Read 1124 times

• msm
  • Explorer

• December 20, 2010, 02:43:43 pm
    • Nonsan, South Korea
Accessing KEB account after permanently leaving Korea
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »
Hi all,

I've recently moved to China for 6 months and had all my affairs in order in terms of finances.

I've used KEB abroad before on vacations in Taiwan and Japan, but I was uncertain of whether I could use it abroad after permanently leaving Korea. To check I went to a KEB branch and explained the situation (I would not be retiring to Korea, and would hand in my ARCard at immigration, but still wanted to withdraw money from the account).

The teller explained that it was completely OK, I could still withdraw my cash from China just like on any other vacation, and furthermore that there was no need to close my account in Korea, because as soon as I'd withdrawn all the cash and the account was dormant for 5 years, it would automatically close. I took her assurance and left for China.

In China (Guangdong Province) none of the ATMs let me withdraw my funds - they all showed my balance. The bank tellers were also stumped as to why it wasn't working because it functions as a VISA card internationally.

I've contacted the KEB in Beijing via email, but heard no reply now after a week.

Can anyone offer any help/advice?