Read 15512 times

Re: Having a Car in Korea - questions about fines and tax
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 02:13:55 pm »
I'm in the same boat.  I've been driving without insurance for several years.  I decided to drop it when I got hit by a lady and insurance failed to do anything.  She just drove off without an apology even though she had more damage to her car.  I moved so they havent found me yet to assess fees.  Eventually will just abandon car somewhere before I leave Korea.

I was charged over a million KRW for my yearly insurance.  This past spring my tire blew out and cost me another million in bullshit repairs to my undercarriage and front bumper.  Guess what insurance covered?  F*cking nothing.  Apparently I'm paying for if I do damage to someone else's body or car, and maybe for my own bodily damage, but they don't pay jack shit for my own car.  Was livid.

That's pretty common with most insurance.  You usually pay your own repairs if your car isn't damaged in a car accident.  I paid a million won my first year and have paid about 420,000 won a year the last couple of years.  But, unlike Koreans, I've never been in an accident because I don't drive like @$$.  Same in Canada, my rate fell with a better driving record.   

Re: Having a Car in Korea - questions about fines and tax
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 02:16:03 pm »
I'm in the same boat.  I've been driving without insurance for several years.  I decided to drop it when I got hit by a lady and insurance failed to do anything.  She just drove off without an apology even though she had more damage to her car.  I moved so they havent found me yet to assess fees.  Eventually will just abandon car somewhere before I leave Korea.

Fees?  The lady drove off and hit you.  Why are you assesed fees?