Read 1084 times

September or March?
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:38:19 am »
Just curious, what are the pros and cons of starting your contract in March vs September?

I think if you start in March, it's less confusing as you start and end with the school year.  If your contract runs from September to September, you're coming in half-way through the year and ending at only half-way through the year (so you don't get a full curriculum year, you get 2 half-years which I think  makes it confusing and challenging).

What else do you think is good or bad about March vs September?  Which would you prefer?

• jcurban
  • Explorer

• March 05, 2012, 02:58:57 pm
    • South Korea
Re: September or March?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:51:13 am »
You make a good point. It would be odd to have two half year classes. Plus, starting in March, means you get to come to Korea as  things begin to warm up! If you couldn't tell, I hate the cold.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:51:13 am »
I guess one positive of starting in September is I am able to go back to school when I return home.  Although I will have only 3 days between arriving home and first day of class, I don't have to sit around and wait a semester.

*Going back to school for nursing, I have a biology degree so it will only take me 4 full semester with 1 part time semester.

• Leez
  • Adventurer

• May 11, 2011, 11:08:58 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:54:51 pm »
March as it is good to start at the beginning of the school year! Also you start as the weather is starting to heat up so you have a chance to settle in nicely and enjoy all the great stuff to do in Korea before winter comes and kills your will to live... (Yes, I hate the cold too!) :)

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:26:58 pm »
i came in august. the half year thing didnt really bother me. i was happy with coming in the august/sept epik group because i had 2 months of great weather to enjoy the country before it got marginally cold. adventuring well into the evening on a school night was easy and enjoyable. i can't imagine how quickly i would have bunkered in my one room if i came in feb/march (i don't like the cold).