Read 30301 times

• S.Lee
  • Super Waygook

• January 24, 2011, 01:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Seoul to Daejeon: Bus? KTX? Other? Price?
« on: March 14, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »
After a bit of searching i've come up with different prices for the KTX and buses so I'm not sure what to go by (Without actually going to the station)
I'm trying to weigh my options for a trip down to daejeon this weekend (from seoul)

Has anyone else taken a bus or KTX from seoul to daejeon station? how much was it?

oh.. and sorry if this is in the wrong part of the board, i wasnt sure where to post this.

Re: Seoul to Daejeon: Bus? KTX? Other? Price?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:26:35 pm »
I did the opposite in Sunday morning. Its around 25000 one way for a ktx and will take you an hour. No idea about the bus, but I am assuming it is almost a 3 hour journey

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:04:30 pm »
After a bit of searching i've come up with different prices for the KTX and buses so I'm not sure what to go by (Without actually going to the station)
I'm trying to weigh my options for a trip down to daejeon this weekend (from seoul)

Has anyone else taken a bus or KTX from seoul to daejeon station? how much was it?

oh.. and sorry if this is in the wrong part of the board, i wasnt sure where to post this.

-Seoul to Daejeon via KTX is around 22,000 KRW

-using a slower train (Mugughwa) is around 10,000 KRW, but takes two hours

-From Yongsan, the train drops you off at Seodaejeon Station, but that station isn't connected to Daejeon's subway (although Oryong Station is about 5 minutes away by walk). KTX and Mugughwa is also available on this line; Mugughwa is more common on this line than on the Seoul to Daejeon line.

-Bus takes 2 hours (1 hr and 30 to 45 minutes if there's no traffic) and is around 14,000 KRW for  the premium bus (arm rest between seats; more leg room; and greater recline) and less than 10,000 KRW for the economy/standard bus. The bus will drop you off at Daejeon's express bus terminal (east side of the city), but there is subway station nearby. 

Where are you going? I can tell which would be the best route.

What to take when you return? It depends where you live in Seoul. If you live in the east side, taking the bus may be fasting than KTX because the bus terminals are around there (one at Express bus Terminal Station and the other at Technomart near Jamsil).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:19:24 pm by Davey »
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• Rootleaf
  • Adventurer

• June 22, 2011, 01:50:43 pm
    • Uijeongbu
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:31:36 am »
I've taken both the bus and KTX and both were fine. For me, the bus is better because the terminal is closer to where I need to be. If I took the KTX, it would require more time transferring.

• S.Lee
  • Super Waygook

• January 24, 2011, 01:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 07:48:03 am »
Im not too sure where I'm going in daejeon. Im supposed to meet my friend at daejeon station? But she's assuming im taking the KTX, so maybe it wouldnt matter where i go as long as i tell her beforehand

22,000 KRW isnt too bad. I guess the prices I saw (~50,000) were for a trip down to busan

I live in northern seoul (nowon) so I'm assuming I'm gonna have to commute quite a bit when i get back to seoul anyways (im used to it by now)

What is traffic like on the bus/slow train on friday evenings?

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:59:47 am »
whenever i go to seoul from daejeon, i usually take the mugunghwa to seoul, and the KTX back... it weirdly makes me feel like i'm saving money.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:08 pm »
Im not too sure where I'm going in daejeon. Im supposed to meet my friend at daejeon station? But she's assuming im taking the KTX, so maybe it wouldnt matter where i go as long as i tell her beforehand

22,000 KRW isnt too bad. I guess the prices I saw (~50,000) were for a trip down to busan

I live in northern seoul (nowon) so I'm assuming I'm gonna have to commute quite a bit when i get back to seoul anyways (im used to it by now)

What is traffic like on the bus/slow train on friday evenings?

Well, that's the advantage of taking the train--no traffic. Traffic shouldn't be too bad Friday going to Daejeon, though. I'd consider taking the Mugughwa to either Daejeon Station or Seodaejeon Station. Like I said, it's more frequent on the Yongsan line (which goes to Seodaejeon), so perhaps ask your friend to meet you at Seodaejeon Station instead.

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:47:54 pm »
Here's a site that's meant to help you get from one city in Korea to another.

http://www.koreatransportation.info/

The site has information on express and intercity buses that go between cities, as well as information on trains (KTX, Saemaeul, Mugunghwa, Nuriro, and so on).

To use, simply type in the start and destination cities. You can mess with the other options if you like, but just click search to research leaving right *now*.  ;D  It will show you trips with and without transfers, and everything's in English (along with Korean that you can show to your taxi driver).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:47:05 pm by HanGookSolo »