Read 1998 times

Hello, I am currently an English teacher in the public school system in South Korea. However, my degree is actually in Dance. Anyone know good information on how to become a dance teacher in South Korea? I have heard Hagwons that specialize in art/dance are the best route, or at universities. Any other info?

Re: Anyone Have Information on Becoming A Dance Teacher at A Hagwon?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:35:00 am »
What visa do you qualify for?

If you're just the average American/Canadian/Brit/Irish/Aussie/Kiwi/Saffer on an E-2 visa without a Korean spouse, Korean heritage or a lot of qualifications, you're probably out of luck.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
What visa do you qualify for?

If you're just the average American/Canadian/Brit/Irish/Aussie/Kiwi/Saffer on an E-2 visa without a Korean spouse, Korean heritage or a lot of qualifications, you're probably out of luck.
I've wondered about this myself.  I was at a restaurant last night and our waitress was a western woman.  I assumed she was married to a Korean but she had no ring.  My other thought was she was working illegally on the weekends or something.  That didn't make sense to me though because I'm sure serving at a foreign restaurant wouldn't pay enough for an English teacher to do it.  I did also see an ad for a foreign salesperson at a clothing store.  I don't think the OP is out of options.  I'm sure there is a way to get the visa as long as the employer agrees to be a sponsor.  E-2 isn't the only working visa and in reality most foreigners here aren't on that visa.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:15:56 pm »
I don't think the OP is out of options.  I'm sure there is a way to get the visa as long as the employer agrees to be a sponsor.  E-2 isn't the only working visa and in reality most foreigners here aren't on that visa.

True.  Most foreigners are here on f-4 (gyopo), f-2/f-6 (spousal, some long-term residents or if you pass the point system), f-5 (permanent resident) and e-9 (3d jobs).

Assuming that she doesn't qualify for f-2/f-4/f-5/f-6, since she didn't mention it that she does, she would need an E series visa.  An E-series visa is for employment

Other than E-2, there's a few common types of E series visas.  (a few are fairly rare and not applicable)
E-1 is professors- no chance of getting this one, since she's looking for hagwon work.

E-6 is entertainers- no chance since she's teaching, not dancing as a performance.

E-7 is for 'others'- This generally requires one to be qualified, such as a few years experience.  This might be the best bet.  but you're going to have to demonstrate that you have abilities above and beyond what your average Korean can do.  This isn't given to just anyone.

E-9 is 3D workers/non-professional- Dance teacher would not fall into this category.

If I missed anything, please let me know.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.