Read 2078 times

• Fad9567
  • Waygookin

• December 05, 2011, 09:31:17 am
    • South Korea
Discipline
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:22:02 pm »
Just wanted to get basic thoughts on what you guys have done. I have heard many many reward systems and that is all fine and great but when kids don't listen not giving them a reward only goes so far. I have heard of having them do wall sits, having them go to back of the class room or lifting their arms. Any certain ones work better than others? Also it does not have to be physical. I have heard of making them stay after class a minute for each disruption they create, but I don't want them to be late for other classes because of mine.

Re: Discipline
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:30:41 pm »
They'll only need to be late for another class once. After that, the simple threat of it will make them shape up. (If it doesn't, your school's got bigger problems than one unruly class.)

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:32:14 pm »
Ah yes discipline...it has become my favorite thing...ㅋㅋㅋ

I keep them after school. Child psychologists say, 1 min for every year of their life is sufficient. I usually reserve that for when they're really bad and start with 7 mins after school. I come to their homeroom and they have to sit with their eyes closed and hands folded on the desk.

If they're really bad, I also make them clean the classroom. ㅋㅋㅋ

I have kicked out boys who were disrespectful. They don't want that because my VP roams the halls and if child is out class during class time he will ask why and they will get in trouble... :P

I also count down from 5-1 and they know at the count of 1 they need to be seated and quiet or they will be in trouble.
It really depends on bad they are. If it's not too bad, take away their game for that day. Have you tried writing "Games" on the board and erasing a letter every time they are not listening. I haven't done it this year but it works pretty good in simply noisy classes.
Good luck!
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:33:28 pm »
Make them late for class. It is a great punishment. If it is only a few kids I make them do wall squats or have them extend their arms out horizontally bend at the elbow up and hold two books in each hand for 5 minutes.

When my kids are late they have to sing and dance to Korean children's songs.  Works really well.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:05:32 am »
Get a nice little self-policing Lord of the Flies situation going on, and they will take care of the loose cannons for you.

I write the class "schedule" on the board, and underneath the game I have 6 circles. If they're bad, they lose a circle. If they lose all circles, the game is cancelled, and depending on the lesson the class will (a) stand up for the remainder of the class listening + repeating, (b) spelling test. Both options will make your kids blanch. I've only had to do it twice and never had a problem in the classes again.

The important thing is that no matter *what* discipline program you chose you need to communicate it to the students. They need to know what will happen and why.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:06 am »
When students act up, I don't say anything. I just stand in front of the class and just look at them and not say a word. The other students will tell them to be quiet and if that doesn't work, the co-teacher will take them outside for punishment. I know some teachers get angry but why get angry? You are losing your class but also losing control of yourself and the students see that. Makes your look vulnerable.
The only punishment that I use is called the STAND UP CLUB. If your head is on the desk, you lose your seat and have to stand.

• Dweebs1
  • Veteran

• December 07, 2010, 02:52:11 pm
    • Yeongwol, Gangwon-do
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:36:00 am »
About 3 or 4 of my grade three students started acting up the first day of class. I got on to them the first and seond time. On the third time I made them change seats. In my classroom I have three rolls of desks, with two desks next to each other in a roll. Now the grade three students have to sit boy girl, boy girl, and boy girl for two months.