overweight. That is a fact.

Again, who the heck do you care how heavy someone else is? Increase your own cardio and muscles and forget about how flabby others are. ... Wait, mom, is that you?

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2012, 04:59:55 pm »
The elderly who are underweight have higher mortality rates than the elderly who are a bit overweight. That is a fact.
Any 75 year old english teachers here? Raise your hands...

Elderly lose weight over time as they get older and shrink. Yes one that is slightly overweight might last a little longer than one that is slightly underweight.

It isn't remotely relevant to the discussion at hand.
On average, an average weight person vs someone overweight will be healthier.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2012, 12:51:26 am »

Elderly lose weight over time as they get older and shrink. Yes one that is slightly overweight might last a little longer than one that is slightly underweight.

If you overlook a number of factors, sure. It actually takes a lot of effort to actually be healthy and reducing it to skinny vs fat is stupid.

Many Koreans are skinny but have hypertension problems. They're unhealthy.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2012, 04:46:18 am »
Just when I thought there were no obese people in Korea (I've seen plenty of fatties), I was at Cafe Bene fooling around on the laptop when I saw two whales of epic porportions waddle in.  I have never never seen a Korean as fat as the ones back in America.  In comparison to my visit last year, I saw no such thing in Cheonan (now I'm in Gwangmyeong).  Obesity is definitely on the rise in Korea.

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2012, 08:34:50 am »

If you overlook a number of factors, sure. It actually takes a lot of effort to actually be healthy and reducing it to skinny vs fat is stupid.

Yes and taking into account those same factors across a population, those that are skinnier will tend to be healthier than those that are overweight. Do you have any statistics on hypertension in Korea or "just a few friends" that have it?

As it is, a lot of obese people have hypertension
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&refer=home&sid=aXNePWl9.Jkc

There are many factors that make people unhealthy and obesity is one of the biggest ones.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2012, 02:51:44 pm »

Yes and taking into account those same factors across a population, those that are skinnier will tend to be healthier than those that are overweight. Do you have any statistics on hypertension in Korea or "just a few friends" that have it?

As it is, a lot of obese people have hypertension
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&refer=home&sid=aXNePWl9.Jkc

There are many factors that make people unhealthy and obesity is one of the biggest ones.

There is a difference between being fat and being obese. Obesity is a crude measure if you're just talking about weight. With 19% being the cut-off, I'm considered healthy even though I am not skinny. I'm not disputing that the average skinny person will be more healthy than the average obese person, but to just dumb it down to fat vs. skinny is ignorant.

As for hypertension stats in Koreans, http://spo.escardio.org/eslides/view.aspx?eevtid=40&fp=5231

I'm trying to find a Western equivalent but Asian medical societies currently seem to be more keen on public access journals than ours.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2012, 03:00:28 pm »
I wasn't reducing it to that. I was simply taking someone to task for trying to justify fat people by claiming skinny people can be unhealthy too. Yes they can, but on average they're still likely to be more healthy overall than a fat or obese person.

This is one of those common enabling excuses. "skinny people can be unhealthy to, so I don't need to lose weight"

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2012, 11:48:02 pm »
You can be a healthy fat person, though. Just as you can be an unhealthy skinny person. While the automatic assumption is fat people are trying to make excuses for being fat by throwing skinny people under the bus, it isn't always the case. 19% body fat is on the very high end of healthy. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcharts.htm

If you're concerned about other peoples' health, make sure you also take to task that "health-conscious" people love to justify skinniness as healthiness.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2012, 07:58:19 am »
Frozen's liking this topic :).

Hey man, I don't know. I've always heard from people in gyms and online fitness forums that weightlifting increases bone density b/c your bones need to be stronger as well to lift heavier things. That's just anecdotal but I have no reason not to believe it (and really, I'm not too worried if it's true or not).

"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd