Read 1926 times

New Visa Info
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »
I'm wondering about the visa process and the background check. How long does the FBI background check take? Are the results delivered to you and then you take them to immigration? What if something like driving with a suspended driver's license comes up on your background check? Will it be a problem at immigration?  I realize these are specific questions that maybe only immigration can answer, but maybe someone else's been in the same boat. Any info would be useful.

• 501reasons
  • Adventurer

• June 24, 2011, 12:57:57 pm
    • South Korea
Re: New Visa Info
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:44:57 am »
The FBI background check takes about 3 months.  I even called to check on it and the lady told me that they don't even look at it for the first month.  Some people might have gotten it faster, I just don't know how.
As for what shows up on the check, i have no idea.  Maybe you could try calling them and asking?
I think immigration only has a problem with misdemeanors on your background check......don't quote me on that!!!

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:59:19 am »
I'm wondering about the visa process and the background check. How long does the FBI background check take? Are the results delivered to you and then you take them to immigration? What if something like driving with a suspended driver's license comes up on your background check? Will it be a problem at immigration?  I realize these are specific questions that maybe only immigration can answer, but maybe someone else's been in the same boat. Any info would be useful.
If the cops took you in and fingerprinted you, then it would turn up. If they didn't, then it would not turn up. If your case was dismissed and it was expunged from your records, then you can get the FBI to seal your files.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:48:45 am »
My girlfriend is a recruiter. She has seen some minor misdemeanors being cleared by immigration. She says it is basically which officer looks at the check. Some are more strict than others. She also had to write a letter to explain the incident. She had a pubic lewdness on her record.

It also has something to do with the school who will hire you being "OK" with the charge.  So i do think some luck is involved.

I am currently seeking a lawyer to expunged a couple misdemeanors off of my record (expunged) so I can get my visa renewed under the new laws requiring an FBI check. From what I have searched and from a couple lawyers I have talked to this is a expensive. Seems like the average is about $1400 per expunged case. It will take the lawyer 3-4 months to get it expunged and then another 1-2 months after that for it to be updated in the FBI system. 

If anyone has done this process before in a shorter period of time please let me know how and who they hired to do so.
Freedom is like farts... You enjoy yours but usually can't stand other's...

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 04:53:36 pm »
Ok, Yes I'm looking into the same thing. I only have one 2nd degree misdemeanor - non moving traffic violation - so I wonder if it's even worth the money to get expunged.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:49:29 pm »
Don't worry to much about silly stuff like traffic tickets or stuff like that.  I think they are looking for more serious things. 
I think most schools and staff in Korea realize that laws are different from country to country.  I had one person ask me if drunk in public as a serious crime for a teacher.  I was like "well if it was everyone in this school would get fired."   ;D

I think they get that somethings are just silly.  GL
It's -ev to deal with some people.