Read 8517 times

• kobrie22
  • Waygookin

• August 26, 2011, 09:46:49 am
    • Seoul
Modern Family
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:13:57 pm »
I used this lesson the week after midterms because I knew it would be difficult to keep their attention for too long.  I showed them the pilot episode of Modern Family (can be streamed with korean subs at http://www.mgoon.com/view.htm?id=5083826 )
While they were watching, I gave them a family tree with some of the names missing and asked them to follow along and fill them in while the characters were introduced. 
After the episode we went through the names they should have written down (the 2nd slide of the ppt has a complete tree to show them) and then we went over the names you would call different family members. 
I also took some time to go over the cultural things in the episode.  The kids all get a little :o about the gay couple and jay's young 2nd wife but I try to talk about why the show is called "MODERN family" and what families might look like in american culture. 

Re: Modern Family
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:00:11 pm »
This seems like a good post-exams lesson, but I'm not sure how the gay couple would go over in class. Actually I know it would result in censure from the co-teachers and mockery from the male students. I'm not interested in rocking the boat, though, and I really try to steer clear of controversial topics like this. Can anyone else tell me how it went over in class?

• Abbyite
  • Adventurer

• September 14, 2011, 05:19:15 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:21:34 am »
I have showed this episode and many others at my high school and one of my middle schools.  It went over well. They were ok with the gay couple.  I explained the show before hand and said that it was a satire about American families and to be open minded.  I also gave a Korea wants to be global speech and that helped too.  The kids were a little nervous along with my co teacher but the first episode was so funny they forgot about the gay couple.  Also the first episode makes fun of some stereotypes which ease my students.  They love the gay couple now because they are funny.  The love the "sports guy chest bump."  At my main school I do have a conservative co teacher and some closed minded students so I have not shown it there.  At my main school they are very racist and closed minded and problem children so I ease certain things slowly in.  I am currently teaching them about different cultures and stereotypes and racism to help them to become open minded. It is working slowly but surely with some small set backs here and there.  I would talk to your co teacher about it.  If you really want to show the video then make mention of Korea going global.  I hope this helped.

• cassie
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 04:37:58 pm
    • Jeollanamdo
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:17:55 pm »
At my boys middle school, they love Modern Family. When they saw the first episode and realized they were gay, I heard a few students say, "gay?" but I had no problems with either students or a more conservative co-teacher. I think you're ok!

• flukeriffic
  • Veteran

• March 03, 2011, 10:39:44 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:40:29 pm »
Just be careful, when Gloria gets interviewed, she talks about how she and her ex-husband just had sex, sex, and sex.

My co-teacher definitely did not approve, and I started to just fast forward through that part.

• tsacelbuod
  • Adventurer

• April 20, 2012, 09:09:48 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 05:29:03 pm »
kobrie22, i just wanted to thank you for your post, link, and handout. i teach saturday classes at a girls' middle school and, because of this show and your help, it turned out to be one of the best saturday sessions i've ever taught. i taught it from the perspective that the modern usa family is changing and is completely different from that of the 1950's or 1960's usa family.

after watching the show and going over the handout, i had the students create their own, semi-extensive family tree. they surprisingly seemed to enjoy it. i set them up with sketchbook paper and colored markers and it turned out to be a hit. if any of the students finished early, i had them write down sentences describing their primary family members (mother, father, and siblings).

i was very satisfied with how things turned out. i actually brought up the issue of homosexuality gradually being accepted and one of the girls mentioned that the previous g.e.t. showed episodes of glee (which has a gay couple in it from my understanding). i even talked about how handsome k-pop stars satisfy girls by attempting to kiss each other. one of my girls told me that, basically, if boys are super handsome, then having them kiss is okay. if the boys are not handsome, then it's not. a couple of the girls in class didn't even like the idea of handsome stars kissing each other.

the f word appears in the subtitles. i pretty much paused the video and told the girls that i would get mad if i ever heard them say that word. i was straight with them, so they know that they shouldn't play around with that word when i am present.

once again, thank you kobrie22! you really saved my ass yesterday! i just wanted to show my gratitude.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:32:39 pm by tsacelbuod »

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:38 am »
This does look awesome! I think I'll try it on my Saturday class...They are HS students and CT that day....Should be easy to guide them though it. WHAT AN AWESOME SHOW.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:08:44 am »
I've shown it at my boys high school a couple of times, without any prior explanations or anything (I've enjoyed seeing the reactions to Cam and Mitchell...) as an end of class filler. I've never had any problems with the "gay" factor that is in this show. Other than the students saying the whole "gay???" thing. I think it's probably been a good cultural experience!!

• dash17
  • Veteran

• August 05, 2011, 07:11:00 pm
    • New Zealand : Wellington
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:49:24 pm »
Warning. The subtitles for the pilot episode contain the phrase "What the ****"

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 11:12:11 am »
the gay thing seemed to go okay. The students had a fun time deciding who would be the "mother". Although I attempted to fast forward through the "what the f*ck" part as well as Gloria saying "fight and make love and fight and make love". This seemed to disrupt the flow of the video as well as the lesson.

Do you guys have any issues showing those pieces?