Read 3152 times

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
Christmas Gifts for Coworkers
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:36:29 pm »
Hello,

I was thinking about getting some small gifts for my coworkers.

I was thinking "bigger" gifts for: Principal, Vice Principal, Head of English, Head Co-Teacher
Smaller gifts for: My other co-teachers, the rest of the office on my floor.

My goal is to not offend anybody in the hierarchy. Is it OK if I give those 4 people the same bigger gift? Will the principal get angry if he gets the same thing as the VP? etc.

I haven't given any gifts since I've been here, with an exception to bringing in some macaroons into the office (they loved them). I figure I owe them, as they are hospitable to me.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Christmas Gifts for Coworkers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 12:44:38 pm »
I dunno hey. Last time I did this I worried along the same lines so I tied two small chocolates or something to the Principal's and one to the VPs as a token nod to the hierarchy.

Coincidently, did you know Costco is selling imported French chocolate truffles at the moment for 15 bucks a carton? As in a 2 kg carton. Seriously, pick up some little gift bags from the supermarket and you've got cheap gifts for everyone in the school.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 12:45:53 pm »
Last year, I Gave the Principle (a woman) bottle of wine and the VP a bottle of booze. They really seemed to like that.

As for the my co-teachers and co-workers, we did a secret santa. They really enjoyed it because I made it into a little Christmas party in the English zone. Each teacher brought a simple gift between 10,000 and 20,000 and then each person had their own gift there waiting for them.

A word of caution of the gift giving here. Depending on how "materialistic" you co-workers are, you may run into to trouble with the costs of the presents. It is not unusual for co-workers to drop major cash on the higher ups and anything less could seen insulting. I would recommend getting something classy for the P and VP doing wither a secret santa or food for the other teachers.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:49:40 pm »
Ah, hmm.

I was thinking of giving ferrero rochers! My favorite little chocolate delight.

A big box for the important people, a smaller pack for everybody else (because there are many).

I could nix the chocolate for the P/VP and opt for booze. They are both older gentlemen, but I don't know what's good 'quality' or not or what I can get here in Korea.

• pyeager
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• January 19, 2010, 08:19:14 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 01:09:27 pm »
I would not worry about gift giving too much. I don't think Christmas gift giving has really caught on, so anything is appreciated. If you want to give something to one co-worker, but not others, just tell them it's a secret. You really appreciate all that they have done for you, etc., but you don't feel the same way about the higher ups.

After bending over backward for me last year, my co-teacher got a Bean Pole zip up sweater. He seriously wears that thing like 3 days a week during colder weather...I'm not sure how it's still intact. Because I felt like I was fighting the VP and P with my co-teacher the whole time, they didn't get anything. Anyway, I felt really happy giving him something that he obviously enjoys after he helped me out so much. There was never any backlash.

• JuliusCaesar108
  • Featured Contributor

• March 21, 2010, 08:28:10 pm
    • Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 01:28:32 pm »
Gifts are gifts, meaning you don't really have to.  Give if you want to give, and do whatever you can to build good relations.  Don't expect the dollar won amount of gifts to necessarily build relations, but do something from the heart.  As someone else said, they'll appreciate anything they give you. I gave the vice principal and principal the same gift, an American coin set in plastic sheets and my own personalized message which didn't cost more than a buck a set to make - they loved it.

If someone appreciates your gift (or at least gesture of kindness), they are good to work with, but if there is a negative reaction then it's a possibility they are not good to work with (I say this from experience).
"In my forty-fifth year I, Julius Caesar, witnessed wonderful and frightening things that were to take place in a time that has not yet taken place."  - The Apocalypse of Julius Caesar